Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #46
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
Yes.
Thanks! I guess I will update next time I charge the Kindle.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:56 PM   #47
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
You're welcome! I was concerned about it too, but took the plunge and crossed my fingers. Thankfully it's working fine.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:16 PM   #48
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
But note that for me after I upgraded they were gone. I then restarted the unit again and they were there.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:21 PM   #49
mike.s
mike.s knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'mike.s knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'mike.s knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'mike.s knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'mike.s knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'mike.s knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'mike.s knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'mike.s knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'mike.s knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'mike.s knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'mike.s knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No. The "whiteness" of the screen is determined by hardware. There's no way it could be changed by a firmware update.
Actually, it might be possible. With LEDs, brightness is almost always controlled using PWM, varying the ratio of on/off. Frequently, it's implemented at a fixed frequency, where when the on time increases, the off time decreases.

White LED color output can vary somewhat when one compares short "on" times with longer ones. That's because the color changes for different currents, and it takes a finite time to turn the LED on or off. So even though the "full on" current stays the same, the average current for each on cycle varies slightly.

So, if one instead does PWM by keeping the on time constant and only changing the off time (and hence the frequency), a more consistent color can be achieved across all levels of brightness. You just need to ensure that the frequency is kept high enough to avoid perceptible flicker. There are other factors which would still cause a bit of color shift (such as LED temperature), but current is the main influence.

I have no idea if the PW hardware supports that, or if newer software does that, but it's not impossible.
mike.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:12 PM   #50
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.s View Post
Actually, it might be possible. With LEDs, brightness is almost always controlled using PWM, varying the ratio of on/off. Frequently, it's implemented at a fixed frequency, where when the on time increases, the off time decreases.

White LED color output can vary somewhat when one compares short "on" times with longer ones. That's because the color changes for different currents, and it takes a finite time to turn the LED on or off. So even though the "full on" current stays the same, the average current for each on cycle varies slightly.

So, if one instead does PWM by keeping the on time constant and only changing the off time (and hence the frequency), a more consistent color can be achieved across all levels of brightness. You just need to ensure that the frequency is kept high enough to avoid perceptible flicker. There are other factors which would still cause a bit of color shift (such as LED temperature), but current is the main influence.

I have no idea if the PW hardware supports that, or if newer software does that, but it's not impossible.
That is some interesting stuff. If somehow the leds and the controller are capable of creating different color-temperature of white, that would work. If it can be adjusted by software alone, than it might even work with software update alone. Right now the leds are pretty much the same color ( a bluish tint). Since the eink background is pretty much warm colored (yellowish) the screen appears whiter with higher lightlevel. It could simply be the blue light finally outblasting the yellow background. The way to compensate for that should be to have the leds not the same color, but more blue at low level, and warmer at high level. That could make the screen appear at the same color temperature, but only different intensity. But all that would only work if the color temperature of the leds in the PW can be changed with software alone.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:50 PM   #51
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
So...is there anything specifically different with this update? I haven't noticed anything so far.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:29 PM   #52
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
So...is there anything specifically different with this update? I haven't noticed anything so far.
Nothing I noticed either. All my fonts still work. I think it may be just a bugs fixed release.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:45 AM   #53
Sapporo
Sapporo began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-t2
Does this update deliver any significant upgrades in PDF functionality?

I'm thinking about getting an e-reader, and my opinion is split between Sony prs-t2 and Kindle Papewhite. Sony currently has superior PDF functionality (faster pan-and-zoom, reflow etc.).
Did the 5.3.3. quicken up the handling of PDF files? Are there still low-memory warnings in larger PDFs? Any new zoom or crop options?

PDFs are a really important feature for me, since i read a ton of them for school. But I'd also really like to have a lit screen. Can't decide what to do.

Thanks!
Sapporo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:41 AM   #54
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If reading PDFs is a priority for you, no 6" device is a good choice. You should be looking at a 9" or 10" tablet - the iPad, or an Android equivalent.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:54 PM   #55
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapporo View Post
Does this update deliver any significant upgrades in PDF functionality?

I'm thinking about getting an e-reader, and my opinion is split between Sony prs-t2 and Kindle Papewhite. Sony currently has superior PDF functionality (faster pan-and-zoom, reflow etc.).
Did the 5.3.3. quicken up the handling of PDF files? Are there still low-memory warnings in larger PDFs? Any new zoom or crop options?

PDFs are a really important feature for me, since i read a ton of them for school. But I'd also really like to have a lit screen. Can't decide what to do.

Thanks!
Actually I think that the PW has better PDF capabilities than the Sony...
I checked out the latter and it has much the same options than the PRS 650 back in the day but the implementation is inconsistent to the point where one feature rules out or blocks another... also the reflow feature does a worse job than Amazon's online conversion, especially when it comes to line breaks...
If you have mostly single column PDFs the size of paperbacks, go for the Paperwhite, if not, get an iPad (or Nexus 10) and Readdle Documents (or ezPdf respectively)...

Last edited by johnnyb; 01-19-2013 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Additional info
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote