Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-14-2010, 12:46 AM   #46
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tyson View Post
Is it an IP address problem?

Could try something else - if using the right OS. - The AOL desktop software can give you a US ip address, if it is an IP address problem.

You choose to set up a new 'home network' connection and use that. I tested it, it works, gives you an AOL ip.

Didn't try buying a book, but did try last.fm for a few minutes to stream some songs, and that worked, when it wouldn't otherwise.
It is best to try Hulu. They will actually tell you if the server is known to be used to bypass regional restrictions.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:50 AM   #47
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Oh yeah, that worked to, at least to the tune of watching a Family Guy short.

Not having particularly fast broadband, not interested in streaming long videos.

Would Hulu block AOL you think?
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2010, 01:13 AM   #48
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Oh yeah, that worked to, at least to the tune of watching a Family Guy short.

Not having particularly fast broadband, not interested in streaming long videos.

Would Hulu block AOL you think?
Might work, I doubt it is fast enough to provide a worthwhile viewing experience. If a lot of people use it Hulu will definitely block it. You can always try, I am using a commercial VPN service for other reasons, but occasionally watch Hulu and it works quite well -- even with a rather slow connection. On a fast connection it is as good as actual, local TV.

My main point was that Hulu updates their IP blacklist rather quickly and is thus an easy way to try out which server to use.

Last edited by HansTWN; 05-14-2010 at 01:15 AM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 03:29 AM   #49
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
Quote:
Is it an IP address problem?
Not necessarily. The regional access control seems to vary from site to site.

I registered at the Sony store as a US based reader from the get go, and I use only gift cards to purchase stuff. Although I have a US credit card, it has a billing address here in France, so I haven't been able to use that at the Sony store. I'm thinking of changing the billing address to the US (since I get my bills electronically anyhow) and see if that allows me to buy directly from Sony.

I'm a long-time Amazon customer (on Amazon.com, .co.uk, .fr and .de) so they have my shipping address and only seem to show me what's available for that address. On many physical items in the US, they'll state that they are "not available for shipping to your usual shipping address" - though that implies that I could have them shipped to someone in the US. On e-books, they only seem to give me the items (and prices) for France - evidently complete with the appropriate VAT added.

Tested this once when a book I wanted had not yet been released in the US, though it was available in the UK (and Australia). The Amazon.com site showed me the e-book currently available outside the US, with the US edition scheduled for release at a later date.

I have yet to have to resort to a VPN for buying from the US or Canada, but I imagine that I'll wind up doing that at some stage, though changing the billing address on my US credit card might be a better solution.
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:07 AM   #50
obs20
Wizard
obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 600, Nook ST, Toshiba Excite 10.1 AT 300
I understand the need to protect intellectual property. What bothers me about this topic is that regional restrictions impose sanctions on the free exchange of ideas.
obs20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert