Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-20-2012, 01:30 PM   #1
enn
enn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Voyage
Should I replace my lost K3 with the same thing, or something else?

Hello,

In 2010 I bought a Kindle 3/Kindle Keyboard with 3G. It was at the time the latest model, and I absolutely loved it. Last week, I set it down while scanning my groceries and forgot to pick it back up.

So now I'm cursing my absentmindedness and trying to decide what to get to replace it. The Kindle Keyboard is still the same price, $190 without the ads (I don't want any of the ad-subsidized models). I have no interest in LCD screens and I prefer buttons to touch screens, so I'm trying to choose between the Kindle Keyboard and the considerably-cheaper Kindle Basic.

My questions are:

- The physical design of the Kindle Basic looks more plasticy and generic in online pictures (I haven't seen one in person). Does it also feel more cheaply made? I loved the design of the K3, and especially the rubberized grippy back. What is the texture of the Kindle Basic like?

- My K3 was jailbroken and I had SSH installed, so I could copy files onto it over wifi without having to plug it in. Is it possible to replicate this functionality with the Kindle Basic? (Is it possible to replicate it with a new K3, or have they closed the loopholes that the jailbreaks used since 2010?)

- If I get the older K3, am I getting an inferior e-ink display compared to the Kindle Basic?

I appreciate any and all comments.
enn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:13 PM   #2
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by enn View Post
My questions are:

- The physical design...
- My K3 was jailbroken and I had SSH installed, ...
- If I get the older K3, am I getting an inferior e-ink display...
Design: I prefer the K3, though I've only held the newer models in the store.

SSH: I can't help there

Display: No, the new models do not have any display improvements; they use the same display as the K3.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2012, 08:21 PM   #3
Martyd
Zealot
Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard,nexus 7,Kindle Voyage
In my opinion my K3 has a better screen than my new Kindle NT.
Martyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:14 PM   #4
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyd View Post
In my opinion my K3 has a better screen than my new Kindle NT.
The screens of my KT, K3 and DXG are identical in quality/sharpness/contrast.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:32 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Don't forget that the basic has half the storage space of the K3. For usable space the K3 wins by an even larger margin, the E-book Reader Matrix says 1.25GB vs 3.3GB. This only matters if you have more than about a thousand ebooks.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2012, 11:22 PM   #6
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
I have both a K3KB (actually the original K3), and a K4 Basic (K4NT).

Some points to consider...

(I'd not settle for a K3 Touch or Kindle Fire, since neither of them can be organised into collections using Calibre and the Calibre Kindle Collections Add-on.)

The K4NT does have a rubberised back, but to me, the K3KB back 'seems' to be more rubbery. It just feels better. A subjective judgment, I know, but that's how it feels to me.

The K4NT edges seem angular, almost sharp; the K3KB edges are rounded.

I like the extra grab space provided by the K3KB's keyboard.

I cannot detect a difference in the screens.

The K3KB has much greater capacity than the K4NT, but you can work around that using Calibre to administer your library, loading just a subset onto your Kindle.

I have never JB'd my Kindles, so I cannot advise, although a search of the forums here will likely provide advice on the subject.

If you use your keyboard much, the physical keyboard of the K3KB is considerably better than the software version of the K4NT.

On balance, if I had to make the choice, I'd be buying a K3KB. I suspect Amazon are just running out old stock, and when they are gone there will be no more.
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:38 PM   #7
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
The kindle basic has no sound capability. No text to speech or mp3. I don't know if you care or not.

The back of the basic feels more slippery. The k3 is bigger and heavier, but thinner, more tapered at the edge.

From my own experience, the basic and k3 screen look the same. The touch has a darker background, quite noticeably to me. Ymmv.

For me, the basic is a downgrade. But it is quite a bit cheaper. The touch is also a downgrade because of the darker screen, but most people will dispute that.

I really hope I don't break my k3

Last edited by Barty; 05-21-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:24 AM   #8
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
The K4NT also has limited memory, it will not hold as many books at the K3 or KT.

Personally, I am holding out on upgrading until my K3 dies or they come out with a KT that has buttons.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:41 PM   #9
zooyuka
zooyuka began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1 & Kindle 4
I've had 2 K3s break on my so I would recommend purchasing a newer model. The K3s are highly faulty.
zooyuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:48 PM   #10
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
How did the K3's break? I have three different Kindles and none have broken. This includes my K3 which has travelled by airplane, train, and car around the US. Heck, my K1 went to Australia and New Zealand with no problem and is still alive and kicking.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:58 PM   #11
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
If you're wanting to stick with Amazon's devices, I'd probably just try to get another K3. But, that's just me. I love having the keyboard and (to a lesser extent) the MP3 capabilities.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:44 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The K3 may never have KF8/AZW3 support. So that could be a factor in your decision.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:21 AM   #13
Casey57
Connoisseur
Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3/Kindle Fire/Kindle Touch/iPhone/iPod/iPad
The K3 is a great device and I love mine as well. I use it every day. Personally, I would opt for another one in a heartbeat. We currently have five Kindles which also include a Fire, another K3 and two Kindle Touches. Some members of my family much prefer the touch technology. The screen is the same; no difference there. But my advice is to stick with what you love.....I don't think you'd have any regrets about that.
Casey57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:42 PM   #14
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I love the K4. Cheap ($79 with ads), and easy to hold. Took some getting used to, because I came from a K3, but now I wouldn't go back. Can't wait for the lighted kindle, though.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:44 PM   #15
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I am going to disagree with everyone here. The first thing I would recommend that you do is to look at how you carry your chosen ereader around with you and where you set it down. No reader is going to satisfy you if you are loosing it every other week, not to mention costing you an arm and a leg. A pal of mine has a pocket specially made for his kind put in his main jacket that holds just the kindle and nothing else. He did that because he has lost several kindles. Another pal of mine puts hers in a particularly well padded case and puts it in her purse. Get in the habit of checking on the kindle each any every time you leave a room and/or store so that you don't lose it once again.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote