Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-12-2009, 03:48 PM   #1
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Kindle Geographic Restrictions On US Website - Against US Buyers

In a move sure to confuse/anger US Kindle book buyers, the US Amazon website now has listings for Kindle versions of books (so far I've seen Penguin and Faber & Faber) that are not available for purchase by US residents.

http://www.amazon.com/Remains-Day-eb...5375972&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Live-Bait/dp/B...5375899&sr=1-1

If you play with the "change region" option, they appear to be available in the UK, Europe, and the Middle East.

To further confuse customers, the last book in the Monkeewrench series IS available in the US, but not the previous ones. And, the more recent Ishiguro novels are in US Kindle editions, but not his earlier stuff.

One wonders what Amazon's rationale for this is? Anger customers enough to demand their availability in the US? Combine all Kindle listings in one global database that is visible on all Amazon sites - where buyers will have to sift through the "change region" option to find out if they can buy the book?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:09 PM   #2
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
More likely they have just forgotten to implement a filter on the U.S. store. Prior to this, any book for the Kindle was sellable in the U.S. So there was no need for a geographic filter.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:32 PM   #3
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I'm glad, actually. Maybe now Americans will get angry and help the rest of us, who have long been struggling with this, pressure the publishers to change their ways.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:34 PM   #4
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I've found books available AT NO COUNTRY! I think they've got some problems with their filters.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:38 PM   #5
leandroide
Zealot
leandroide has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Papyre 6.1 (Hanlin V3)
What do you mean?

That certain books that were avalaible from the US are no longer? Or that some books have appeared that are not avaliable from the US but they are from other coutries?

The first one would be clearly a technical problem. The second... is exactly the same discrimination based on publishing rights that us Europeans have suffered for years.

This is a big nosense... people only want to spend their money on e-books!!

L.
leandroide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:40 PM   #6
lisreed
Addict
lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook GlowLight 3
Live Bait not being available makes no sense. It's an American published novel. The paperback is available as its a US paperback!
lisreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:55 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisreed View Post
Live Bait not being available makes no sense. It's an American published novel. The paperback is available as its a US paperback!
Live Bait is published in the US by Signet (a Penguin US label) they DO NOT offer it as an ebook.

Live Bait is published in the UK by Penguin UK they DO offer it as an ebook.

There are geo restrictions for US customers on other sites selling books from UK publishers too.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:21 PM   #8
Olympus
Connoisseur
Olympus will become famous soon enoughOlympus will become famous soon enoughOlympus will become famous soon enoughOlympus will become famous soon enoughOlympus will become famous soon enoughOlympus will become famous soon enough

Device: Rocket & Bookeen CyGen 3
totally confused

Can anybody explain to me how an author / copyright holder can agree in this totally connected world such a totally confusing situation.

Readers/buyers are allowed to buy a paperback copy and have it physically shipped from the US to Europe (or vice versa) and yet somehow an idiot creates restrictions on regions where e-book versions can be sold even though the e-books don't even compete as some publishers offer the ebook version in a specific region? As if we (their customers) are too stupid to find out should an e-book version exists somewhere else on this globe??

PUBLISHERS !!!! HELLO!!!
THIS IS 21st CENTURY, CRAWL FROM YOUR CAVE/ROCK AND EMBRACE THE OPPORTUNITIES DO NOT FIGHT US AND TREAT US AS MOORONS WHO WILL ACCEPT YOUR UNNECESSARY REGIONAL RESTRICTIONS AND PRICING SCHEME'S;
YOU HAVE TO REALISE/LEARN THAT YOUR REGIONS DO NOT EXIST ON THE INTERNET.
YOU HAVE TO COMPLY TO MY WISHES (AS YOUR CUSTOMER) OTHERWISE I'LL USE "OTHER MEANS" TO GET THE PRODUCT THAT I WANT AND YOU'LL GET NOTHING IN RETURN

pfew hopefully this will wake up the sales-department

Last edited by Olympus; 10-12-2009 at 05:27 PM.
Olympus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:29 PM   #9
llreader
Mesmerist
llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 Silver. Much nicer than I expected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I've found books available AT NO COUNTRY! I think they've got some problems with their filters.
Clearly, No Country for E-Books.
llreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:41 PM   #10
Randall679
Melbourne, AUSTRALIA
Randall679 began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook, Softbook 250e
Kindle will make or break in Australia

They will be charging us more for the Kindle. They will be charging international roaming rates from AT&T to download books. They will try and limit what ebooks can be sent to Australia, a la iTunes, and you will be restricted to using their books on their reader ... so what belongs to you?

The battery life also sucks ... 7000 page turns on a simple eInk reader makes much more sense.

Open format readers like the BeBook/Hanlin/Ecoreader give you the freedom of reading ebooks or documents in any format ... or formatting them yourselves on your own computer.

I'm all for "eBooks not TreeBooks," but I want the flexibility to make my own decisions at a reasonable price.

We can get open format readers in Australia now ... www.ecoreader.com.au. When Australians turn their noses up at certain kinds of technology, it dies. Mini-disc, mini-HD, LaserDisc, betamax, CDi, etc.

And don't forget the case a few months ago when Amazon went into all the Kindles and removed "1984" wirelessly without telling anyone! BIG BROTHER is watching!
Randall679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:14 PM   #11
lisreed
Addict
lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook GlowLight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Live Bait is published in the US by Signet (a Penguin US label) they DO NOT offer it as an ebook.

Live Bait is published in the UK by Penguin UK they DO offer it as an ebook.

There are geo restrictions for US customers on other sites selling books from UK publishers too.
Well one of the big reasons I was interested in the concept of ebooks is because I could get British titles not available in U.S. bookstores and save the shipping costs of getting them from amazon.uk. If that won't be the case and I can but the books in paperback but not get them electronically I will see less point of using the kindle.
lisreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:39 PM   #12
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
Can anybody explain to me how an author / copyright holder can agree in this totally connected world such a totally confusing situation.

Readers/buyers are allowed to buy a paperback copy and have it physically shipped from the US to Europe (or vice versa) and yet somehow an idiot creates restrictions on regions where e-book versions can be sold even though the e-books don't even compete as some publishers offer the ebook version in a specific region? As if we (their customers) are too stupid to find out should an e-book version exists somewhere else on this globe??

PUBLISHERS !!!! HELLO!!!
THIS IS 21st CENTURY, CRAWL FROM YOUR CAVE/ROCK AND EMBRACE THE OPPORTUNITIES DO NOT FIGHT US AND TREAT US AS MOORONS WHO WILL ACCEPT YOUR UNNECESSARY REGIONAL RESTRICTIONS AND PRICING SCHEME'S;
YOU HAVE TO REALISE/LEARN THAT YOUR REGIONS DO NOT EXIST ON THE INTERNET.
YOU HAVE TO COMPLY TO MY WISHES (AS YOUR CUSTOMER) OTHERWISE I'LL USE "OTHER MEANS" TO GET THE PRODUCT THAT I WANT AND YOU'LL GET NOTHING IN RETURN

pfew hopefully this will wake up the sales-department

It's totally perverse - as if (in the midst of an economic downturn/crisis/what have you) - publishers don't want our money - or are trying to make it as hard as possible to buy their product!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:07 PM   #13
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
I haven't had this good of a laugh since I looked in a mirror....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:25 PM   #14
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
It's totally perverse - as if (in the midst of an economic downturn/crisis/what have you) - publishers don't want our money - or are trying to make it as hard as possible to buy their product!
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:54 PM   #15
orion2001
Groupie
orion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505
Clearly Amazon will not rest till they have their customers own one Kindle for every country out there so they can have access to all global ebook releases
orion2001 is offline   Reply With Quote