Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old Yesterday, 09:40 AM   #24556
covingtoncat73
Guru
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo WiFi, Samsung Galaxy SIII, Acer 10'' Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Yeah... That does happen. We are still under Martial Law here.

When we left Thailand to move back to Japan, my wife went to set up the house and I had to stay another 6 months for Felicity to comply with Japanese Quarantine regulations (shots, blood tests, microchip,etc.) and 6 month quarantine. Fortunately, it could be an 'at home' quarantine, rather than at some veterinary impound in a cage. I was able to carry her into the airplane cabin, and the flight attendants changed my seat and seated us side by side. I had the vet at the airport giving her the final clearance give her a tranquilizer, and she either slept or helped me read my book all the way back to Japan.

Stitchawl
I kind of regret that I didn't take the job I could have gotten at a community college in Palau but I am not so young and not adventurous and I was worried about bringing Cinder-kitty. Plus, it didn't pay very well and no one would be able to visit me due to the incredible airfare and, with the low pay, I wouldn't really be able to do visits home (they would only fly me at their expense at the beginning of my job there and at its end). Still, if I had figured the quarantine thing out with Cinder, it might have been fun. My mom, a good friend, and one cousin thought it was a horrible idea. My brother thought I should've done it.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:29 AM   #24557
CRussel
Wizard
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Fire HDX 8.9, Fire HD8.9, Fire 7HD, Surface 2
Well, pooh, I can honestly say I haven't regretted moving to British Columbia for a single moment. I made the decision 11 years ago, and was moved within 7 months from the time we first heard about the Sunshine Coast. A complete and total change, and one that has had more than it's share of surprises. But mostly good ones, and I'm a much happier and healthier person.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:33 PM   #24558
WT Sharpe
Grand Muckity-Muck
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Air, iPod Nano. Other devices gathering dust.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Well, pooh, I can honestly say I haven't regretted moving to British Columbia for a single moment. I made the decision 11 years ago, and was moved within 7 months from the time we first heard about the Sunshine Coast. A complete and total change, and one that has had more than it's share of surprises. But mostly good ones, and I'm a much happier and healthier person.
There's sunshine that close to Washington?

Well, maybe. Victoria is the one place in Canada I've visited, and the sun was shining the day I went at least. Took a ferry from Seattle and made a side trip to take in Butchart Gardens while I was there. Very beautiful place.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:03 PM   #24559
covingtoncat73
Guru
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo WiFi, Samsung Galaxy SIII, Acer 10'' Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post

Well, maybe. Victoria is the one place in Canada I've visited, and the sun was shining the day I went at least. Took a ferry from Seattle and made a side trip to take in Butchart Gardens while I was there. Very beautiful place.
I would live in Victoria in a heartbeat!
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:04 PM   #24560
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
We get a hell of a lot more sunshine than people realize, but shhhh! It's a secret!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:10 PM   #24561
CRussel
Wizard
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Fire HDX 8.9, Fire HD8.9, Fire 7HD, Surface 2
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
I would live in Victoria in a heartbeat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
We get a hell of a lot more sunshine than people realize, but shhhh! It's a secret!
Yes, there's a reason we're called the Sunshine Coast. In the summer. In the winter, it's more the Wet Coast. But while Victoria is beautiful, it's not a small town, or rather it is, but not in the same way as the Coast. Victoria is on Vancouver Island, which is large enough that you really don't ever have to leave it. The Sunshine Coast is on the mainland, but you still need a ferry (or float plane) to get here. And you will have to leave for some things. We aren't big enough to support the same level of infrastructure as the Island.

KK is, of course, a bit further south and still in the US. But very similar weather in many ways.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:06 PM   #24562
poohbear_nc
Non-Edible Chicken
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made + Kobo Aura + Nexus7.2!
Quote:
Years ago (after the aborted job offer from Granada) I interviewed for a job on Prince Edward Island - I flew there in December - through a blizzard that had grounded all US air traffic, but the Canadian air lines didn't seem to notice - or care - we had a perfect landing on the island. I loved the island (despite the dire warnings of 'cabin fever' from being 'trapped' on an island) - but unfortunately clashed badly with the interview team - who made it clear I wouldn't fit in to their team. Go figure ...

[I can still remember having to walk to the interview through waist high snow drifts.]
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:23 PM   #24563
WT Sharpe
Grand Muckity-Muck
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Air, iPod Nano. Other devices gathering dust.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
Not in the month or so I was there, although there was a minor earthquake to keep things from getting dull.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:17 PM   #24564
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
I kind of regret that I didn't take the job I could have gotten at a community college in Palau but I am not so young and not adventurous and I was worried about bringing Cinder-kitty.
Palau is tied for the No.1 spot as 'The World's Best Dive Location.' We've spent a LOT of time underwater there, and don't doubt that title for a moment. It is SPECTACULAR! But as much as I love the underwater excitement, the above ground quietude would do me in after a month. Its islands are beautiful, and for a few weeks lying on the beach, lying on the beach would be nice. But the only way to get to something larger is to fly to Guam... which you can drive completely around in an hour, but does have a shopping mall...

Quote:
It's that 'complete and total change' that makes an international move so invigorating. When I was offered a contract to teach at university in Japan, I only waited long enough to have a big moving sale, spend one more weekend with family, and I was on the plane with a one-way ticket! I've never regretted the move once!

Quote:
Yes, there's a reason we're called the Sunshine Coast. In the summer. In the winter, it's more the Wet Coast. But while Victoria is beautiful, it's not a small town, or rather it is, but not in the same way as the Coast. Victoria is on Vancouver Island, which is large enough that you really don't ever have to leave it.
Vancouver Island would be a wonderful place to live if someone were looking for a change that wasn't too far removed from the East Coast. 3-4 hours by plane? By today's travel standards, that's just a short hop! Depending upon the routing, it takes me up to 29 hours to get back to Vermont.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:42 PM   #24565
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Not in the month or so I was there, although there was a minor earthquake to keep things from getting dull.
Oh don't get me wrong! There are a few months that make you consider snorkel gear! The rest of the time makes up for it. I just wish we had more snow *pout*
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness