Notices

Old 09-27-2013, 05:20 AM   #31
ryanuk
ryanuk began at the beginning.

Device: GPB
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebell View Post
I tested from the latest source and it works perfectly. EPUBs can now be uploaded directly to GPB and font resizing works. Thank you!
Checked in version 1.5 (Conversion: Handle the style attribute on the <html> tag) now works perfectly

guys, and thanks Kovid! humble donation to the cause will be made!
ryanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:53 PM   #32
ittiandro
Connoisseur
ittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notes

Device: JuliusvonJD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186697

Most likely the book in question has scanned page images not actual text, but it's impossible to say more without access to the book.
I think this is the problem with me, too: I have converted a book to EPUB from PDF with AVS converter, but the font of the converted book is too small for comfort and cannot be increased through the settings of the reader. None of them allows it and I have tried several.

Do you know of any converter which has the capability of choosing the output font before the conversion? ? Or, at the other end, is there any software which allows to edit the EPUB text in order to increase the font?

Thanks

Ittiandro
ittiandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2013, 03:26 PM   #33
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ittiandro View Post
I think this is the problem with me, too: I have converted a book to EPUB from PDF with AVS converter, but the font of the converted book is too small for comfort and cannot be increased through the settings of the reader. None of them allows it and I have tried several.

Do you know of any converter which has the capability of choosing the output font before the conversion? ? Or, at the other end, is there any software which allows to edit the EPUB text in order to increase the font?

Thanks

Ittiandro
You must OCR the text in the IMAGES.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:06 PM   #34
ittiandro
Connoisseur
ittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notes

Using OCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You must OCR the text in the IMAGES.
Do I understand correctly that to solve my problem ( controlling the fonts of the EPUB converted books) I need:

1. To use an OCR software to convert the PDF book into HTML foirmat.
2. Once this is done, I'll be able to edit the HTML text by changing the font and other desired parameters to be incorporated in the final EPUB conversion.

3. Reconverting the edited HTML text to its final EPUB format, which will hopefully reflect the editing done at the OCR stage.

It sounds very laborious, also considering that I have quite a few books, but I'll give it a try as soon I am sure I am going in the right direction, because I am totally new to all these OCR niceties. Do you suggest a particular OCR software?

Thank you for your help and comments

Ittiandro
Old 12-10-2013, 06:33 PM   #35
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Do I understand correctly that to solve my problem ( controlling the fonts of the EPUB converted books) I need:

1. To use an OCR software to convert the PDF book into HTML foirmat.
2. Once this is done, I'll be able to edit the HTML text by changing the font and other desired parameters to be incorporated in the final EPUB conversion.

3. Reconverting the edited HTML text to its final EPUB format, which will hopefully reflect the editing done at the OCR stage.

It sounds very laborious, also considering that I have quite a few books, but I'll give it a try as soon I am sure I am going in the right direction, because I am totally new to all these OCR niceties. Do you suggest a particular OCR software?

Thank you for your help and comments

Ittiandro
If you had not guessed, PDF (anyway) is a pain.

Not all PDF is images. Open the Pdf normally. Select some text. Click Copy.
(paste it into a New Notepad file as a final test.

Success! You have a convertible document (without OCR) candidate.

No, you have an image that will need to be OCR'd
OR
consider getting a large format tablet that will show PDF to avoid the pain for those documents.
Advert
Old 12-10-2013, 11:55 PM   #36
ittiandro
Connoisseur

Epub Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
If you had not guessed, PDF (anyway) is a pain.

Not all PDF is images. Open the Pdf normally. Select some text. Click Copy.
(paste it into a New Notepad file as a final test.

Success! You have a convertible document (without OCR) candidate.

No, you have an image that will need to be OCR'd
OR
consider getting a large format tablet that will show PDF to avoid the pain for those documents.
The books I am trying to convert to EPUB are ancient Greek texts in Greek characters, with an English translation on the side. The Notepad copy/paste operation with the PDF text does return the roman character of the English text , more or less the same as the original PDF but the Greek characters are not rendered at all, just a maze of illegible characters. I suppose then that the original PDF was not in image, because if it were it would show the Greek characters, like the image from a photo would do.
If my interptretation is right, then I don't need any OCR stuff, but only a good Epub converter.
AS a matter of fact, I tried the free Trial Vibosoft E-pub converter. The fonts after the Epub conversion with this software are a lot better than those of the the previous converter ( AVS) and I would stick with it, if I didn't have to buy it, after a few conversions. I was wondering if there is an equivalent free software. I am researching the Internet, but if you have any suggestions, I'd appreciate.

Thank you

Ittiandro
Old 12-11-2013, 10:07 AM   #37
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
The books I am trying to convert to EPUB are ancient Greek texts in Greek characters, with an English translation on the side. The Notepad copy/paste operation with the PDF text does return the roman character of the English text , more or less the same as the original PDF but the Greek characters are not rendered at all, just a maze of illegible characters. I suppose then that the original PDF was not in image, because if it were it would show the Greek characters, like the image from a photo would do.
If my interptretation is right, then I don't need any OCR stuff, but only a good Epub converter.
AS a matter of fact, I tried the free Trial Vibosoft E-pub converter. The fonts after the Epub conversion with this software are a lot better than those of the the previous converter ( AVS) and I would stick with it, if I didn't have to buy it, after a few conversions. I was wondering if there is an equivalent free software. I am researching the Internet, but if you have any suggestions, I'd appreciate.

Thank you

Ittiandro
If you got something (1 for 1 chars) for the Greek, that is a Font (+encoding) issue that will not be simple to resolve

Tags
calibre conversion