Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 01-19-2011, 09:18 PM   #31
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Are you already on 1/14? If not, I believe the easiest way is to install the latest version of the firmware WillysJeepMan pointed to above instead of using the Pandigital updater. There is a version with market included.

If you are already on 1/14, I believe you can add market with some hacks. But you'll want to verify that over on Slatedroid or with someone more Android savy than me.

Edit: make sure you don't flash any full firmwares if you are already on the official 1/14 without reading up over on slatedroid. You can brick it if you get caught in a loop and reset at the wrong time
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:36 PM   #32
Eread Bill
Eread Bill began at the beginning.

Device: pandigital novel 7
Thanks. I'm not on 1-14.
Will read some more. Thanks.
Eread Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2011, 02:00 PM   #33
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Be careful about using the 2011 release(s) based OP custom firmwares as there have been problems(boot loops) and bricks/semi-bricks when trying to revert to stock or stock based custom firmwares from 2010. Apparently the easiest out is to revert to another OP release then presumably reverting to stock(check the slatedroid forums for advice) or possibly using kewguy's flashfix(still looking into what he did ATM as I've only seen a few posts about it to date)... You'll probably still need some sort of uSD card reader and have to re-partition/re-format the internal uSD to one FAT32 partition.

(New OP creates an ext partition using half of the internal uSD IIRC, while stock firmware just leaves it FAT32... i.e. it'd still work but you'd be losing access to half of it... or so I gather. Also bear in mind that these aren't official releases at all and that they've just been grabbing them off of Pandigital servers directly...)

If you're at all unsure I'd recommend using one of the stock based firmwares like nchtrman's or mac's modified alternate fw w/market v5.02b or maybe v1.02b IF you have a v1 WPDN and care about video stuttering every 5s which happens with v1 WPDN hw and stock or custom stock based firmware based on firmwares beyond 07/24...
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:32 PM   #34
bookratt
Wizard
bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS505 & PRS600, iPad, Pandigital Novel, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
I second Xanthe's recommendation of nch's firmware. I believe he recommends the one based off the 9/23 pandigital firmware for people who are not computer savy.

One app you won't be able to run, but might want to is Adobe Reader X (his build comes with Adobe 9). He has another thread with patches. There is one in there that will change your SDK to 8 so that that app will work.

There is a lot going on over at Slatedroid now as they work with the new open platform Android firmwares that pandigital has been posting unofficially, so look for good stuff in the next month or so as these new firmwares get refined by the hackers over there.

But I'd stay away from them for now. Nch's all in one should set you up nicely.

You got a nice bargain at 40 dollars. I think they raised the price back up to 170 to prevent people from doing what I did: take back the machine they bought for 100 dollars or so and return it, and then buy it right back for 60.

Have fun with it. It isn't an iPad, but it's one heck of a bargain. I started off using mine as a PDF reader, but do most of my ePubs on it too now. I like the included reader in night mode.

I am in agreement with Xanthe's and soondai's recommendation of the 9/23 version by Nchntrman.

Things on my PDN are working well. I did put an apk that jacked up my reader, so I backed up all my things, reformated the external SD card and reinstalled the 9/23 PDN OEM and then the 9/23 Nchntrman program. I then copied all my kindle, barnes & noble & kobo ebooks, proven apks, photos, and etc back onto the external SD card. Things are running fine now
bookratt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, pandigital, rooting