Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-03-2010, 09:46 PM   #1
DanT
Connoisseur
DanT will become famous soon enoughDanT will become famous soon enoughDanT will become famous soon enoughDanT will become famous soon enoughDanT will become famous soon enoughDanT will become famous soon enoughDanT will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo
What the Heck is C-Paper or Cheap Backlid Color 7" Ereader(59Euro)

Well I was browsing around and came up on this JWD PMP-7100
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyLNy_kHIzU

In French but with English subtitle.

Also (Article in French only)
http://www.blogeee.net/2010/09/jwd-p...er/#more-14587
He bought it here http://www.efox-shop.com/tablet-pc-n...-laptop-p-3469

It's backlid.

Most of the review he comment how everything is average to sub-par
The only thing he like is the excellent readability at low brightness setting and the price. At highest brightness you start to get eyestrain but he state that it's a type of eyestrain completely different from an LCD ???

From the video I guess you'll have to use it mostly indoor since you see glare from the light when he till the device.

He bought it for 49 Euro a couple week ago and the seller just decided to jack up the price to 59 Euro.
DanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:11 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
never heard of em
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2010, 12:46 AM   #3
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
.... and it's a colour screen.. you can see photos and movies in real colours... Just what everyone has been looking for...

Interesting...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:48 AM   #4
jee
Enthusiast
jee began at the beginning.

Device: enTourage eDGe
I think there are several clones, one of them is called Teclast k8. There is also a 5" reader available. I am not sure what this c-paper actually is, but according to alibaba.com, it causes less eyestrain.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/32..._5_7_inch.html
jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:49 AM   #5
Richey79
mrkrgnao
Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650, K3 Wireless, Galaxy S3, iPad 3.
Interesting - at that price.

Probably the key quote for me was 'It has a matte screen - this makes it like viewing on a GameBoy'.

To be honest, it looks like a better movie player than it does an ereader; but you've still got that functionality if you just want to carry one device.
Richey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2010, 05:07 AM   #6
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by jee View Post
I think there are several clones, one of them is called Teclast k8. There is also a 5" reader available. I am not sure what this c-paper actually is, but according to alibaba.com, it causes less eyestrain.
'You know that thing that no-one can quantify? We have less of it!'
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:57 AM   #7
dapriuk
Enthusiast
dapriuk doesn't litterdapriuk doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Lenovo X61 tablet PC, Advent Vega Android tablet
Quote:
I am not sure what this c-paper actually is, but according to alibaba.com, it causes less eyestrain.
Don't worry, it is a colour display and someone is bound to put bright red next to blue - et voila, dizziness and eye strain are back again.
dapriuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:54 PM   #8
thawkth
thawkth began at the beginning.

Device: iPad? Sony? Kindle 3?
Hmmm

http://www.myvido1.com/gVYBnSTdEdmVW...-paper-lowcost

I don't speak french but I guess this is an early indicator on convergence between ereaders/tablets/pmps

Very, very cool. I'm sure its a cheap device with lots of drawbacks but if I could pick this up for $50 or less it would be awesome to play with (alibaba lists that as the price for large orders)

I would love to try it out and see what its like to read on etc.

That said I'm saving for a Prs-650/Nook2/Kindle3 or something of the sort!
thawkth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:56 PM   #9
hernep
Enthusiast
hernep began at the beginning.

Device: iRiver Story, iPad 2
+ For the price I'd say wow! It's like iPad Lite Lite with fraction of cost.
- But then, will these chinese pieces have support for Adobe DRM or ePub DRM, is yet to see.
Thank you DanT, for sharing this information. And yes, it's nice to be member of this forum
hernep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:30 PM   #10
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Here is the WordMonkey translation of the web site:

Quote:
It's been a while since I bore everyone with that gear as Twitter and it's time you show it, my small reading lamp Made In China has nothing to do on Blogeee a priori. Without real operating system without a keyboard or touch screen without WiFi or network, this floor lamp has nothing for her ...

Why I am talking about? For 3 reasons. First, because I bought and brought from China and it seems to me that talking is a good return on investment. The other reason is price since I bought € 49 plus shipping. It's little and even if it is going to increase to 59 € a few days ago it remains affordable for a reading lamp 7 ". Third reason, embedded technology in this machine and it is making abilities are quite amazing. Consider all this in detail.

To start we have a fairly simple device, white plastic hard enough, boundary breaking: This does not inspire that good but the tablet is apparently solid, the screen is nested in the carcass and the finish is correct. No touch screen, just a few buttons to manipulate the machine blows loudly audible clicks.

The connections is equally minimalist: A USB port, a jack 3.5 "stereo, MicroSD card reader, microphone and a switch to inhibit the buttons on the front. That's it.

At the back we find the signature of the manufacturer, JWD and model of the machine the PMP-7100. At the top a thin suggesting a mono speaker quite noisy and not very accurate ...

The buttons are fairly numerous, but many are redundant in their use: There are numbers 0 to 9 which will be used to manipulate digital books. Arrows up, down, right and left again around the select button and menu at the center. A magnifying glass button, a back button, a play / pause button and finally a button to start the machine. That bit is poor and so he is more limited in terms of button.

For now this small reading light has not much to it, and actually I'm not necessarily encouraging you to buy it without second thought. The whole point of this gear comes from the screen used by the manufacturer: It takes an old technology introduced at the first Game Boy and delivered to the taste of the day: c-paper screen.

Attention, it is not digital ink screen or even type of process or Mirasol Pixel Qi, C-paper is just a method of LED backlighting alternative that combines high intensity light treatment with a matte, at minimum light and medium friendly to eyes and can read a long time without fatigue. The advantage is that by pushing the brightness found an LCD screen and more standard images or videos colorful and enjoyable to watch.

Reading lamp mode, the machine is quite efficient: Huge variety of books in digital format are displayed instantly. RSC file types, FB2, TXT, HTML or EPUB take care without any problem. They can zoom in and out easily and are very readable screen. EPub file dozens of pages can be swallowed without even realizing it with a lot of comfort.

The advantage is that after 10 hours of firing the machine did not flinch, the battery had just lost control on a bar 4 before I decided to turn it off. Battery 1000 mAh Li-Polymer promised 8000 pages of reading. I have not checked but I think we can play more than 10 hours without recharging.

The loading is also problematic since I have not managed to load it other than plugging the supplied USB charger. My PC's USB ports did not seem sufficiently powered for that gear. Another detail, more interesting, connecting via USB on a computer opens two separate cases: The onboard memory on one side and the possible MicroSD card on the other. The two are clearly identified and separated. So a reading light ultra cheap, full of defects but also quality that can be bought for fifty euros. The 4 GB onboard, expandable with Micro SD 16GB, enough to carry around a nice library.

The machine can also read PDF and this without too much trouble as long as they remain rather mild. I have not encountered any files that the machine could not read but some large PDF (80Mb took more than 5 minutes to open). As long as you stay within reasonable limits for a vehicle of this type, this poses no problem. as a PDF 15MB Make: Magazine in the video is slow but usable. The ideal is to open a slight technical documentation or help pages as it proliferates on the web: keyboard shortcuts, etc. aide memoire.

The machine also loads some other features like FM radio or a way "game".This is a joke, the FM radio is muted and will not pick up nothing but incessant spitting. Mode "game" is there to add more capacity to the gear on the technical details since it is a Tetris unplayable. The MP3 player, very sober, is more interesting: It will display an image of the album cover listening, the lyrics in karaoke mode if they are added to the roster issue and especially good sound condition has to go through the headset. Mp3 playback continues for more than 10 hours together reading the book (the 2 are possible simultaneously) did not attack the battery gauge ... For this purpose there, the machine also seems appropriate. The JWD supports multiple formats (I have only tested MP3, WMA, OGG, FLAC and DTS).

A recording function allows you to use the voice memo as JWD but again it must be motivated to use it: the mic is really bad and the sound is often inaudible.

But it was in video mode that the machine is the most surprising Mixer capacity of c-based paper with those of a video jukebox make this nice shelf gear amazing. 5:40 a row, the machine was run in a loop Xvid without needing to recharge: indefatigable despite weighing only 170 grams, the reading light can overcome many file formats without any worries: H.264 is fully decoded, MPEG4 and Divx Xvid or other well and the RMVB and FLV. 720P H.264 files are read but they are displayed on a screen 800 x 600 obviously raises a problem.

With 13 mm thick, 19.4 cm wide and 13.2 cm in depth reading lamp is very handy. She can slip around and even get stuck where you least expect it. Its lightweight and its size can fix it with 2 simple elastic headrest of a car for a rear passenger can watch a movie. It can also be easily trapped in a freezer bag with zip for drag around in the messy world: Hatched a car with a technical magazine in PDF format, or in the kitchen following a recipe downloaded.

I just wonder why manufacturers have not thought of earlier: While the c-paper screen is not exceptional. They are from the capabilities of digital inks but they are inexpensive to produce, they consume very little energy and can display interesting. A sort of winning combination of reading books with a very soft mode in low light and a proper display for the video pushing it a bit.

Imagining a capacitive touch pad on a vehicle of this type, WiFi, and a battery equivalent processor capable of running Android, there would be an amazing performance machine. But just imagine such a screen on a netbook might also discover new uses and a range tenfold to this type of machine.

New c-paper tablets seem to emerge from across the Asian market, with more or less happily gear seem ready to conquer all at prices lower frankly. You will find this model in EFOX-Shop.com (received in 10 days) for 59 € today, think twice before cracking, it is a reading lamp, she does not surf or read emails. But if you want a cheap device to read on the subway or watching videos, it may interest you.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:07 PM   #11
meem
A Reader who can think..!
meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi - Kindle DX (B004)
It's a chinese fake term, I't's just a Specsmanship.
There is no tech called C Paper, it's just a normal TFT LCD, I have one.
They are trying to imitate "E-Paper" term !
meem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:25 AM   #12
Fastolfe
Bookworm
Fastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Sony PRS-650
I bought books that were more expensive than this thing.

If they removed the useless FM radio, audio port and mike, replaced the color LCD with a B/W one (cheaper and possibly better res), used a cheaper processor (I'm sure less than 500 MHz would still be plenty fast), less memory, and less buttons, I bet they could make a reader that's almost as cheap as a hardcover.

More crap in the landfill at the end of the day I guess...
Fastolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:50 PM   #13
DeadMan
Enthusiast
DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I have the Nextbook1 (a similar model), and enjoy it very much. The Nextbook1 does not have the video player functions, FM Radio, and some other things enabled, but reading on it is what I bought it for.

See the thread for our look into it and others like it.

Nextbook1 7"
DeadMan is offline   Reply With Quote