Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-18-2010, 01:30 AM   #1
RedRoverJ
Zealot
RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo
Kobo VP replies to issues...

Found this little article over at Teleread.com and it sounds very promising. Looks like a week of June 28th release for firmware update.

http://www.teleread.com/2010/06/17/k...ereads-joanna/

Last edited by RedRoverJ; 06-18-2010 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Replaced shortened URL with full URL
RedRoverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:44 AM   #2
artificial
Groupie
artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo eReader
Brilliant! Thanks for posting the link.

I think Michael does a good job of answering the most common complaints, and it's a relief to hear that these issues are being addressed.

I think that hiding the 100 pre-loaded books is an adeqate fix - actually it will suit me perfectly. I don't mind them being on my Kobo, I just don't want them cluttering up my library.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:21 AM   #3
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
That's awesome! So is the TeleRead thingie generally -- I'd not heard of it. But anyway, not a word, sniff, about PDF reflow. I'm very pleased about the battery life news, and the red/blue light will have interesting new behaviours!

Oh, and Joanna at TeleRead said it! The Kobo is "cute and adorable"!

Last edited by corona; 06-18-2010 at 02:31 AM.
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:53 AM   #4
Bismar
Connoisseur
Bismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo eReader
Hmm, this bit sounds slightly dodgy.
Quote:
The bug: in some situations, power consumption wasn’t tapering off as much as it should have when the device went into sleep mode.
I've had power failed when i've charged it up and read 1500 pages in one sitting. I've never turned it off to sleep.

Hope its just bad wording.
Bismar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:07 AM   #5
Turt99
Connoisseur
Turt99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Bismar, I think sleep mode is the status the Kobo goes into after nothing is pressed for 10 seconds. So if you take 30 seconds to read the text on the scree 20 seconds of that could be in "sleep mode".

Don't quote me on the time spans, it might be 10 min. I'm just pointing out the difference between sleep and off.

1500 pages in one sitting, must have been a good book, or books.
Turt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:10 AM   #6
Turt99
Connoisseur

It sounds like they have some nice plans for the Kobo. And it sounds like they have a fix for the font-sizing. Hopefully it works as well as described.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:13 AM   #7
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Ideally, you don't have to do anything to make it 'go into sleep mode' except take your finger off a button. Then it does what you commanded and goes to sleep right away, or after a few seconds, depending on the command. On some devices, a short press on the power button just locks all the other buttons out; ideal on the Kobo, where the big blue button is so easily pressed by a case... I almost never turn off my Hanlin devices, and still get three or more weeks between charges.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:19 AM   #8
Turt99
Connoisseur

pholy, yeah a lock mode would be great.
Currently I turn my Kobo off every time I stop reading since I don't want to find out that buttons got pressed while it was in my bag. But that might actually be using more power then its saving (off vs. sleep, offset by processing on startup)
Old 06-18-2010, 08:25 AM   #9
mTamblyn
mTamblyn is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo eReader, iPhone, iPad
Hi -- it's Michael Tamblyn from Kobo. To save people the link, here's the full text of my post on TeleRead. Thanks to all of the people on MobileRead who have been so supportive of us and each other through the first 45 days with the eReader. We'll keep pushing to make the eReader better. You keep pushing to make *us* better.
Here's the scoop on the Kobo firmware and Desktop Reader update:

1. Font scaling
Will be dealt with in a firmware upgrade the week of June 28th. Font scaling issues have been tricky -- they are most often caused by hardcoded absolute font sizes in the epub CSS. Doing wholesale overrides of publisher CSS can earn us bad karma with publishers. And while we can easily override some CSS elements (font face, for example, since we have a limited number of fonts on the eReader), the Adobe SDK prohibits override of absolute font sizes. (Grrr...) So we have had to do some crafty things behind the scenes to get around that limitation. We have tested the new release of firmware with every file that users have sent us with font resizing issues and it has worked in all cases we've tested so far.

2. Title Management
The biggest irritant we heard from lots of users was "I don't care about *&@^#$# Huckleberry Finn! Get that stuff out of my Library." Totally understandable: some people feel it clutters up the Library or makes it harder to find purchased books. (Others love having a reader that is full of books as soon as you plug it in. That's the way it goes...) There is a short-term fix in the new release while we work on a longer and more complicated one. In the short term, you'll be able to hide pre-loaded books on the device -- get them out of the way so you can look at the other books you've added. That definitely won't address all issues, but it will address the biggest pain point while we work on a wider range of library management features for a subsequent release.

3. Battery Life
This was a software problem rather than a hardware one. Even when the device is in sleep mode, there is a negligible amount of activity on the device. The bug: in some states, power consumption wasn't tapering off as much as it should have when the device went into sleep mode. We found the bug and fixed it, so people should be able to get the 8,000 page turns they were expecting.

4. Charging Light
Used to: show nothing until it was charged and then turn red when it was done. (Okayyyy.....)
New release: turns red when it's charging, turns blue when it's done. (Makes more sense.)

There are a bunch of other things rolled up in the update (universal mac builds for PPC+Intel, better indications when the device is off, etc.), but I wanted to flag those four since they've been a topic of some discussion here.

Why Has This Taken So Long?
Doing the first firmware upgrade on your first hardware device is not for the faint of heart. We've been trying to balance three things: how many fixes/improvements can we get into the release vs. not wanting people to wait too long vs. testing all of the wild and wonderful use cases that customers have given us via phone, email, this forum and others. This week we decided we were fixing enough issues to justify people spending time upgrading the device, especially since it's a bit of a tricky process, with a few multi-button presses and resets to get the new firmware in there.

Generally, we've learned a lot in the 45 days since the eReader released. We've learned that running an open platform is both great and daunting -- you never know what people are going to try to load onto the device and need to be ready for everything. We have learned that the user community is awesome. People have been great at helping each other overcome issues while this software/firmware update was coming together. Thanks especially to the Calibre folks for doing such a nice job on the Kobo eReader driver!

I'll have more detail on the release as we lock down the final build. In the meantime, thanks so much for your patience, your candor, well-intentioned beatings, and willingness to stick with us as we get through this latest round of growing pains.
Questions, feedback, whattheheckareyoutalkingabout comments? I'll keep an eye on this thread. Thanks!
mTamblyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:58 AM   #10
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mTamblyn View Post
Hi -- it's Michael Tamblyn from Kobo. To save people the link, here's the full text of my post on TeleRead. Thanks to all of the people on MobileRead who have been so supportive of us and each other through the first 45 days with the eReader. We'll keep pushing to make the eReader better. You keep pushing to make *us* better.
[INDENT]Here's the scoop on the Kobo firmware and Desktop Reader update:

2. Title Management
The biggest irritant we heard from lots of users was "I don't care about *&@^#$# Huckleberry Finn! Get that stuff out of my Library." Totally understandable: some people feel it clutters up the Library or makes it harder to find purchased books. (Others love having a reader that is full of books as soon as you plug it in. That's the way it goes...) There is a short-term fix in the new release while we work on a longer and more complicated one. In the short term, you'll be able to hide pre-loaded books on the device -- get them out of the way so you can look at the other books you've added. That definitely won't address all issues, but it will address the biggest pain point while we work on a wider range of library management features for a subsequent release.
I work on the Calibre driver. Would it be possible for some one to let me know the details of the database changes if any required for this? I would like to ensure that the driver is ready for the updated firmware as soon as possible after the release. I don't mind waiting to release code and I realize things may change...

Quote:
4. Charging Light
Used to: show nothing until it was charged and then turn red when it was done. (Okayyyy.....)
New release: turns red when it's charging, turns blue when it's done. (Makes more sense.)
Nice. Red always means bad to me so fully charged being blue is better.

Quote:
Why Has This Taken So Long?
Doing the first firmware upgrade on your first hardware device is not for the faint of heart. We've been trying to balance three things: how many
The device is great. I have been able to live with the few flaws and as my first eReader it has really got me back to reading again. Thank you for that. Those of us in IT fields realize the time it takes to get new releases out. It is not trivial with common programs and firmware updated are especially hairy.

Quote:

Questions, feedback, whattheheckareyoutalkingabout comments? I'll keep an eye on this thread. Thanks!
The thing I would really like is specification information on the bluetooth syncing. Since the device does not have wifi I would like to be able to setup my PC as a Bluetooth server and sync with it. I have the reader on my iPhone (and soon an IPad) and I would like to be able to stay in sync without plugging it into my computer.

All the best and good luck with the new release.

Tim
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:13 AM   #11
treetotree
Connoisseur
treetotree has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.treetotree has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.treetotree has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.treetotree has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook Lite, Kindle DXG,prs-350, wife k3
Michael, will the U.S. release come with the new firmware update?
treetotree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:59 AM   #12
mlstein
Enthusiast
mlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it is

Device: iPad (one)
Nope. I've got one--I'll try to report soon--and it's the same as you've got.
mlstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:45 AM   #13
thekidintheclock
thekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo
good letter michael - nice and detailed. you seem pretty chill. like "love u guys" and "we'll always be right here, watching u." makes me feel safe. bet we're gonna see alot of remorse today from the complainers (e.g. "there is a god", "god = tamblyn", etc. kind of posts.) anyways, much obliged.
thekidintheclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:46 AM   #14
Turt99
Connoisseur

thekidintheclock, I don't think we will see any remorse, not today at least. The letter does make things sound really good, but I'd hold my breath until we see the firmware and see how it really works.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:51 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Van we please have the full link? I do not click on link redirects as they could link to just about anywhere.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote