Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-28-2009, 10:02 PM   #1
Draccy
SciFi E-Book Fanatic
Draccy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle 2
Why does the device ask for time settings?

Hey all,

Been a long time since I've posted! I just picked up a PRS-300 today, to accept Sony's offer of an upgrade of my PRS-500. A little bummed about giving up the device I loved, but mostly happy with the new device.

I had hacked my previous Reader to add the time of the last button press to it. The new reader made me enter the date and time into it, and says that it syncs in the updates from the software. Why does it do this? I don't see the time anywhere in my device. Is there a way to add it?

thanks in advance for your help!

Keith
Draccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 03:47 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draccy View Post
The new reader made me enter the date and time into it, and says that it syncs in the updates from the software. Why does it do this?
Because of the time-based DRM mechanism used for ePub library books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:56 AM   #3
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
And also I imagine for synching with a computer -- such mechanisms usually use the newer file to overwrite the older file, or at least to ask you if you want to overwrite it. Without the date and time function that would be impossible.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:48 AM   #4
jlbfoot
idiot
jlbfoot began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505, 300, and 650
I'm a previous 505'er too. I do miss the time hack. But, it can be seen by selecting Home, then Settings. It's not as convenient, but it's there.
jlbfoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
prs-300, settings, time