Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-09-2011, 03:42 AM   #1
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Solar Charger for my Sony!

Today I went out to get a solar charger for my iPhone. The shop had 2-3 different models and as I really didn't know one from another, just randomly selected one.

The model that I chose came with a selection of end plugs for various devices; several different phones, mini-USB in two different configurations, and one that was listed for the PSP...

Now, I bought this as an emergency charger for my phone, but when I got home, I popped on the PSP end-plug, set the charger next to the window, and plugged it into my Sony. The little red light came on immediately. While not the fastest way of charging, after a couple of hours the battery indicator had climbed two bars. It was definitely charging my reader! Yippee!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:03 AM   #2
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Thumbs up

Excellent - so would any solar charger work, as long as the plug fits ?

No power/current/voltage worries or anything else ?

And does that apply to any type of portable gharger?

I have a PowerMonkey (mains charge type), and have plugged it into the 650, the light came up "charging" but then got a bit worried about possibly doing damage.... Forgot to check since.

But a solar PowerMonkee/Gorilla (which is available ) would be a great idea for the Sony - and would give me the excuse to buy one. (Couldn't justify it for just phone ! )
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:55 AM   #3
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Excellent - so would any solar charger work, as long as the plug fits ?
No. Even when the current is correct, it seems that the Sony will only charge from its own charger or one made for the PSP. I tried several different chargers when I first got my reader, and was very disappointed to discover that fact.

Quote:
No power/current/voltage worries or anything else ?
In the case of the solar charger I bought, it matches the PSP charger for numbers.

Quote:
And does that apply to any type of portable gharger?
Sorry... No idea.

Stitchawl
Old 05-09-2011, 09:52 AM   #4
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Stitchawl, that's not generally correct, any barrel connector PSU that gives 5V at +500mA should work fine... you may have found some that didn't but that is not the general experience for myself and most others on MR... I've never used a Sony charger, have a 3rd party PSP one that's fine, 2 spare PSUs from old powered USB hubs and several other 5V PSUs from various sources that work just fine with a 505... and current is not the deciding factor as devices draw the current they require, it's Voltage that's important with Sony's requiring 5V but perfectly happy with 500mA to 2A availability (and probably higher but I usually use a 2A PSU)

Problem is with later models (x50s) that don't have barrel connector socket and can only charge through the USB port... these need correct conditions on USB connector to work properly, usually the same as on phone chargers that use micro-USB... more info on various threads devoted to PSUs and charging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
No. Even when the current is correct, it seems that the Sony will only charge from its own charger or one made for the PSP. I tried several different chargers when I first got my reader, and was very disappointed to discover that fact.

In the case of the solar charger I bought, it matches the PSP charger for numbers.

Last edited by elcreative; 05-09-2011 at 09:55 AM.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:08 PM   #5
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Stitchawl, that's not generally correct, any barrel connector PSU that gives 5V at +500mA should work fine... you may have found some that didn't but that is not the general experience for myself and most others on MR...
Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear in my post. ALL the PlayStation chargers I tried worked well. But I was trying a half dozen different USB-to-mains style chargers, not just PSP. Only the PSP chargers or the Sony charger worked for my 505. Until I found this solar charger, I was limited to charging with a wall socket or computer. Now I have a third option that works while I'm riding down the road or backpacking through the mountains.

Stitchawl
Old 05-10-2011, 07:36 AM   #6
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Could you give us any details on the solar charger you have purchased? Like brand, model, etc.?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:02 AM   #7
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Could you give us any details on the solar charger you have purchased? Like brand, model, etc.?
The only English written on the package said "Dr. Solar!" Solar Charger. Here is a LINK I found for it. This looks to be the same one.

Stitchawl
Old 05-10-2011, 09:04 AM   #8
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Astra

As your in the UK this is the one I use
http://www.powerbee.co.uk/Solar-Phon...rger/p-84-383/

Excellent charger, 3500mah battery, power meter and connectors for all my readers/phone/ds etc - the charging tips plug into a usb port on the charger so as long as you have a usb cable it will charge anything. (The micro usb doesn't have any data connectors so it will even charge the sony x50 readers)

I just leave it angled toward the window and your fine in the summer (Bit grim in the winter, but if you need it just as a spare battery it will charge from a USB port as well)

I've got a few solar chargers and this is by far the best

Regards

MikeB
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:05 AM   #9
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the info... just ordered one

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
Astra

Excellent charger, 3500mah battery, power meter and connectors for all my readers/phone/ds etc - the charging tips plug into a usb port on the charger so as long as you have a usb cable it will charge anything. (The micro usb doesn't have any data connectors so it will even charge the sony x50 readers)

I just leave it angled toward the window and your fine in the summer (Bit grim in the winter, but if you need it just as a spare battery it will charge from a USB port as well)

Regards

MikeB
Old 05-27-2011, 04:11 AM   #10
tusenfem
tusenfem began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
Astra

Regards

MikeB
Hi newbie here!
I just bought this charger and read the instructions.
Surprise surprise, the first sentence of the "safety precautions" reads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar Charger i3500S Manual
Do not expose the product to fire, sunshine or other heat sources ...
Well, the sunny weather has started here in Austria, time to try out my new charger.
tusenfem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:11 AM   #11
elcreative
Wizard

Yes, that "safety precaution" nearly caused me serious problems as I had just taken a mouthful of coffee when I read it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tusenfem View Post
Hi newbie here!
I just bought this charger and read the instructions.
Surprise surprise, the first sentence of the "safety precautions" reads:

Well, the sunny weather has started here in Austria, time to try out my new charger.