Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-02-2010, 04:15 AM   #1
Geppetto
Addict
Geppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS600, Cybook, Hanvon N520, Sony PRS300, Onyx Boox, Kindle 3
New Sony readers 350 and 650: disappointed by Euro prices!

If you check European Sonystyle stores, you will notice that Sony 350 model will cost 179 euros (199 in Italy!) and Sony 650 will cost 249 euros.

I'm quite disappointed, you know, but... well, maybe I shouldn't: tomorrow's arriving my new Kindle!
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:34 AM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
But the Sony 600 is €250! So, it's one euro cheaper

And while the US prices have dropped, EU prices haven't.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:09 AM   #3
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geppetto View Post
If you check European Sonystyle stores, you will notice that Sony 350 model will cost 179 euros (199 in Italy!) and Sony 650 will cost 249 euros.

I'm quite disappointed, you know, but... well, maybe I shouldn't: tomorrow's arriving my new Kindle!
Actually, it's a direct translation of the US prices ($179.99 and $229.99 respectively). The euro has been running about $1.20 lately and then you have to add 19 or 20% VAT by country.

For France, anyhow, $179.99 converts to 149.99€. Then you add 19.6% VAT to get 179.39€.
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:43 AM   #4
yagiz
http://is.gd/4flJX
yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone 3G
Hmm... Travelling to the US in a few weeks... Very tempting, even though the conversion rate isn't great these days.
yagiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:46 AM   #5
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
The euro has not been below $1.25 for years. It's a bit higher now. But let's calculate with 1.25, and let's look at the 650. $229.99 converts to EUR 183.99. Add 20% tax, and the price should be EUR 220.79. That is significantly less than the EUR 249 they ask for the device.
Considering that you can get a Kindle 3 in Europe for approx. EUR 150, including all taxes and shipping, the Sony is far overpriced.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:21 AM   #6
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
I am not surprised over the cost. The prices are close to what I expected.
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:42 AM   #7
abigsmurf
Enthusiast
abigsmurf began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Worth mentioning that the UK gets ripped off even more.

€179 = £150. Our VAT is (for the time being) lower than france's too.

UK price = £159 which is $258!

That's pretty much cemented my Kindle 3 purchase. We're still getting a bit ripped off with that but nowhere near to that extreme and it's pretty cheap regardless
abigsmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:50 AM   #8
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abigsmurf View Post
Worth mentioning that the UK gets ripped off even more.

€179 = £150. Our VAT is (for the time being) lower than france's too.

UK price = £159 which is $258!

That's pretty much cemented my Kindle 3 purchase. We're still getting a bit ripped off with that but nowhere near to that extreme and it's pretty cheap regardless
The Kindle + cover cost us $239.14 (€187). And I had to pay an extra €40 to UPS. So, it's not that much cheaper...
Old 09-03-2010, 05:02 PM   #9
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geppetto View Post

Is there anything new under the sun?
Or did you start the topic in order to advertise Kindle 3?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:18 AM   #10
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetmolm View Post
The euro has not been below $1.25 for years. It's a bit higher now. But let's calculate with 1.25, and let's look at the 650. $229.99 converts to EUR 183.99. Add 20% tax, and the price should be EUR 220.79. That is significantly less than the EUR 249 they ask for the device.
Considering that you can get a Kindle 3 in Europe for approx. EUR 150, including all taxes and shipping, the Sony is far overpriced.
I was just checking bol.com, for my mother. The Sony 650: € 229,00, available at 16.09.2010....