Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-11-2010, 10:23 PM   #1
ajbrutico
ajbrutico began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
How to make a PDF table of contents work in epub

Hello, I have a medical text as pdf that I want to place into my ipad in epub format. The TOC is simply labeled "Contents" and then has Sections numbered one through twenty-eight, and each section has numbered chapters labeled by numbers 1 through 312.

Example

Section 1:

1 Head
2 Ears
3 Eyes
4 Nose

Section 2:

5 Throat
6 Neck

Each of the Areas (Head, Ears, Eyes, etc.), are hyperlinked in the PDF, allowing me to click it and go to the proper place in the book.

When the epub is made, these hyperlinks break, and now just send the user to the front cover of the book.

This is a 1200 page book, so a TOC is a must to navigate....

Any ideas??

Thanks!

AJB
ajbrutico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:38 AM   #2
fichtennadel
fichtennadel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Question

Same problem for me. I've searched lots of threads here, but no useful answer.

I would like to have the pdf's existing TOC to be converted to the TOC in epub/mobi (or whatever). The only way I found so far is somehow "deriving" the TOC backwards from calibre's conversion results, using html tags/classes.

So I would like to ask for help again: is there a way to get the pdf's existing TOC to be converted to the TOC in epub/mobi?

fichtennadel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2010, 08:54 AM   #3
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
There is no way to do this. The current pdf conversion engine destroys any data which would allow this to happen. That engine is on the way out though, a new conversion engine is in the works. However I don't believe seamlessly converting the existing TOC is at the top of the to-do list, but it could get added in at some point.

You can also try enabling the Preprocess option under structure detection - this enables some more aggressive searching to identify different sections of the pdf - it may do what you want in some cases.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:31 AM   #4
fichtennadel
fichtennadel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
There is no way to do this. The current pdf conversion engine destroys any data which would allow this to happen.
I see, thanks for clarification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
That engine is on the way out though, a new conversion engine is in the works. However I don't believe seamlessly converting the existing TOC is at the top of the to-do list, but it could get added in at some point.
Sounds nice, so please be so kind and add it to to-do list.
fichtennadel is offline   Reply With Quote