Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-13-2009, 02:19 PM   #61
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Would you leave the army under the control of private corporations and individuals? Well, that's most Europeans' view with healthcare and education (and other subjects)

(I fear someone will tell me the army already is under the control of private corporations)
W.R.T. Army and control, I observe that the Founding Fathers of the US wanted to have it both ways. On the one hand, they certainly thought that providing for the common defense was a legitimate function of government. On the other hand, they felt that a "well regulated militia"* was key to keeping the government in its limited place. The historical record seems clear that the US's FFs were strong believers in a citizen's right -- or even duty -- to shoot back at the government if/when it became intolerable. After all, they'd only recently finished doing exactly that!

And remember that at the time they were writing the guy who got to be Colonel of Militia was the one who could afford to buy the cannon and other "heavy weapons." Or equip a warship, to use a naval example -- an example they certainly considered (look at the "letters of marque and reprisal" clauses in the Constitution).

Xenophon

*Note that common 18th c. usage of the word "regulated" was quite different from current usage.
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:21 PM   #62
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I'm curious about something. What do Europeans do if they believe they are not receiving the best care available? Over here, we fuss and grumble and write letters to clinic managers until a problem is solved.
We do exactly the same thing. We have government bodies and complaints procedures when we we're displeased with treatment.

And on the cultural divide, could it be that Europeans are more cynical than their American cousins, speaking generally of course? Less sentimental, perhaps? I'm racking my brains to find anything in European culture that has an equivalent to the "American Dream", which is an inherently hopeful premise.

Last edited by Moejoe; 04-13-2009 at 02:25 PM.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2009, 02:30 PM   #63
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
[...] I'm racking my brains to find anything in European culture that has an equivalent to the "American Dream", which is an inherently hopeful premise.

To emigrate to the US? JUST KIDDING!

Now back to the serious discussion.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:33 PM   #64
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
To emigrate to the US? JUST KIDDING!

Now back to the serious discussion.
LOL I think the "American Dream" idea is interesting, because all I can find in my culture (UK) is the idea of the "Stiff Upper Lip" or "Keep Your 'ead Down", both inherently pessimistic.

The American Dream says that you can have whatever you want, be whomever you please, that opportunity is there for the taking.

The Stiff Upper Lip mentality is that life is hard, keep it together, don't show what's inside, soldier on.

I think there's something important in those two cultural attitudes that might explain the differences in opinions.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:36 PM   #65
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
We do exactly the same thing. We have government bodies and complaints procedures when we we're displeased with treatment.
There's a campaign going at the moment over the deaths at Staffordshire General Hospital.
http://www.curethenhs.co.uk/site/content_about.php
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2009, 02:37 PM   #66
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, that's definitely an area in which the US was a leader.
Well ... Joshua Ben Gamla was praised to introduce a compulsory education in jewish areas about 100 AD. The Aztecs introduced one approx 14th century AD. In parts of Germany it got introduced in 1592 (the first compulsory education for both, girls and boys, worldwide). The parliament of Scotland introduced it somewhere in the 17th century (if I remember correctly, no fun in looking up). Since 1800 (+- 10 years) every part of Germany has governmental paid, compulsory education for both genders (since 183? 8+ years) 185? in the United States is soo very late
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:39 PM   #67
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A good example is education. Until 1880, education was not compulsory in England, and until 1891 it was not free. I'm sure, however, that today most people would consider it a fundamental duty of the government of a country to provide an educational system, and access to education to be a "right".
One of the ways the USA differs from Europe and much of the rest of the world is that the US has an extra layer of Government. The United States of America is exactly that, and federation of Governmental entities called States, which theoretically have the sovereignty of an independent nation but who have united together for certain functions like the common defense and interstate commerce.

In reality what we have is a constant struggle between state governments and the federal government for control (power) over the population and thus the purse strings.

The layer of government that The USA shares with the rest of the world is the local government, cities, counties, parishes, etc. In most of the country, public education is relegated to local governments and paid for with local taxes. Oversight is given to state and federal bureaucrats, ostensibly to insure “equality” but that’s another issue too.

Get to the point, wodin!

The point is; Hawaii is the only state that public education is funded and managed at the state level, and it is completely out of control. The Department of Education’s budget is a very large fraction of the entire State budget, the Director of the DOE is the only department head that is able to challenge the Governor and prevail. There is an elected School Board which is largely a paper tiger with no teeth. And the quality of education in Hawaii, depending on who does the survey is typically in the lower five or ten in the nation.

Conversely, Hawaii has some of the finest private schools to be found anywhere. One of them has produced the incumbent President of the US, and another provides excellent free primary education to native Hawaiian children.

Get to the point, wodin!

The REAL point is, the more that Governments get involved with service, the lower the quality of that service. Do you REALLY want your health care managed by bureaucrats?
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:43 PM   #68
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

MoeJoe: i think you have hit on a basis that needs examining, that's for sure. I maybe had that sort of idea rumbling around in my head and heart, but it never jelled until I read your post.

Maybe because it would never occur to me to categorize us as optimistic and you guys as pessimistic.

Which leads me to another question: How do you all as a group consider yourselves to be weathering the global economic nightmare if you are basically pessimistic? Because we know it's tough out there, but dog gone it, we as an American group know things will change for the better very soon.... and we as individuals plan on winning.

In other words, do you see the economy as a problem or an opportunity?

Last edited by DixieGal; 04-13-2009 at 02:46 PM. Reason: I didn't specify to whom I was replying.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:43 PM   #69
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post

The REAL point is, the more that Governments get involved with service, the lower the quality of that service. Do you REALLY want your health care managed by bureaucrats?
I think I'll take the bureaucrats over Global-Hyper-Mega-Profit-Corp any day
Old 04-13-2009, 02:44 PM   #70
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
. . . Let us hypothesize that an education of equal quality for all children could minimize this difference between the starting points of individuals, to somehow create a perfect meritocracy (or at least a closer approximation of it). What I often hear people say is that they don't want to have to pay for the education of other people's children. They want the best for their own children, to make them "able to compete," and though they rarely say so out loud, one gets the sense that if the "other" children don't have as many educational opportunities, so much the better for the kids lucky enough to be born into "good" families . . .
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here. And I'm not sure how to ask for clarification in response, so I'll just open my mouth and see what comes out. I'll apologize in advance if it makes no sense.

Sounds like you're talking about the need for children to start out on an equal footing with basic education no matter what their socioeconomic status, but they're not getting that opportunity because some people are saying they don't want to pay for the education of "other" children, only their own. I'm not sure I understand that, if it's indeed what you're saying.

We all in the U.S. pay for basic elementary public education from grades K-thru-12 through our property taxes. Even if we have no children, or are retired and our children are grown, we pay these school district taxes. So, like it or not, we're paying for the education of all the "other" children. I don't understand how, (aside from private schooling) the oppotunity for public education is not there for all.

I'm confused and I'm probably misunderstanding your whole point.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:47 PM   #71
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
i think you have hit on a basis that needs examining, that's for sure. I maybe had that sort of idea rumbling around in my head and heart, but it never jelled until I read your post.

Maybe because it would never occur to me to categorize us as optimistic and you guys as pessimistic.

Which leads me to another question: How do you all as a group consider yourselves to be weathering the global economic nightmare if you are basically pessimistic? Because we know it's tough out there, but dog gone it, we as an American group know things will change for the better very soon.... and we as individuals plan on winning.

That's a tough one. The majority of people I've come across are angry, pissed off, and want something to be done to the bankers (lengthy prison terms or public stockades are the most popular ) I don't think I've come across anybody who would see this as anything but a tragedy. And certainly not anyone who would think of this crisis as an opportunity.

I'm not exaclty sure what you mean by opportunity? Do you mean, profit from the crisis?
Old 04-13-2009, 02:49 PM   #72
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
There are no problems, only opportunities.
Our economy is an insurmountable opportunity.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:50 PM   #73
DixieGal
Hi There!

Quote:
That's a tough one. The majority of people I've come across are angry, pissed off, and want something to be done to the bankers (lengthy prison terms or public stockades are the most popular ) I don't think I've come across anybody who would see this as anything but a tragedy. And certainly not anyone who would think of this crisis as an opportunity.

I'm not exaclty sure what you mean by opportunity? Do you mean, profit from the crisis?
Maybe it is just me? Because I'm a bargain hunter, and now seems like the perfect time to stock up on houses and stocks. You know, buy 'em cheap now and sell 'em high when things turn around.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:51 PM   #74
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
There's a campaign going at the moment over the deaths at Staffordshire General Hospital.
http://www.curethenhs.co.uk/site/content_about.php
If that had happened in the US, there would be lawsuits. It would cost the hospital millions.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:52 PM   #75
DixieGal
Hi There!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
There are no problems, only opportunities.
Our economy is an insurmountable opportunity.

Well... yes, as a matter of fact. Sorry to be so sunshiney about it. Now stop being so cute in The Conservatory or they will throw us out.