Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-15-2007, 04:48 AM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
How do you keep track of what e-books you've already read?

If you buy a p-book, it's easy to remember the books you've already read - the book in your bookshelf will always remind you. But how do you deal with e-books?

The more e-books I read, the harder I find it to remember and track the books I've read in the past. This is particularly annoying when I try to find the sequence to a book but cannot remember its title nor its author.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 05:58 AM   #2
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
I keep a tabbed spreadsheet that tracks what I've read. Between e-books, p-books and audiobooks I'd never keep it straight otherwise.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2007, 08:33 AM   #3
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I usually try an author with his most popular works and if I like him or her, I read everything he or she writes. Sometimes it is more difficult because I have a title in French or one in English and for the same work they are completely different.

Of course the best way to remember is to savor what I read, to stop and reflect if the work requires it. I did at some point take written notes but mental ones are better. Now I mark pages on the reader. If I come across a book with Marks, it's been read.

An other way is to format for the reader only if you plan to read the book. That way if you see in your collection a book that was fomated for the reader, (you know 16pt text!) chances are you read or tried to read it. Some books are boring or offensive to intelligence.

And best of all... a reading plan. Mine is ready for the next 3 months. Right now I'm reading Asimov's 14 foundation series.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 09:10 AM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Huh. I hadn't thought about this. I guess I've just always kinda 'known' what I've read, the same way I always kinda 'know' where I parked the car, I guess. I'll probably start losing both of those before too long, so I guess I should start thinking about some sort of system.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 10:55 AM   #5
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Once, I've read a book for 50 pages, according to title, only to find I had read it in French. It took me that long to recognize it! Ok! I had read it long ago but I can't understand how they let some translators take such liberties with a story... Now add this to the balance and it gets way complicated. I have to cross search all titles in both languages. I love WIKI !
Advert
Old 02-15-2007, 01:50 PM   #6
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I set up 2 folders on my PC: Unread e-books; and read e-books. I move the unread books a few at a time onto my PPC, and once finished, move them to the read folder on the PC, to conserve PPC storage space.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 02:03 PM   #7
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I have been keeping a list recently. I tend to enjoy following book series in order like Vince Flynn's Mitch Rapp books, so if I'm on book 4, I know I read books 1-3! ;-)

But my memory is so bad that it probably doesn't matter much if I read a book before or not. I just think to myself that I'm getting really good at predicting the plot!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 02:04 PM   #8
raevyn1
Connoisseur
raevyn1 doesn't litterraevyn1 doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, Sony Reader, Treo 755p, Palm T|X
For p-books, I use Readerware. For e-books, I use a large directory folder with subfolders labeled by author name for organization. Unread e-books are kept in a separate folder labeled 1st Reads. Once read the e-book is placed under the author subfolder. It's not very elegant, but it works for me and keeps from buying books I already have. On my iLiad, I use a SD card on which I have unread books by title, but once read the books are placed in a folder labeled "Read". Haven't found a good way to organize my Sony Reader yet.

Last edited by raevyn1; 02-15-2007 at 02:47 PM.
raevyn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 06:05 PM   #9
Jadon
Hermit
Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Glo
I use a simple list, which is how I can say I've read 214 works in the fourteen months since I got my ETI-2, about half of them standalone shorts, the rest mostly novels, plus a dozen or so nonfiction books. Besides what I have read, the list also notes what series I'm following, so I can pick up the next work when I see it.

One thing I note is that I read far more short works in e-form than I would in p-form. I rarely bought collections or anthologies, and I let my magazine subscriptions lapse years ago, but I'll take a chance on a short for free.
Jadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 11:00 PM   #10
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Huh. I hadn't thought about this. I guess I've just always kinda 'known' what I've read, the same way I always kinda 'know' where I parked the car, I guess. I'll probably start losing both of those before too long, so I guess I should start thinking about some sort of system.
Yeah, but if your mind is that far gone then you'll really enjoy that "new" book you just found and it wouldn't matter. lol j/k
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 12:03 AM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That'd be great, Azayzel, then I could have a really small library!
Old 02-16-2007, 08:38 AM   #12
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
I use listpro. Then i can see what I have read and when I read it
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 08:48 AM   #13
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
That'd be great, Azayzel, then I could have a really small library!
When you get to read the same book over and over and over... You'll have a guaranteed reservation for 'Padded Cell Hotel'
Old 02-16-2007, 09:46 AM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist

Sounds comfortable too, yvanleterrible! And life is crazy enough for us right now that it actually sounds restful ... should that worry me?
Old 02-16-2007, 10:41 AM   #15
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I use the web-based librarything to keep track of my p-books (for e-books I put the author and title in the filename and keep a copy on my PC). Librarything would work for e-books, and you can even associate a p-book cover with the listing. Since it allows multiple tags per book, you can also store both p-books and e-books.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote