Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 05-10-2012, 08:38 AM   #1
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad Mini4, Kindle Voyage
Stylus Quention

I have a rather different stylus question. I currently use this stylus:

http://www.amazon.com/Bluecell-Unive...6652814&sr=1-7

The stylus seems to work okay and I've used it on by Sony T1 for several weeks but since I've never used any other stylus I have no comparison. The problem I have is that after just a few minutes the stylus feels sticky or tacky. It doesn't affect how the stylus works, just how it feels in my hand but it's an annoyance.

Anyone have a similar experience or even an opinion as to whether this is something about this particular stylus or just the way my skin reacts? I looked for a stylus made of plastic instead of metal but couldn't find any ones. Any suggestions?
GeckoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:05 AM   #2
jduck
Connoisseur
jduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it is

Device: kindle Fire
I have some that look just like those. I am pretty sure they are made of plastic. But I'm not sure exactly which item I have because my wife ordered them on her account.

I don't have any problem with mine so maybe it is your skin :-) I know I have a lot of trouble with the new logitech touch mouse's surface getting sticky from my skin oil.

Last edited by jduck; 05-10-2012 at 09:12 AM.
jduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:18 AM   #3
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
My wife uses one that looks like that. It seems to be metal to me, and she has no complaints. I use the various dirt cheap plastic ones, and haven't had an issue with the feel, but I only use it occasionally.
(I keep mine in an adhesive pen holder, and I once wound up with some of the excess adhesive on the stylus...could something similar have happened to you? Could the stickyness have transferred from somewhere? You could also try lightly sanding the barrel to give it a less suction-y smooth finish.
ApK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:08 AM   #4
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
You could also try lightly sanding the barrel to give it a less suction-y smooth finish.
This is a good idea. My coworker suggested it to me when I was kinda griping about the stylus to my Wacom tablet feeling kinda weird. And, I gotta say, I've loved the way it felt since I did a little scrubbing.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:24 AM   #5
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for your responses. I think I'll try the sanding idea and see if that helps. I would buy a more expensive stylus but I suspect that might not make any difference.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:52 PM   #6
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Gecko, I have the exact same one and been using it for about a month, with no problem such as you describe. I wonder if the one you got has a defect in the barrel or something.

I use this constantly and never touch the screen anymore with my fingers, which keeps it nice and clean. Also, with my big fingers, I had a lot of trouble trying to tap the Settings icon, but with this stylus, it opens the settings immediately. I love this gadget, and the price sure is right.

Good luck with the sanding.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #7
GeckoFriend
Guru

Sanding the barrel of the stylus definitely helped but I'll continue looking for a different kind of stylus if anyone has any suggestions.

The really good news is my new Fire arrived this morning, a day early. I'm off to play with it and hopefully it won't have the problems of the original.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:19 PM   #8
PookaLady
Enthusiast
PookaLady began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo , Kindle 3,Kindle Fire
I use the exact same stylus.I have recommended and purchased extra ones for friends.I do not know what happened to yours but it is definitely not the norm.These really are great.

Last edited by PookaLady; 05-10-2012 at 08:21 PM. Reason: the automatic text fixer decided to change my correct word to an incorrect wprdd
PookaLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:31 PM   #9
GeckoFriend
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PookaLady View Post
I use the exact same stylus.I have recommended and purchased extra ones for friends.I do not know what happened to yours but it is definitely not the norm.These really are great.
The good news portion is even though they're cheap, they do seem to be a decent stylus.

I do think it's something about my skin chemistry reacting with the metal even though I've never had a nickel allergy or anything similar.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:36 AM   #10
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoFriend View Post
Sanding the barrel of the stylus definitely helped
Good! Though it just occurred to me: aren't gecko fingers supposed to stick to stuff?
ApK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:57 AM   #11
GeckoFriend
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Good! Though it just occurred to me: aren't gecko fingers supposed to stick to stuff?
Only walls and ceilings.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:56 PM   #12
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
i never really thought of getting a stylus until i saw this thread :O and the many fingerprints on my fire, lol. i was thinking of getting the one from AmazonBasics...
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #13
Gibbloggen
Gibbloggen began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thumbs up Using sandpaper on the tip of mine worked great

Hi,

I found this thread through a search for sticky stylus. After reading the sanding suggestion, I wondered if that would work on my tip. So, I sanded it, and now it is really working well. Many Thanks,

The Gibb
Gibbloggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:11 AM   #14
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I pick mine up at Dollar Tree. Problem I have some are Firm... Which I Love. Some are Soft... Which I Hate. Thing is cant tell till I get them home. So I figure for a few dollars more Can some one recomend which one the best...firm please!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:23 AM   #15
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I pick mine up at Dollar Tree. Problem I have some are Firm... Which I Love. Some are Soft... Which I Hate. Thing is cant tell till I get them home. So I figure for a few dollars more Can some one recomend which one the best...firm please!
I have a Rocketfish. It outlived my Bamboo.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote