Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-26-2012, 06:29 PM   #106
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
When 10:30pm is LATE.
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:05 PM   #107
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Remember when---

All the girls had ugly gym uniforms? And wore tennis shoes not $200 Nike's!

It took three minutes for the TV to warm up?

Nobody owned a purebred dog?

When a quarter was a decent allowance?

You'd reach into a muddy gutter for a penny?

Your Mom wore nylons that came in two pieces?

You got your windshield cleaned, oil checked, and gas pumped, without asking, all for free, every time? And you didn't pay for air? And, you got trading stamps to boot?

Laundry detergent had free glasses, dishes or towels hidden inside the box?

It was considered a great privilege to be taken out to dinner at a real restaurant with your parents?

They threatened to keep kids back a grade if they failed... and they did it!

When a 57 Chevy was everyone's dream car...to cruise, peel out, lay rubber or watch submarine races, and people went steady?

No one ever asked where the car keys were because they were always in the car, in the ignition, and the doors were never locked?

Lying on your back in the grass with your friends... and saying things like, 'That cloud looks like a... '?

Playing baseball with no adults to help kids with the rules of the game?

Stuff from the store came without safety caps and hermetic seals because no one had yet tried to poison a perfect stranger...

And with all our progress, don't you just wish, just once, you could slip back in time and savor the slower pace, and share it with the children of today.

When being sent to the principal's office was nothing compared to the fate that awaited the student at home?

Basically we were in fear for our lives, but it wasn't because of drive-by shootings, drugs, gangs, etc. Our parents and grandparents were a much bigger threat! But we survived because their love was greater than the threat.

And our summers were filled with bike rides, Hula Hoops, and visits to the pool, and eating Kool-Aid powder with sugar.

Didn't that feel good, just to go back and say, 'Yeah, I remember that'?

I am sharing this with you today because it ended with a Double Dog Dare to pass it on... To remember what a Double Dog Dare is, read on... And remember that the perfect age is somewhere between old enough to know better and too young to care.

Send this on to someone who can still remember Howdy Doody and The Peanut Gallery, the Lone Ranger, The Shadow Knows, Nellie Bell , Roy and Dale, Trigger and Buttermilk.

How Many Of These Do You Remember?
Candy cigarettes...

Wax Coke-shaped wax bottles with colored sugar water inside...

Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles...

Coffee shops with Table Side Jukeboxes...

Blackjack, Clove and Teaberry chewing gum...

Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers...

Newsreels before the movie...

Telephone numbers with a word prefix...( Yukon 2-601). Party lines...

Peashooters...

Hi-Fi's & 45 RPM records...

78 RPM records...

Green Stamps...

Mimeograph paper...

The Fort Apache Play Set...

Do You Remember a Time When Decisions were made by going...
'eeny-meeny-miney-moe'?

Mistakes were corrected by simply exclaiming, 'Do Over!'?

'Race issue' meant arguing about who ran the fastest?

Catching The Fireflies Could Happily Occupy An Entire Evening?

It wasn't odd to have two or three 'Best
Friends'...

Having a Weapon in School meant being caught with a Slingshot?

Saturday morning cartoons weren't 30-minute commercials for action figures?

'Oly-oly-oxen-free' made perfect sense?

Spinning around, getting dizzy, and falling down was cause for giggles?

The Worst Embarrassment was being picked last for a team?

War was a card game?

Baseball cards in the spokes transformed any bike into a motorcycle?

Taking drugs meant orange flavored chewable aspirin?

Water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

If you can remember most or all of these, Then You Have Lived!!!!!!!

Last edited by wodin; 01-27-2012 at 07:08 PM.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:22 AM   #108
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
- you remember when animated shows from Japan weren't known as anime.

- you didn't worry about fonts because the one that came on your typewriter was it.

- The movie "Wizard Of Oz" was an annual event on television.

- "auto tune" meant you were having your car worked on.

- vampires meant Bela Lugosi and Christopher Lee.

- a robot cop meant "8 Man," not "Robocop."
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:26 AM   #109
iq6000
Enthusiast
iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!iq6000 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: ECO Reader, iPhone
I felt old the other day at work. I am a grandma but I work in IT...that makes me feel old anyway. My team leader was born the year after I got married.
I was telling the guys at work how surprised I was to hear a local department store playing the Buzzcocks on their PA. (and they kept interrupting the song to make announcements, much to the annoyance of my husband). The kids I work with laughed - not because Big W were playing the Buzzers - but because I said "Buzzcocks" at work.
*sigh
Angela
iq6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:59 AM   #110
Aladyleyna
Zealot
Aladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notes

Device: iPad 1
Kids as young as 6 are familiar with mobile phones.

When I was six I didn't even know what a mobile phone was. Now, my kids shout "Angry Birds!" and ask to play games every time I take my phone out.
Aladyleyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:31 AM   #111
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDln View Post
You know you're getting older if you still own a record player and 8-track player...
I still own a record player and an 8-track player, and a Betamax. I'm pretty sure that they all still work!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:35 PM   #112
DrDln
Banned
DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I still own a record player and an 8-track player, and a Betamax. I'm pretty sure that they all still work!
I have record player that works too. My 8-track player was broken. So I threw away 8-track tapes. I never had betamax

But our children ask, what is this? They want to see it playing a record.

So you are too old when kids ask what is record player!
DrDln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:30 PM   #113
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I remember seeing an add in the J. C. Whitney catalog (yes it was around back then) for a record player that had a mechanism that would prevent the needle from skipping when you went over a bump. It would mount in your car under the dash board and would only play 45 RPM singles, one at a time. The trouble was it would apply extra pressure on the needle, and would ruin your records.

Then someone invented 8 tracks!

<------------------Edit--------------->

On reflection I realized that my memory was a bit off, that thing actually played 33 RPM LPs, which made it slightly more useful (and larger). Then you could ruin your albums instead of just your singles!

Last edited by wodin; 01-30-2012 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Alzhiemer's
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:38 PM   #114
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
I remember seeing an add in the J. C. Whitney catalog (yes it was around back then) for a record player that had a mechanism that would prevent the needle from skipping when you went over a bump. It would mount in your car under the dash board and would only play 45 RPM singles, one at a time. The trouble was it would apply extra pressure on the needle, and would ruin your records.

Then someone invented 8 tracks!
Which rarely die of old age. They usually ended their lives next to the curbs on city streets. BTW, don't forget 4-tracks and reel-to-reels!
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:54 PM   #115
DrDln
Banned
DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
You're too old if you still listen to cassette tapes (as I do). No body dies of living, only of not living.
DrDln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:27 AM   #116
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aladyleyna View Post
Kids as young as 6 are familiar with mobile phones.

When I was six I didn't even know what a mobile phone was. Now, my kids shout "Angry Birds!" and ask to play games every time I take my phone out.
The only ones who had mobile phones were Dick Tracy and Maxwell Smart.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:54 PM   #117
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDln View Post
You know you're getting old if you learned typing on typewriter.
I did that back in 7th grade ('70 it must have been) and that may still be the most useful craft I learned in school. Great skill to have when computers came along.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:29 PM   #118
ElsieC
Zealot
ElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmos

Device: Sony PRS-505
I learned to type on my mom's electric typewriter. I remember being in awe of the IBM Selectric typewriter (which we had at my first job) which had correction tape when you pressed backspace so you didn't have to erase or use White Out.

Last edited by ElsieC; 03-19-2012 at 09:39 PM.
ElsieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:13 PM   #119
Fozzybear
Enthusiast
Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
You know you're getting old when the song you like that was out 'a couple of years back' turns out to be more than a decade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire1 View Post
I remember Basic well. I wrote an entire database program in Basic...and it was so beautiful. I...[sniff]...miss Basic.
I remember learning BASIC at home on my Amstrad CPC and being amazed before that when people used to program the computers in the local department store to fill the screen with Hello World messages:

10 print "hello world";
20 goto 10

Fozzybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:38 AM   #120
silvan4now
Groupie
silvan4now ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silvan4now ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silvan4now ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silvan4now ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silvan4now ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silvan4now ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silvan4now ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silvan4now ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silvan4now ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silvan4now ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silvan4now ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
watching a cartoon you loved some years ago is just NEAH
silvan4now is offline   Reply With Quote