Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-12-2010, 07:42 AM   #61
Robert22
Zealot
Robert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: PRS-505 600 300 350 T1 T2 Kindle PW1 PW2 KV Clara 2E Libra 2 Leaf 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by diokdin View Post
Also don't want smears on my screen where I'll be reading.
I too am really finicky about fingerprints. I have an iPod Touch that really shows off fingerprints because of the shiny smooth glass that is used. This is not the case with the new Sony's. Fingerprints are barely visible, only under certain lighting conditions and angles, and in any way detracts from the reading experience. In addition, you don't even have to touch the screen, and just a 1/4 inch swipe is all that is required to turn the page. I thought that this would be an issue, but it really wasn't.
Robert22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:32 PM   #62
helenching78
helenching78 is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS 300
It's really very impressive. How I wanted the upgrade for sooo long.
It seems that I'm nearly getting back my Clie TH-55 - of course now I don't care about the colorful backlit screen anymore. I want e-ink as I'm getting quite a lot of eye strains lately. Good job Sony!

Now I have to wonder when they will start their advance into the China and Japan market. And whether they will have Chinese or Japanese language support. I'll certainly be thrilled if they will!
I can't wait to get one. But I'm afraid I'll still have to wait. Well...

At least I still have the PRS-300 to play with at the time being.
helenching78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2010, 03:54 PM   #63
mwheinz
award-winning bozo
mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmikov View Post
Now I really don't know what to do with my existing readers and how to justify new one.
I know, right? My 600 is only a year old, but that new screen looks so tasty!
mwheinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:24 PM   #64
JirkaS
JirkaS began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, Sony PRS 505
They aparently solved the glare problem and quality of the screen, great!
However, what a different does this make, if the book is not comming thru - simply because you are using chracters Sony pretend they do not exists. Try any book with these chanracters - "čřžý" and you'll see garbage. What I really don't understand - why they do not do this simple sw change? Even we - here on this forum - knew ho to do that for 505. What is so dificult on such simple stuff?
JirkaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 12:58 PM   #65
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post
Excellent video Charbax, thanks - more than good enough to see that I want one. I nearly bought a K3 now I won't.

In Spain I've no chance to see the new readers in the flesh for some time, no announcement or distribution set-up as yet.

Anybody know where will be the best place to mail order from the US?
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
AFAIK, the best and the only place that ships Sony Readers outside the country is B&H Photo Video.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
I've only heard good things (and used them myself) about BHPhotoVideo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-reader View Post
Ditto here. I bought my PRS-900 from them, and they can count on my dollars for a PRS-950 when it comes out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainycat View Post
I've only ordered domestically from bhphotovideo, but I've spent hundreds of dollars there over dozens of orders and I can only give them the highest recommendations.

Sadly I've Just had a very much less than satisfactory experience with them details in this thread
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2010, 08:30 PM   #66
toomuchreading
Groupie
toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-T1
Your old reader will make an excellent 'spur of the moment' gift to someone deserving in your family, as they are drooling over a demo... 'here it's your's'... then off you go to buy the new one......running as fast as possible...
toomuchreading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:56 PM   #67
robertpolson
Connoisseur
robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: none
I picked a silver PRS 650 Yesterday. So far so good. I decided to sell my iPad and keep PRS 650. Ipad is great but iphone 4 does most of what I do on my ipad. As for pure reading experience, e-ink is so much better than looking at the ipad screen. PRS 650 has a beautiful screen and allows me to put my own epub files. Touch screen works well, I can highlight important text, export it to RTF later on and save it to Evernote.

Recommended!
robertpolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:57 AM   #68
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Sadly I've Just had a very much less than satisfactory experience with them details in this thread
This is indeed unfortunate, thanks for sharing your experience.
In fact, I didn't end up ordering my PRS-650 from them, as they didn't stock the original Sony case with reading light. I ordered it form SonyStyle direct using a mailbox forwarded in the US.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:22 AM   #69
roger the rabbit
Addict
roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T3, 650 Black, 505, Kobo Glo HD Aura ONE
Quote:

Thanks for the heads up!

B&H certainly look as though they have shot themselves in the foot over this - I'll not be using them.
roger the rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:50 AM   #70
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Nice greasy fingerprints on that screen. Why anyone likes a touch screen with fingers is beyond me.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:29 PM   #71
etienne66
Groupie
etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 2, PRS-600 Black, PRS-650 Red, Adam w/ Pixel Qi(pre-ordered)
Never mind. The offending post has been deleted.

Etienne66

Last edited by etienne66; 09-21-2010 at 08:42 PM.
etienne66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:06 AM   #72
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackVoid View Post
Nice greasy fingerprints on that screen. Why anyone likes a touch screen with fingers is beyond me.
The Sony's have a stylus...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:56 AM   #73
Iridal
Mysteriarch
Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, Kindle 3
I've been thinking about buying a reader for quite some time since so many of my books literally get destroyed in transport (traveling 3 hours to and from work every day). I really like the look of the Sony PRS 650, and the dictionary function makes it even more interesting. The positive comments in this thread have definitely showed me that the new Sony Reader would be a good choice !

I also really like the new Cybook Orizon ... But then I'd have to wait until October to get one o.O And that's assuming they'll sell the Cybook Orizon in stores in Belgium so I can at least hold it and look at it before I buy it.

Don't know what to do *sigh*
Iridal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:42 PM   #74
vinniet
Connoisseur
vinniet has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-500
I just bought the PRS-600 and the new software looks much better, especially the home screen. I hope they upgrade the PRS-600 with this new software.
vinniet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:27 AM   #75
Charbax
Addict
Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I filmed a new video review with my opinions on this product:

Published to: http://armdevices.net/2010/10/18/rev...touch-edition/

Last week my Grandmother video-reviewed it as well:

Charbax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sony