Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: April 2010 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
The Egg and I by Betty MacDonald 19 25.33%
Topper by Thorne Smith 5 6.67%
A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole 10 13.33%
My man Jeeves by P G Wodehouse 2 2.67%
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark Twain 7 9.33%
Fool by Christopher Moore 3 4.00%
Augustus Carp, Esq. - Being the Autobiography of a Really Good Man by Henry Bashford 0 0%
A Damon Runyon Omnibus 1 1.33%
Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore 10 13.33%
The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde 16 21.33%
Candide by Voltaire 2 2.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-28-2010, 08:47 PM   #91
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Perhaps I’ve been a bit hasty in wanting to see something besides The Egg and I win the voting. After all; a book that begins by using the following quote to introduce Part I can’t be all bad:

Such duty as the subject owes the prince,
Even such a woman owes to her husband.
— Shakespeare

WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:47 PM   #92
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Perhaps I’ve been a bit hasty in wanting to see something besides The Egg and I win the voting. After all; a book that begins by using the following quote to introduce Part I can’t be all bad:

— Shakespeare

Ole Billy must have never married.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2010, 09:07 PM   #93
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Ole Billy must have never married.

BOb
I had to keep a look-out for the wife while I wrote that post!
Old 03-28-2010, 09:22 PM   #94
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:

— Shakespeare

Hey, that's dirty pool. pulling out the feminist card...

Guess it depends on the the ratio of male to female voters though.

I see your avatar is still on vacation. How's tricks?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:38 PM   #95
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok... I finally voted for.....

Lamb...

sorry about that Jon!

BOb
Advert
Old 03-28-2010, 10:38 PM   #96
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

... but I am adding Topper to my toread list and putting it on my Kindle.

BOb
Old 03-28-2010, 10:56 PM   #97
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Hey, that's dirty pool. pulling out the feminist card...

Guess it depends on the the ratio of male to female voters though.
I learned dirty tricks watching American politics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I see your avatar is still on vacation. How's tricks?
I hear a rumor he may be back tomorrow. I haven't from him directly since he left to visit Ea's avatar in Denmark. Neither of us knows what they've been up to.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:01 PM   #98
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Ok... I finally voted for.....

Lamb...
Yea!

Quote:
... but I am adding Topper to my toread list and putting it on my Kindle. ...
You'll love it! Trust me! Have I ever lied to you?

Well, trust me anyway!
Old 03-28-2010, 11:49 PM   #99
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I hear a rumor he may be back tomorrow. I haven't from him directly since he left to visit Ea's avatar in Denmark. Neither of us knows what they've been up to.
I made that mistake too. I think she said she was in Australia... her profile actually says "Danmark" but not where that is.

So, Ea... spill the beans... what country are you a resident of?

BOb
Old 03-28-2010, 11:59 PM   #100
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
I made that mistake too. I think she said she was in Australia... her profile actually says "Danmark" but not where that is.

BOb
No wonder my avatar's been gone so long. If he went to Denmark before traveling to Australia he's probably lost! That would explain why Ea's avatar is missing. No doubt her avatar has been out looking for my avatar!

Kids. Sheesh! Whatcha' gonna' do?
Old 03-29-2010, 04:51 AM   #101
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:

BOb
Why, The Kingdom of Denmark of course I just spelled it like it's supposed to be

Quote:
No wonder my avatar's been gone so long. If he went to Denmark before traveling to Australia he's probably lost! That would explain why Ea's avatar is missing. No doubt her avatar has been out looking for my avatar!
Given the weather they ought to have gone to Australia, but I know no more than you
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:38 AM   #102
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Come on folks.. give Lamb a try... What other book has Biff? Biff is a real funny guy. Biff is a lot more funny then an egg or a detective named Thursday. Besides.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:00 AM   #103
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Hey I was thinking about Biff and thinking there is a writing opportunity here for

"God's Grandkid Gordon"
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:01 AM   #104
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Come on folks.. give Lamb a try... What other book has Biff? Biff is a real funny guy. Biff is a lot more funny then an egg or a detective named Thursday. Besides.
Really? Have you read all 3 books?

BOb
Old 03-29-2010, 11:02 AM   #105
Zipr
Zealot
Zipr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Come on folks.. give Lamb a try... What other book has Biff?
http://www.thebookofbiff.com/
Zipr is offline   Reply With Quote