Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-09-2009, 06:34 PM   #1
purl4peace
Mommy of Many Interests
purl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX, Sony PRS-505, Cybook Gen3
MSNBC Hates the Nook ... and ebook readers in general

If this has already been posted, I apologize -- I didn't see it on the front page.

Yet another poor review of the nook ... and ebook readers in general (why don't they have color screens, back light, yadda yadda yadda)... however, the criticism of the nook was particularly scathing.

MSNBC nook Review

He concludes:

Quote:
The Barnes & Noble application for the iPhone is excellent, and I far prefer it to the Nook. It's free, too. A lot of people say they don't like reading books on an LCD screen, but many of them might change their minds if they turned down the brightness of the backlight.

There are also "tablet" style computers and media players with screens larger than the iPhone. So far, none of them have been great e-book reading devices, but I think we'll see some next year. They might be more expensive than the current crop of e-book readers, but they also will be far more capable and user-friendly. In any case, the e-ink madness needs to stop.
I realize he isn't the eReader target demo but this can't bode well for the nook...
purl4peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:35 PM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
nah! I think that kind of commentary goes the way of the dodo bird
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2009, 06:37 PM   #3
Not_A_Crook
Which way is up?
Not_A_Crook has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nook, Alphasmart Neo (word processor, Viable document reader.)
"Dedicated Devices, Primary Function E-readers to be removed off of the metaphorical dictionary".
Not_A_Crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:38 PM   #4
purl4peace
Mommy of Many Interests
purl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX, Sony PRS-505, Cybook Gen3
I sure hope so... I want to shake columnists every time I read something about "I can read books on my iPhone just fine"... Get over the iPhone already -- I choose to read on something that supports more than 3 lines of text at a time and needs to be charged every 2 hours...
purl4peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:44 PM   #5
Not_A_Crook
Which way is up?
Not_A_Crook has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nook, Alphasmart Neo (word processor, Viable document reader.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by purl4peace View Post
I sure hope so... I want to shake columnists every time I read something about "I can read books on my iPhone just fine"... Get over the iPhone already -- I choose to read on something that supports more than 3 lines of text at a time and needs to be charged every 2 hours...
"By most popular" logic is the issue with people today, so-and-so device is more successful then other devices, or I can do this better on portable/non-portable systems.

Acting like there is no good alternative, or just no other toy exists is too redundant...
Not_A_Crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2009, 08:07 PM   #6
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
It'll be great when we have Mirasol and Liquavista and others producing faster, better, and possibly color e-paper displays, and Pixel Qi for advanced transflective LCD applications. If e-ink somehow manages to produce something of quality, that'll be cool too.

The MSNBC article is of limited value, but it's a useful commentary about current generation e-paper. At least they didn't mention an Apple tablet by name.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:21 PM   #7
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
For reading, e-ink rules! Methinks Mr. Svensson doesn't get it.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 12-10-2009 at 06:02 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:25 AM   #8
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
He should have started with with saying: I don't like the entire e-ink technology. He could have then gone on to review the device and not blame every fault of the device on his dislike of the e-ink technology...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:33 AM   #9
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
The gentleman is obviously a fan of converged devices so of course he doesn't like the eInk readers.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:53 AM   #10
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Why? While I really like the e-Ink technology I think what the author said about it if fair. In some areas eInk is much better than backlit technologies in some areas if falls short. Refresh rate and backlighting are some. Personally I feel the refresh rate is the most limitting.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:16 AM   #11
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
I dont think it was *that* bad of a review, or rather it was a bad review but I dont think he was too biased. Most of it sounded fair, if slighlty slanted, and a bit sarcastic at times. e.g. "would degrade its precious readability, apparently".

I definitely have the impression he is not the target audience, he is more likely the guy that raised his hand when the editor asked "Who wants to review this new book reader thing?"

KK is mostly right, this type of review will fade away and be replaced, hopefully, with more educated, less biased ones in the future. However, there will always be someone out there that talks out of their posterior when they should probably just shut up. And there will also always be people that legitimately have a difference in opinion, it should be up to us to educate them - or at least try.

I think I'll send him a link to this thread....
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:26 AM   #12
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
I think I'll send him a link to this thread....
Don't bother. I think he's copping enough flak on MSNBC's own article discussion forum.

Another thing - I don't the review is the worst thing about this article. It's the reviewer who takes that particular cake.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:36 AM   #13
kwjones
Groupie
kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony PRS-505; Motorola Droid
That's OK, Kat Hannaford at Gizmodo hates e-books in general...
http://gizmodo.com/5423233/why-i-hat...the-mainstream

Quote:
That's the crux of my argument. Any company that attempts to own market share in that area is fighting a losing battle. Consumers won't buy an electronic book when they can get a paperback for the same price or even less, and when they can lend it to friends, read it in the bathtub or even sell it on and make a percentage of their money back.
I don't understand the fascination of reading in the bathtub, but whatever floats your boat.
kwjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:40 AM   #14
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwjones View Post
That's OK, Kat Hannaford at Gizmodo hates e-books in general...
What is interesting is both authors are hedging their bets for a true converged device.

edit: and my wife would kill for a way to use her iPhone in the bath, for reading and watching movies. We'd go the ziploc bag route that others have mentioned on this board, but it just seems too risky Definitely considering the waterproof cases though.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:46 AM   #15
kwjones
Groupie
kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony PRS-505; Motorola Droid
I liked this comment in the article....
Quote:
I find it funny that people will gladly archive their video and pictures on a computer and display them from there, yet find it "taboo" or "not needed" for books.
kwjones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nook review