Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-30-2009, 05:40 PM   #1
christopher247
christopher247 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Newspapers

Hiya

I am currently trying out a Kindle which I like, especially being able to read the newspaper on it on my daily commute.

I do favour the Sony 300 as a prospective purchase though, based on price mainly. However, the lack of newspaper availability (well I can't find any) is something holding me back.

Are there any plans to offer newspapers (I read The Independent usually) on Sony or other non-Kindle readers?

Thanks

Chris
christopher247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 06:09 PM   #2
MSJim
Bookworm
MSJim began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600, Nook STR
Check out Calibre. It has recipes to download quite a few newspapers. I don't know what part of the world you live in, and I'm not familiar with the Independent.

I checked the list of papers that Calibre is already set up for, and did not see your paper, but I believe you can create a script for your preferred paper.

The only downside to the currently offered Sony Readers vs. the Kindle, is that you would have to download the paper to a PC and then transfer it to your Sony Reader each day. The Kindle has a built in broadband modem that enables it to bypass the PC and download the daily paper directly to the device. The Sony Daily Edition, due to be released sometime soon - maybe by the end of this this year - will also have wireless capability.
MSJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2009, 09:45 PM   #3
bookwormfjl
Book Junkie
bookwormfjl has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-505; Cybook Gen 3; Kindle 1; Kindle 2; Kindle DX; Nook
The Sony reader (Daily Edition) coming out in December is supposed to offer newspaper subscriptions.
bookwormfjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 04:40 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwormfjl View Post
The Sony reader (Daily Edition) coming out in December is supposed to offer newspaper subscriptions.
But only in the US.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote