Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-24-2009, 04:49 AM   #1
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Ereader espionage!

Finally made it down to my local Fry's to check out the new fangled Sony Readers all the kids are talking about. They had a feces load of 505's and several 300's but no 600's which was the model I was most interested in seeing.

The only displays they had Sony-wise was also the 505 and 300. I decided to check out the 300 display to discern the crispness of it's unfettered non touch screen, but was foiled in the attempt.

Some Joker had entered a "device lock" code on the 300, so all I could see was the screen asking me to enter the code, and the display telling me I had failed in reading the mind of the industrial terrorist who had coded the device!

I admit some small admiration for the ingenuity of the cretin who had obviously sabotaged the display (I would never have thought of code locking a display.. perhaps I am not evil enough... must work on that)

Kudos and Damn-You goes out to the Astak or Jetbook spy who carried out the scheme. Very clever.

Sony would be wise to disable such capability in display models. It is a dog eat dog ebook world out there.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 05:07 AM   #2
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Oy vey... Another bit of worthless pond scum did the exact same thing with the PRS-505 display at our local Walmart.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2009, 02:56 AM   #3
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
Oy vey... Another bit of worthless pond scum did the exact same thing with the PRS-505 display at our local Walmart.
It's kind of astounding, The saboteurs had to be knowledgeable of the Sony UI, and used that information to screw everyone else that wanted to try it out.

Probably the same kind of person who would ... <insert your own horrible person analogy here>
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:46 AM   #4
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Luddites !
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 12:09 PM   #5
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Some Joker had entered a "device lock" code on the 300, so all I could see was the screen asking me to enter the code, and the display telling me I had failed in reading the mind of the industrial terrorist who had coded the device!

I admit some small admiration for the ingenuity of the cretin who had obviously sabotaged the display (I would never have thought of code locking a display.. perhaps I am not evil enough... must work on that)
I saw the exact thing this morning when I picked up an external HD. Although in that case I know who's the culprit- the store clerk himself :P and it was against an iLiad iRex. Maybe he's paid by Bookeen? (It would explain the sudden presence of Cybook and Opus on catalogue for that particular boutique.)
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2009, 07:16 PM   #6
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
"Probably the same kind of person who would ... kick a puppy!"
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 02:59 AM   #7
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
"Probably the same kind of person who would ... kick a puppy!"
I sooo wanted to play with the iLiad before it went out of sale. They had/have a last one in their internet catalogue and then hop. It's gone!
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:16 PM   #8
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
tsk3. it's sad to know these things happen.

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote