Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 01-26-2009, 11:21 AM   #1
yogi4675
yogi4675 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Can Canadians easily purchase ebooks?

Hi,
This is my first post to Mobileread and I am hoping that somebody knows the answer to my question.
I'm thinking of buying the Sony PRS-505 for my boyfriend (as a birthday gift), but just read somewhere that "the Sony Store won't download a book to a credit card with a Canadian address." Is this true?
I'm also concerned that being a Canadian, I will not only be able to purchase books easily from the sony store, but from other websites too.
Any suggestions...or websites for us Canadians to easily download books with a credit card, using a canadian address?
...on top of that, I heard that there are a lot of spelling mistakes with the ebooks sold at the Sony Store - is that still the case, or has this been corrected.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
yogi4675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:26 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome, Yogi!

I'm sure you'll find the help you need here.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2009, 11:31 AM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I thought Sony has an ebookstore for Canada. Read this article:
http://www.sony.ca/view/press_514.htm
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:31 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi yogi4675 and welcome to the Forum. Looks like lilac_jive answered your question.

Meanwhile, Your boyfriend will love you for getting him a Sony 505; at least if he's an incurable bookworm like the rest of us here.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:36 PM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Let me update- you can use their canada store with a Canada credit card, but then you will be forever branded a Canadian. This is important, because they have less of a selection than the US store. Doesn't look too much off though. Here's the link to their bestseller list:
http://ebookstore.sony.com/bestselle...k-store-canada
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2009, 05:07 PM   #6
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Hi Yogi, being a Canadian myself there are lots of places to buy books for your Sony PRS505.

We all go to the same Sony Store, it's just that some of the books listed say "US Only", and those we can't buy because the publishing rights haven't been obtained in Canada yet.

I place some of these books on my wish list, hoping in the future that they will be available in Canada.

Remember also, that the books are listed in US dollars, and your credit card will automatically adjust to the exchange rate at the time the transaction is posted.

I, myself, haven't noticed more spelling mistakes on books purchased on the Sony site than on any other.

Any eBook site that I have gone to will accept a Canadian Credit Card.

Other than online eBook stores there are also a large number of books available for download at MobileRead and you may be able to borrow eBooks from your local library if it is set up for eBook lending. We have a provincial lending library in BC and I just use my local library card number to download a book. I then have 3 weeks to read it before it gets locked.

Please ask any more questions if you have them.

Great present by the way, hope he enjoys it.

WDE.

Last edited by Wetdogeared; 01-26-2009 at 10:19 PM.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote