Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-03-2008, 09:37 PM   #1
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Chip-in to add PRS 700 support to calibre

In order to add support fot the PRS 700 to calibre, I'm going to need one. So if you need this feature, chipin to get me a PRS 700:

prs700-support-for-calibre
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:26 PM   #2
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-505
Oops, just donated last night. Had I known it, I would've waited for this drive.

However I don't plan to get a PRS700. The economy is crunching and I have to refrain from new gizmos.
lovebeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2008, 12:38 PM   #3
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Done.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 04:11 PM   #4
ddavtian
Addict
ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sage, Elipsa, Oasis, Galaxy Tab 8U, S22U
Added my small contribution.
ddavtian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:33 AM   #5
Mitchll
Cave Dweller
Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Ipad Sony reader prs-505 prs-900
A chip from me. Thanks
Mitchll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2008, 04:29 PM   #6
mobelby
Zealot
mobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't litter

Device: eeepc 901
Added a few Aussie dollars
mobelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:35 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

We seem to be going great guns, thank you all. At this rate calibre should get PRS700 support by December
Old 11-06-2008, 10:47 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Of course, for all we know, support for the 700 is the same as it is for the 505.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:56 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Of course, for all we know, support for the 700 is the same as it is for the 505.
Agreed. Perhaps someone will plug in the 700, and calibre will work perfectly with it. Not that I begrudge Kovid a new device bought by donation. I thank Kovid for calibre and also all whom have donate to the furthering of this great software.

If we buy you a Kindle will you add support for that too?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 01:50 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

There wont be plug and play, at the very least I have to add the USB device id for the 700 to calibre. The point is I'm reluctant to add support to calibre for a device I don't posses, because then in case of problems, debugging becomes a night mare.

As for the Kindle, adding support for the device itself is easy and I'd be happy to do that if I had a Kindle (in fact calibre already has a driver for the Kindle written by a user a while ago). The preoblem is adding mobi output support to calibre. That is quite a chore.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:10 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
As for the Kindle, adding support for the device itself is easy and I'd be happy to do that if I had a Kindle (in fact calibre already has a driver for the Kindle written by a user a while ago). The preoblem is adding mobi output support to calibre. That is quite a chore.
Can you not leverage the mobiperl stuff to do this? Perhaps someone has the chops to convert the perl stuff to python. But, just including the perl stuff and using it should be pretty simple. Or not?

BOb
Old 11-07-2008, 02:27 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Nah, I'm not embedding a perl interpreter into calibre, if someone ports it to python, I'll be happy to include it in calibre
Old 11-07-2008, 04:59 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Nah, I'm not embedding a perl interpreter into calibre, if someone ports it to python, I'll be happy to include it in calibre
For Windows you can use the .exe versions that are already good to go. On Mac/Lunux aren't you expecting Python to be already there... or is python embedded in the app somehow?

Or, just tell the users if they drop the perl scripts into the folder those features light up. That's what open source is all about, leveraging other open source protects.

BOb
Old 11-07-2008, 05:27 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

calibre embeds a python interpreter. And it uses code from over 20 different open source projects But embedding another interpreter is too much overhead.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:25 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
calibre embeds a python interpreter. And it uses code from over 20 different open source projects But embedding another interpreter is too much overhead.
Agreed which is why I say don't embedded it. Just require it as a dependency for certain features. If you do a Linux package you can just make the perl and python interpreters dependencies. I use aptitude for everything on my debian server and it installs all the dependencies nice and neat.

BOb