Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-11-2016, 01:52 PM   #151
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But isn't that because of being able to install the Overdrive app?
No, it's because of being able to download ACSM files via the reader's web browser. Once you have the ACSM file, whether it becomes from a library site or a bookstore, the ADE software on the device can process it in the same way that desktop ADE does and download the ePub book. This means that you can download books from any store or library which has a web interface that serves up ACSM files. And this was back in 2010.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 06:29 PM   #152
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
You guys are waaaaaayyyyyyy too late.

Kobo already had a fish based release.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2016, 08:00 PM   #153
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
You guys are waaaaaayyyyyyy too late.

Kobo already had a fish based release.
You've got me. I remember lots of hockey references, but I don't remember a fish.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:40 AM   #154
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
You've got me. I remember lots of hockey references, but I don't remember a fish.
Firmware releases:
  • 1.9.16 was Bowfin
  • 1.9.17b was Cod
  • 2.0.0c was Devario
  • 2.0.2 was Eel
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 02:33 AM   #155
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
My vote for the name of the Overdrive enabling firmware is "You ain't seen nothing yet", as in Bachman-Turner Overdrive :-)
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2016, 02:02 PM   #156
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
My vote for the name of the Overdrive enabling firmware is "You ain't seen nothing yet", as in Bachman-Turner Overdrive :-)
I like that one. It fits rather well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 02:41 PM   #157
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
The Mother's Day meme lives on.
https://goodereader.com/blog/electro...iobook-support
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 07:24 AM   #158
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I am surprised that Kobo hasn't had audiobook support yet. But saying it's coming for Mothers Day?! Pfft!
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:05 PM   #159
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
I am surprised that Kobo hasn't had audiobook support yet. But saying it's coming for Mothers Day?! Pfft!
I'm not.

Amazon supports audiobooks because they saw how the two could be integrated. In fact, the very first Kindle played Audible audiobooks (that's how far back Amazon was planning this).

Kobo, on the other hand, supports audiobooks out of a "checkbox" motivation. It's not a feature they planned to include in their platform but they had to add because it is expected.

I don't expect them to ever add audiobooks to their ereaders.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 02:36 PM   #160
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
I don't understand the desire to control audiobooks from an e-ink device. The key feature of an e-ink reader is the screen. What do audiobooks gain from an e-ink screen?

The number of readers who own an e-ink device but don't own a phone, tablet or computer must be vanishingly small to non-existent.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 06:13 PM   #161
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I don't understand the desire to control audiobooks from an e-ink device. The key feature of an e-ink reader is the screen. What do audiobooks gain from an e-ink screen?

The number of readers who own an e-ink device but don't own a phone, tablet or computer must be vanishingly small to non-existent.
I agree. I hope Kobo spend zero develop cost/time on this. There is nothing they could do that would make using an eink device better than using a smartphone.

Whether you want to listen to audiobooks purchased via paid subscription, or as simple sideloaded MP3s or using text-to-speech in an Android epub reading app, the smartphone will win every time (although I must confess to only having experience of the last two of these).
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 06:49 PM   #162
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Add me the chorus of "why?" and "please don't" voices. The only situation in which I can see a use for it is immersive reading, but my understanding is that even Kindle doesn't support that on its e-ink audiobook-capable readers. Which makes the whole thing moot/pointless in my opinion. I'd rather have audiobook functionality on the dsesktop apps, so that I can listen along to the Italian books I have while I try to read them. On my e-ink reader.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:12 PM   #163
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
I'd rather have audiobook functionality on the dsesktop apps, so that I can listen along to the Italian books I have while I try to read them. On my e-ink reader.
You can probably already do that for free if you're a Windows 10 user. I think all you'd need to do is download/install the Win10 Italian language pack. Then open your epub in MS Edge and select 'Read Aloud'.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:17 PM   #164
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
You can probably already do that for free if you're a Windows 10 user. I think all you'd need to do is download/install the Win10 Italian language pack. Then open your epub in MS Edge and select 'Read Aloud'.
Yes, that would work, but text-to-speech doesn't work as well as human narration. I've done this occasionally with Hindi, read along while listening to TTS, and find the machine's pausing and intonation off-putting. And since aural aesthetics are the reason I love Italian, I'm not going to butcher it that way.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:24 PM   #165
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
Yes, that would work, but text-to-speech doesn't work as well as human narration. I've done this occasionally with Hindi, read along while listening to TTS, and find the machine's pausing and intonation off-putting. And since aural aesthetics are the reason I love Italian, I'm not going to butcher it that way.
Well no, "you gets what you pays for", I suppose . Is the Windows Italian voice poor? I've only listened to the English voices which have improved greatly since Windows 7. However I do also own some paid-for voices which are even better - still not BBC standard, but I've trained myself to be able to enjoy TTS well enough over time.