Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-01-2015, 12:19 PM   #1
Readirect
Zealot
Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: KPW1
Help: Disable Indexing Kindle Voyage 5.65

For my use, the Kindle "feature" of indexing every damned word in every damned book on my device is -- to put it bluntly -- stupid. Especially when the Voyage simply refuses to index the book ... lots and lots of books. This is no matter what I try, from deleting the index to deleting the book and re-transferring it to changing the format to deleting the metadata.

There *used* to be an easy method on my older Kindles, using debug, to disable indexing using the commands in the search box

;debugOn
~disableIndexing
;debugOff

This doesn't seem to work any longer on my Voyage with fw 5.65. Has anyone gotten this to work?
Readirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 01:58 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I thought that was
Code:
;di
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2015, 05:23 PM   #3
Readirect
Zealot
Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I thought that was
Code:
;di
doesn't seem to work, either. I guess the ability to disable indexing is yet another Amazon upgrade designed to reduce user enjoyment of their product.
Old 11-02-2015, 06:20 PM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readirect View Post
doesn't seem to work, either. I guess the ability to disable indexing is yet another Amazon upgrade designed to reduce user enjoyment of their product.
Most users would have no idea about disabling indexing.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:02 PM   #5
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Most users would have no idea about disabling indexing.
And beyond that, I'd never do it. Being able to look up a word or character is something I find very helpful at times.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2015, 07:06 PM   #6
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
One user doesn't like it, therefore it's a problem. Makes sense to me
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:05 PM   #7
hfpop
Addict
hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: N/A
Mount your Kindle Voyage as USB unit on your PC/laptop. Go to the system folder. Remove the Search Indexes folder. Create instead a file with the same name (Search Indexes) and absolutely no extension. Unmount and reboot the Kindle. That's it.
hfpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:11 PM   #8
Readirect
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfpop View Post
Mount your Kindle Voyage as USB unit on your PC/laptop. Go to the system folder. Remove the Search Indexes folder. Create instead a file with the same name (Search Indexes) and absolutely no extension. Unmount and reboot the Kindle. That's it.
Thanks!