Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 05-18-2015, 06:12 PM   #16
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
A few questions about the E930:

1: How easy is it to load ebooks to it and is it supported by Calibre?

2. Does it fully support epub?

3. The link posted earlier in this thread leads to a page with ereaders branded as Hanwang (HW) E930. Is this the same thing as Hanvon E930?

4. What is the build quality, compared to something like the Kindle, or Onyx and what is general software reliability, for the English version? Do you get Chinese residual menus in the English version?

Thanks!

Last edited by Sonist; 05-18-2015 at 06:17 PM.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 03:21 PM   #17
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Jmirko!

Quote:
Calibre: please specify what you mean, I am willing to test it for you.
I love Calibre for managing my library, you can download from here:

http://calibre-ebook.com

2. I am willing to test this for you. Please send me a sample file and a list of what to test (expected behavior).

Here are a bunch of standardized samples of EPUBs utilizing various functions:

http://idpf.github.io/epub3-samples/samples.html

I am mostly thinking of the basics, such as links and indexes working, text reflowing correctly, etc..

Also, is the built in English dictionary usable, or replaceable?

Thanks!
Advert
Old 05-29-2015, 03:48 AM   #18
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
1. Calibre: I know it but I only use it to convert ebooks, not for managing my library, so I don't know what you mean exactly. As you know, the E930 is not specifically listed as one of the devices in Calibre. However, since both the device memory and the SD card are accessible under Windows, I assume you can create your Calibre folder on your E930. I think that's what you mean by "managing your library".

2. Epub support: I only had time to test the first epub (Accessible epub3) from the site you linked. I opened them in Calibre and also on the E930, and compared the results. My findings:
- Calibre shows 205 pages, E930 shows 254. I suspect this is due to different font sizes. Interestingly though, the E930 skips page numbers as you advance through the book - the text is continuous though, so no pages are actually skipped.
- Links cannot be opened on the E930, either external or interal (TOC links).
- Dictionary is not supported. There is a built-in dictionary, but it is a stand-alone application
- Text search is conspicuous by its absence
- Text reflow seems to be fine
- What you can do from the menu:
- Jump to any page in the book
- Change the font (8 options)*
- Change the line spacing (9 options)*
- Change the margin size (3 options)*
- Change the frequency of full page refresh (6 options from 1 to 10 pages)
- Change the orientation (Vertical/Horizontal)
- Add bookmarks
- List bookmarks, go to a bookmark.
*There is an instant preview for these settings.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other (specific) questions.
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 03:56 PM   #19
Sonist
Apeist

Thanks, Jmirko!

On epubs, it sounds like it does most of what one can expect from an ereader.

I was wondering if Calibre recognizes the E90, if it can recognize which titles are on the device and match them to the titles in your Calibre library (so that you can sync titles between the two) and if you can upload a title to the E90 though Calibre.

The lack of inline dictionary is a big bummer, though