Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-09-2014, 07:06 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Firefox 33.0.3 very slow?

Firefox updated itself to v33.0.3 a couple of day ago on my Windows 7 PC, and the new version seems very slow. In particular, when typing in text (as I'm doing now), there's a noticeable lag between pressing the key on the keyboard and the text appearing on the screen. Anyone else seeing the same thing?

This is the first version of FF that I've ever had this problem with. Hopefully the next update will fix it again!

The only plug-in I've got running is the spell-checker, and disabling that makes no difference.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:33 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmmm. I see it's listed as a known bug:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo.../releasenotes/

Quote:
Windows: Interface may be slow when typing or selecting text (1089183)
The workaround is listed as "Disable OMTC", but without any instructions on how to do this. A Google search has been unhelpful. Anyone know how to disable OMTC?
Advert
Old 11-09-2014, 07:41 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You can disable OMTC by going to about:config (in Firefox ad searching for offmainthreadcomposition. Then you can disable it from there.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:46 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thanks, Jon - I was just coming back to say that I'd discovered that! Setting "layers.offmainthreadcomposition.enabled" to "false" and restarting FF does indeed fix the problem .

The bug is apparently related to the hardware acceleration in certain video drivers.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:02 PM   #5
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
I haven't had the problems that Harry described with v33.0.3, but I did have those same problems with either the last version or the one prior to that.

This version works fine for me.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2014, 04:24 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
I haven't had the problems that Harry described with v33.0.3, but I did have those same problems with either the last version or the one prior to that.

This version works fine for me.
Looking at the commentary on the bug, it's been fixed for some video drivers, but not for others. My rather elderly laptop has an ATI Radeon chipset, which is one of the ones that appears still to have problems.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:17 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

This is starting to get annoying.

Now, in FF33.1, when I go into the "Advanced" editor here at MR, the entire editing panel blacks out, and then goes back to normal a few seconds later, only to black out again when I scroll the contents. FF seems to have messed up their video code big-time - perhaps it's time to move to Chrome?

EDIT: Not only MR, it's doing the same thing in Gmail's editor, too.

Last edited by HarryT; 11-12-2014 at 06:23 AM.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:22 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

FF has just updated to FF34, and I'm happy to find that finally the video problems I was experiencing (the text editor window going black for several seconds when it scrolled) have been fixed.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:03 PM   #9
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Sheesh.. Am I the only one who thinks Mozilla went a little nuts with the version numbers?
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 07:55 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
Sheesh.. Am I the only one who thinks Mozilla went a little nuts with the version numbers?
Apparently it is "in" now to have wildly incrementing version numbers... think back to when it could be years before a major release. In anything.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote