Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-14-2010, 09:38 PM   #1
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Kobo Cover Review

Luke Klein Nijenhuis of electronicreading.eu kindly sent me a Kobo cover to review.

The cover as supplied for review is made from a soft leather on the exterior with a soft velvet interior. There are a couple of internal pockets inside the front flap for storage as required. The Kobo ereader is attached to the back flap of the cover by diagonal corner elastic strapping. The strapping is quite sturdy and as shown secures the Kobo tightly to the cover very well indeed and do not interfer with any of the buttons. Though the SD card slot is covered by a corner strap, this would normally not be a issue.

As shown in the images, the cover is slightly larger than the Kobo which may mean other 6" ereaders would be able to be fitted to the cover. There is an odd slot cut into the cover at the back behind where the SD card slot of the Kobo is situated, but Luke has informed me that the slot will not be present in a newer version of the cover being currently designed.

Initially, I was a little concerned about the larger cover size in relation to the attached Kobo, but after using my Kobo with the cover for a few days, my concerns have gone.

As such I can recommend the cover to Kobo owners. Even to date, there are not a lot of covers available for the Kobo ereader and this product from electronicreading.eu, priced at 17.50 euros is more than welcome.

The leather cover is available in six colours.

http://www.electronicreading.eu/prot...ml?language=en
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:50 PM   #2
mamasue
Zealot
mamasue began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
sabredog ... is it possible that, over time, the pockets (extra thicknesses) and the stitching could erode the screen of the Kobo?

in much the same way as a clam phone does? kwim?
mamasue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2010, 10:01 PM   #3
sabredog
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not at all really, the bezel of the Kobo being slightly proud of the screen, protects it.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:37 PM   #4
Achan
Recently Kobofied
Achan has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo wifi
Hi Sabredog, How tight are the big straps that wrap around the bottom corners? Any chance they're strain the Kobo or detach/loosen? And is the front cover flexible or stiff (i.e., if i held it like a book with thumb on middle of front cover and rest on middle of back cover, will it be pressing on the screen)? Thanks!
Achan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:56 PM   #5
sabredog

No to both questions. The elastic straps hold the Kobo firmly to the back part of the cover which is fairly stiff. As the front cover is equally stiff it would need a very firm grip to damage the Kobo within.

Most covers have a similar system of attachment points and I have not yet read that the elastic straps loosen over time to cause the ereader to fall out.
Advert
Old 10-17-2010, 06:07 AM   #6
Klein Nijenhuis
Zealot
Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Onyx Boox
And there is a warranty of an half year on the materials of the cover.
Klein Nijenhuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:53 PM   #7
sabredog

updated link

http://www.geckocovers.com/kobo-c-9.html
Old 03-20-2011, 04:15 AM   #8
m_bisson
Groupie
m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.

Device: kobo touch :)
Looks the same as the one available already. Too loose fitting to keep the kobo from falling out. And it defeats the purpose of owning a kobo I don't WANT to have to carry something bulky around with me. Where will I put this now? My man-purse?
m_bisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:20 AM   #9
Mathom
Mathom began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo original
I take my Kobo everywhere - just throw it in my backpack when cycling or tramping pack when going into the hills. I wanted something with rigid protection but couldn't find anything (might be something now though).

Ended up making my own out of a DVD case. Took a bit of work and several trys to get it right. Used a craft knife to cut out the extra bits plus a space for the pad button. Added an extra DVD case piece to strengthen the side that held the actual DVD which I'd cut out. Also added a piece of felt inside to the screen-side of the case with double-sided tape. Finished it off by printing a DVD cover sheet - with pictures of lots of books on it (also hides all the cutting I'd done).

DVD case is perfect size and they have a snaplock type closer. works a treat.
Mathom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, kobo, review