Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-14-2014, 12:50 PM   #1186
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@ixtab: Ha, I was actually going to do that in the next couple of hours, so, well, thanks ;P.

I'll take a look at the awk issue (FWIW, running gawk 4.1.0 here).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 01:22 PM   #1187
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@ixtab: Pushed something, could you check if that fixes it on your system?

(I'm guessing awk is mawk or some other weird awk implementation on your system, and not GNU awk).
Old 02-14-2014, 07:03 PM   #1188
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@ixtab: Pushed something, could you check if that fixes it on your system?

(I'm guessing awk is mawk or some other weird awk implementation on your system, and not GNU awk).
Hmm. Thanks, but it still doesn't seem to fix the problem.

Because I don't even know where the problem even comes from, there's a new branch which contains the problematic files. Essentially, in src/com/mobileread/ixtab/kindlelauncher/resources:

parse-commented.awk is the input file.
parse.awk should be the output file.
parse.awk.ok is a sample of a working output file
parse.awk.produced is the output file.

The problem is mostly: why does my computer not produce anything reasonable, while others do? I honestly don't know, and I need your help.

PS:
Code:
ixtab@mbp:~$ awk --version|head -n 1
GNU Awk 3.1.8
Too old?
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:11 PM   #1189
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@ixtab: Oh, wow. .

I'll see if I can dig up an old gawk build from Debian, see if that's the culprit... .

EDIT: Yup, reproduced with gawk 3.1.7 from Debian oldstable.

I'll see how mawk fares, and if I can figure out a way to make this play nice with gawk 3.1... .

EDIT²: Yup, behavior changes between gawk 3 & gawk 4 to be expected. So, err, yeah, not sure it's fixable nicely, and awk gives me headaches, so... ;p.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 02-14-2014 at 07:33 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:27 AM   #1190
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Nope, mawk falls on its ass too.

I added a version check to the wrapper, so at last it dies and halts the build instead of bundling a broken script...

gawk-4.0.1 (from Debian stable) handles it properly, so I just check gawk < 4
Old 02-18-2014, 07:53 PM   #1191
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Nope, mawk falls on its ass too.
[...]
Thanks a lot for the investigation and the insights!

But,... how do we go on now? Because the MKK is now released with its new name, it makes sense for KUAL to refer to it as such (if only to avoid confusion). Thus, I think that we should release a new KUAL version, probably v 2.3.0. But at least all of the devs involved should be able to compile a working version of it. (I don't know for the others, but at least I can't with my Ubuntu 12.04 LTS -- and hey, I already upgraded from 10.04 LTS!)

So... Is there any (more or less easy) way to change the awk script so that it will also work with GNU awk 3.x? I apologize in advance for the headaches, but that would be terrific.*

(*) as a side note: I tend to keep my "main dev computer" on a well-tested and stable release. That is why I'm still on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (and had even been on 10.04 LTS until recently). I'm not at all opposed to testing newer stuff (in fact, my new laptop only works on debian/jessie), but I think that we should try to stick to a reasonable "lowest common denominator" when developing, instead of assuming that everyone has the latest and greatest version of all tools...
Old 02-18-2014, 10:25 PM   #1192
NiLuJe
BLAM!

I'll see if I can figure something out without making my brain implode ;o).

EDIT: Got something that's mostly okay w/ whatever flavour of awk is on OSX. Still not perfect, but hopefully that'll be enough for gawk 3, will check tomorrow.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 02-19-2014 at 10:19 AM.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:24 AM   #1193
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Yup, should be okay now !
Old 02-19-2014, 11:41 AM   #1194
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
Heh, there's no such thing as \s in POSIX...
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:28 PM   #1195
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Released v2.3 \o/.

I also updated the Helper extension to be slightly smarter (ie. mostly model-aware), and stepk's KUAL add-ons one to work in tandem with the latest version on the sorting buttons front ;p.

See the NEWS file for more details, but basically:

* PW2 support
* Cleans itself up on exit
* Minor under-the-hood changes (cleanup/refactoring/fixes/performance)

Also: the filename changed! Pay attention to that . Delete the previous version (preferably from the Kindle's UI, if you don't want a broken thumbnail on FW 5.x) before copying the new one .

The first post should have been updated to reflect these changes, but if something doesn't make sense, do mention it .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 02-19-2014 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:50 PM   #1196
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
(Disregard the GPG portion of the first-post, I don't use GPG, so I don't have the setup to actually sign stuff properly, and I'm not terribly inclined to set it up).
delete the gpg stuff if you like.
the server for those files has been off-line for months now, due to lack of interest (both that of people to use it, and myself to maintain it).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:50 PM   #1197
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@knc1: Gotcha. The files being down is a pretty good reason to forget about it, indeed .
Old 02-21-2014, 02:55 PM   #1198
willwac
willwac began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4NT (Black)
I installed MK and upgraded KUAL, but my device needs new firmware. I'm running on a Kindle 4B
willwac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:22 PM   #1199
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Released v2.3 \o/.
Thanks mate, you rock!
Old 02-22-2014, 10:47 AM   #1200
kmcbest
kmcbest began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Hello, I've got a Kindle 4 Black and I'm not stuck at the "this device is not authorized as a test Kindle ... " error.
I've searched this thread and see that I'm supposed to install the prerequisites package, however, it is now nowhere to be found. This link seems to be broken. Someone mentioned the "developer key" and I'm not sure where to find it either.

This is the first day that I used a Kindle but I really wanted to read DJVU files. So following the Librerator post I've landed on KUAL without success. Can anyone help me? TIA!
kmcbest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch, kindle touch hacks, kindlet, kual, launcher, launcher add-ons, paperwhite, sqlite, unified