Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-06-2012, 10:53 PM   #1
Nicko
Groupie
Nicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Paperwhite3
Kindle for PC - Remove book

How do I remove a book please?. I should just right click on the book and it should bring up a drop-down that allows me to remove book?. Try as I may I can't see how it is done. I somehow have it Archived also. I removed it from Amazon.com ok.
Nicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:33 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
In the Library view, when you right click on an ebook one of the options should be either "Delete this Book" (for non-Amazon ebooks you copied to K4PC yourself) or "Remove from Device" (for Amazon ebooks that are archived on Amazon's servers). If you see "Download" instead, then the ebook is archived on Amazon's servers and not currently on your K4PC.

If you select (highlight) an ebook, these options are also under the File tab.

There is usually no need to delete an ebook from Amazon's servers, it is there if you want to read it again. I don't know what happens in K4PC if you do delete it from the server. This might be why you have no delete/remove option. You should at least see other options under a right click, e.g. various "Go to" options.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2012, 01:19 AM   #3
Nicko
Groupie
Nicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toys

No. I don't get the option to delete or any other options that will allow this. I think you may be correct, the problem may be due to my deleting it from the server. Thanks for your comments. I guess I could just delete Kindle for PC and start again?. I only have a few books on it a present.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:52 AM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko View Post
I guess I could just delete Kindle for PC and start again?. I only have a few books on it a present.
Before you do that check out your My Kindle Content folder and delete all unwanted items.
(You can access it by double-clicking your My Documents icon on the desktop or in the Explorer.)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:49 PM   #5
Nicko
Groupie

I have still not been able to delete a book from Kindle for Desktop. It appears that there is no way of doing this. It can be deleted from the Amazon Server ok. The Amazon site is of no help, unless I am missing something?.
Advert
Old 02-17-2012, 10:50 PM   #6
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
If you have deleted the ebook from Amazon's servers through your account there, you can make the ebook disappear from Kindle for PC by syncing. This can be done in one of three ways from within the Kindle for PC program:
  • Go to Tools and then select "Sync and Check for New Items" OR
  • Press the F5 key OR
  • Click on the circular arrows just right of the word Library
Note that your computer will need to have an internet connection in order for the program to sync with Amazon's servers. Also, if you delete an ebook from Amazon's servers, it's gone. If you ever want to read it again, you will need to repurchase it.

Did that help?
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:06 PM   #7
Nicko
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
If you have deleted the ebook from Amazon's servers through your account there, you can make the ebook disappear from Kindle for PC by syncing. This can be done in one of three ways from within the Kindle for PC program:
  • Go to Tools and then select "Sync and Check for New Items" OR
  • Press the F5 key OR
  • Click on the circular arrows just right of the word Library
Note that your computer will need to have an internet connection in order for the program to sync with Amazon's servers. Also, if you delete an ebook from Amazon's servers, it's gone. If you ever want to read it again, you will need to repurchase it.

Did that help?
I tried those methods and I still can't delete a book. Perhaps I have a problem with the program. If I right click on book and 'Remove from Device' all that does is to allow it to be further downloaded. There doesn't appear to be any way of deleting it?.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:58 PM   #8
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
If the book is in Archive, you won't be able to delete it from Kindle for PC. You can only permanently delete a book from your Archive by going to the Manage Your Kindle page. Be aware you would have to repurchase it to read it again, though.

If you are looking at "All items", it shows both downloaded and Archived items. I always pick either downloaded or Archived items, so I can keep track of which books are actually downloaded to my pc.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:12 PM   #9
Nicko
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
If the book is in Archive, you won't be able to delete it from Kindle for PC. You can only permanently delete a book from your Archive by going to the Manage Your Kindle page. Be aware you would have to repurchase it to read it again, though.

If you are looking at "All items", it shows both downloaded and Archived items. I always pick either downloaded or Archived items, so I can keep track of which books are actually downloaded to my pc.
The book I want to delete is in "All items". How do I delete it please?.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:45 PM   #10
blue_skies
Evangelist
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue T62+; Boyue Mimas; and my old Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
The book I want to delete is in "All items". How do I delete it please?.
Find the book, and to the right you should see the word "Actions". Choose "Delete from Library". It will warn you that it will be permanently deleted and no longer in the archives and you'll have to confirm that you really do want to permanently delete it.
blue_skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:32 PM   #11
Nicko
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_skies View Post
Find the book, and to the right you should see the word "Actions". Choose "Delete from Library". It will warn you that it will be permanently deleted and no longer in the archives and you'll have to confirm that you really do want to permanently delete it.
No "Actions" on my copy, even with a right click?.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:09 AM   #12
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nicko, I think there's some confusion here. Blue_skies was referring to "Actions" in your Amazon "Manage Your Kindle" account online, not a menu choice within Kindle for PC software.

In your earlier post you said:

Quote:
I removed it from Amazon.com ok.
I assumed that meant that you deleted the ebook from your Amazon account by logging into your account at Amazon.com, clicking on "Manage Your Kindle," and then deleting the book by choosing "delete from library" from the book's "Actions" drop-down menu? Is that what you did? If so, have you double-checked that the ebook was actually deleted there?

I just want to make sure that you know that if you delete the book from your Amazon account that way, the book will be gone permanently; you will have to repurchase if you want to read it again.

Amazon books cannot be deleted directly from the Kindle for PC software. The only way it will be removed from that program is if it's first deleted from your Amazon account ("Manage Your Kindle") as I just described. Once the ebook is permanently removed from your Amazon account, you then sync Kindle for PC as I described in my earlier post; only then will the ebook no longer be listed in K4PC.

Most of us who use Kindle for PC just keep our books either archived at Amazon or downloaded to the computer and don't feel the need to actually permanently delete the book from our Amazon account.

Let us know if you're still unable to figure it out and we'll try to help.

Last edited by DreamWriter; 02-19-2012 at 12:26 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:54 PM   #13
Nicko
Groupie

Quote:
Nicko, I think there's some confusion here. Blue_skies was referring to "Actions" in your Amazon "Manage Your Kindle" account online, not a menu choice within Kindle for PC software.

I assumed that meant that you deleted the ebook from your Amazon account by logging into your account at Amazon.com, clicking on "Manage Your Kindle," and then deleting the book by choosing "delete from library" from the book's "Actions" drop-down menu? Is that what you did? If so, have you double-checked that the ebook was actually deleted there?
Yes. That is how I did it, but when I sync it just remains in the Library. Perhaps there is something amiss with my "Kindle for Desktop" program. It is not that important, but I was curious as to why I couldn't delete books. I should mention that I do not have a Kindle ereader and am just using the Desktop program. I appreciate you endeavouring to help. Thanks.

Last edited by Nicko; 02-19-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:50 PM   #14
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.

When you're in Kindle for PC, on the left, under "Library," you will see three choices: All Items, Downloaded Items, and Archived Items. The ebook will be in either Downloaded Items or Archived Items.

First, click on Downloaded Items and see if the book shows up in the list. If it does, that may be the problem. If it is in the Downloaded Items list, then you need to right-click on the book and select "Remove from Device." Then you need to sync from Kindle for PC.

Let us know if the book is showing in Downloaded Items or Archived Items in the Kindle for PC program.

Also, have you double-checked your online account at Amazon (via the "Manage Your Kindle" web page) to make sure that the ebook has been removed there? I know that you said you have deleted it there, but maybe something went wrong with the deletion process.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:24 AM   #15
Nicko
Groupie

Quote:
When you're in Kindle for PC, on the left, under "Library," you will see three choices: All Items, Downloaded Items, and Archived Items. The ebook will be in either Downloaded Items or Archived Items.

First, click on Downloaded Items and see if the book shows up in the list. If it does, that may be the problem. If it is in the Downloaded Items list, then you need to right-click on the book and select "Remove from Device." Then you need to sync from Kindle for PC.

Let us know if the book is showing in Downloaded Items or Archived Items in the Kindle for PC program.

Also, have you double-checked your online account at Amazon (via the "Manage Your Kindle" web page) to make sure that the ebook has been removed there? I know that you said you have deleted it there, but maybe something went wrong with the deletion process.
It was in the Downloaded Items. I did a right click and "Remove from Device" and that put it into the "Archived" items list. Now how do I remove it from the "Archived" items please?. I have double checked in Amazon and it has been removed there.