Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-08-2012, 05:50 PM   #1
ryanthejuggler
ryanthejuggler began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Writing to SD card?

I'm interested in making the Kobo into a general-purpose tablet. To that end, I'd love to be able to write to the SD card while it's in the device. The way it's mounted in /mnt/sd is read-only, and there were no /dev/sd* that I could find to mount myself (as would exist in any other Linux system). Does anyone have ideas on how to write to the SD from the Kobo?
ryanthejuggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:09 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
What firmware version are you using? Kobo now can write the kepubs to the SD card if the main memory is full. Two directories are created when the card is inserted. I think that was in 2.2.0 or 2.2.1
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:54 PM   #3
ryanthejuggler

I'm running 2.1.5. Maybe I "should" be able to write to it, but I can't... here's what happens:

Code:
[root@(none) /]# echo "the quick brown fox" > /mnt/sd/success.txt
-sh: can't create /mnt/sd/success.txt: Read-only file system
[root@(none) /]# echo "the quick brown fox" > /mnt/onboard/success.txt
Old 12-08-2012, 08:57 PM   #4
ryanthejuggler

Also, no directories are created on the card. Maybe the card isn't formatted properly?
Old 12-08-2012, 11:24 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I can't find it in my notes, but I am pretty sure the directory was added by firmware after 2.1.5.

The Touch can be fussy about SD cards. I have three. Two work fine but the third is completely ignored. This has changed with the firmware as I have seen reports that a card that didn't work with an older firmware does work now.

If the card is working, it will be listed on the "Device information" page of the settings. Plus, if you put a book on the card it will be added to the library.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:29 AM   #6
sven
Enthusiast
sven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

If I have a look to the script you posted here, the SD card seems to be mounted in read-only mode:
Code:
mount -r -t vfat -o shortname=mixed $DEVNAME /mnt/sd
Maybe removing the -r option will help.
sven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:41 AM   #7
ryanthejuggler

Thanks so much! Maybe I shouldn't work on this at 2 AM...