Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-19-2010, 11:52 PM   #1
Katdragon
Connoisseur
Katdragon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo (currently out of commission), Kindle 3
I'm in Aussieland and need some help deciding on an eReader

Hi everyone,
My birthday is coming up soon, and since I'm addicted to reading I thought that I would ask for an eReader as a present. I've had a look through a lot of threads and am now severely confused as to what to get. I'd like to spend under $200 if at all possible. I don't think that a Kindle would be a good idea - especially since it's locked to Amazon. The Kobo has just been released in Australia but I hear that it's relatively fragile.

Seeing as you guys are experts, perhaps you can suggest something to fit the specifications.

1. E Ink - I could read books on my computer but I get a headache looking at an LCD screen.

2. A decent-sized screen (6" is the biggest isn't it?). As long as the reader doesn't go over the size of a paperback book I'll be happy.

3. The ability to read eBook files purchased from a variety of eBook sellers like one of the books from here: http://www.diesel-ebooks.com/cgi-bin...ricia%20Briggs

I'm not sure if the Kobo does this.

4. Preferably he ability to buy one and get support for it in Aussieland

5. Something to protect it (apparently this isn't available for Kobo and people are using DVD covers for it at the moment - although that makes things bulky)

6. Reasonable durability.

Thanks so much!

Kat
Katdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:16 AM   #2
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Hi Kat,

The largest screens you can buy are 9.7" but that is too large.

I can highly recommend the Astak EZRead series of ereaders. They are sold from the US, but they ship and support the device Internationally. I bought last year their 5" Pocket Pro (which sells for $199US + shipping). They have a 6", which I believe is around $235-$255US. Both come with protective leather covers.

Like most ereaders, they support Adobe DRM'd epub and pdf books (which is the most common format for ebooks).

You can checkout the Astak thread here on the forums if you'd like more information on the readers. I highly recommend the device and service, or their website www.astak.com. I am not affiliated with them, just a damn happy customer.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2010, 02:43 AM   #3
Katdragon
Connoisseur

Thanks Solicitous,
I've just looked at the pricing and the 6" it comes to around AU$283 not including shipping, which is a bit out of my price range. I'm leaning towards the Kobo for price right now...

Last edited by Katdragon; 05-20-2010 at 02:46 AM.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:51 AM   #4
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
I saw a thread somewhere touting a Kobo reader at Borders for $199. Ozzie too I think.
here

Last edited by SneakySnake; 05-20-2010 at 02:54 AM.
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 02:53 AM   #5
Katdragon
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
I saw a thread somewhere touting a Kobo reader at Borders for $199. Ozzie too I think.
Yuppers, that was one of the reasons I was considering it .
It is AU$199 at Borders. I wonder if I could get it without shipping....

I guess my next question would be, does it fit my specs? Does anyone here have a Kobo?
Advert
Old 05-20-2010, 04:56 AM   #6
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Kat. There are a whole bunch of members here from Down Under who seem pretty happy with a whole range of readers. There's also a Kobo-dedicated forum to check out impartial reviews. Must admit, if I was in Oz rather than Europe and wasn't entirely happy with my Sony 505, I think Kobo would be top of my list. My tech partner in Canada has checked out several devices first hand and opted for Kobo. Good luck. Neil

PS: Here's the Kobo in Oz thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83927

Last edited by neilmarr; 05-20-2010 at 05:00 AM. Reason: to add ps and link
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:28 AM   #7
Katdragon
Connoisseur

Thanks Neil
I'll go and check it out. The people on the whirlpool forums here in Australia have given it a thumbs up but since it's only been released here in the past few days I'll keep my eyes open.

Have they been in production in the US for long?
Old 05-20-2010, 10:43 AM   #8
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Kobo's pretty much the new kid on the block, Kat. But it's been around just long enough for folks to suss it out. Most reviews I read are positive. Seems it might be a bit 'plasticky' and not have the same heft as some better established devices, but maybe that's a plus. Cheers. Neil
Old 05-20-2010, 08:04 PM   #9
Katdragon
Connoisseur

Thanks Neil,
Most of the reviews that I've read have been positive as well.
Hopefully the Borders in town will have some on display that I can play with. The price is pretty attractive at the moment, so if I like it then it looks like it'll be the one for me.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:48 PM   #10
Chris Crouch
Enthusiast
Chris Crouch began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3 & iPad
As others have said, the Kobo looks like the best match to your requirements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katdragon View Post
3. The ability to read eBook files purchased from a variety of eBook sellers like one of the books from here: http://www.diesel-ebooks.com/cgi-bin...ricia%20Briggs

I'm not sure if the Kobo does this.
Just a quick word about Diesel. They are the worst for seeing if a book has geographical restrictions ie. whether they will sell it to an Australian. Basically the only way to see if a particular books is available to Australia is to add it to your cart and enter the checkout. More often than not you'll get a message saying that the book is restricted and has been removed from you cart. I just tried it for a Patricia Briggs book and it was restricted.

I had a quick browse through some ebook stores and very few of Patricia Brigg's books are available to Australia from any store. If she's an author you particularly want to read you should research what books of hers are available - or find out how to bypass geographical restrictions!
Chris Crouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:20 AM   #11
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
Did you consider PocketBook 301?
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:14 AM   #12
Katdragon
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar-PocketBooker View Post
Did you consider PocketBook 301?
Unfortunately that's WAY out of my price range
Old 05-21-2010, 03:44 AM   #13
neilmarr
neilmarr

By the way, Kat. I had an email overnight from my tech partner, Tony Szmuk in Canada, who decided to buy the Kobo yesterday after checking out a whole bunch of alternatives first hand. He's highly tech and ebook savvy, so that's maybe a good sign for you. Cheers. Neil
Old 05-21-2010, 05:37 AM   #14
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Hi Kat and as an Aussie welcome to Mobileread. I have been pretty active within the Whirlpool thread regarding the Kobo release and though I have yet to have a hands on look, it certainly opens up far more possibilities for Aussie readers looking for a cheaper e-ink device to read ebooks on.

As far as I am aware the only readers easily available to Aussies were the Ecoreader or the iriver ereader (Hardley Normal reckons he is the one stop shop for ebooks...not!). Enter the Kindle2 and the market opens up a bit more. The Kobo is now here (almost $100 cheaper) and already many shops have sold out so it looks like it will be a great seller for Borders.

I would strongly recommend actually going and having a look at one as you decide.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:37 PM   #15
Katdragon
Connoisseur

Hi Sabre!
My brother is currently in the US and said he doesn't mind getting me a higher-priced eReader because I can take that money off the evil postage costs.
I intend to go and look at the Kobo in Borders today (hopefully they have it), but how does it compare to the Nook? My brother (who is better at researching nice techy stuff than I am) has said that it has more features than the Kobo but is locked to American books. Will Calibre (or other programs) be able to get past this?