Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-11-2009, 10:31 PM   #1
palmsolo
palmsolo began at the beginning.

Device: B&N NOOKcolor
Sony Reader purchased content to the nook in couple easy steps

Unlike some of the other mainstream press, my review was mostly positive for the B&N nook because it has an awesome eInk display (rivals the Sony 505) and is an excellent ebook READER. The other parts may not be extremely fast and a bit clunky, but the bottom line is that the reading experience is top rate with the nice navigation buttons on both sides and clear display. A couple people have already posted links to my ZDNet review and video so I won't do that again.

One thing I am VERY happy to report on is that 99% of my purchased Sony Reader content works perfectly on the nook (http://blogs.zdnet.com/mobile-gadgeteer/?p=2246). EPUB is really the new standard format that is rocking the ebook world and I couldn't be happier with my nook purchase.

I am also testing the beta of their LendMe technology and will have a post up on Monday on ZDNet reporting on my experiences with this capability. I will tell you now it is easy and works well.
palmsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:13 PM   #2
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmsolo View Post
Unlike some of the other mainstream press, my review was mostly positive for the B&N nook because it has an awesome eInk display (rivals the Sony 505) and is an excellent ebook READER.
FYI, the display panel is identical to the Kindle 2. So they are the same, and people actually complain about the light text on the K2 (I love mine, personally). Neither the Kindle 2 or presumably the nook have the quality of the Sony 505.
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2009, 01:41 AM   #3
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
I have both 505 and the nook, can't say I notice any quality issues with the nook panel.
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 01:55 AM   #4
lisreed
Addict
lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook GlowLight 3
I too find the display excellent. I have had a 505 & a Kindle 2 and the reading quality is equal to the 505 because the fonts & darkness of the fonts. The kindle 2 I had was not as crisp due to the font being too light. I also put my sony purchased books on my nook after the sony store made the transition. That worked just fine for me. Glad I am able to do that. Its nice to have more buying options as well.
lisreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:39 PM   #5
artemisblossom
Groupie
artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony prs505
[QUOTE=One thing I am VERY happy to report on is that 99% of my purchased Sony Reader content works perfectly on the nook ([url]http://blogs.zdnet.com/mobile-gadgeteer/?p=2246[/url]). EPUB is really the new standard format that is rocking the ebook world and I couldn't be happier with my nook purchase.QUOTE]

OMG I am thrilled to hear this!!! I have been thinking of getting a nook as a second reader but I wrote to B&N and they told me that I couldn't read books from the sony store on a nook or read b&N books on a sony. Is there anything special you have to do to get them to work? How do you load them? I am sure the sony store program wouldn't recognize a nook if you plugged it in.
artemisblossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2009, 02:09 PM   #6
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The power of EPUB! I'm glad that Sony switched to the EPUB format since it's supported by other devices. I always hoped that I could buy an ebook from one store and have the ability to read it on any ebook reading device. I see this as a step in that direction.

Hopefully, Sony as well as other EPUB supporting ereader will update their software so that I can read B&N purchased ebooks on ebook devices other than the Nook.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote