Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 04-01-2009, 04:16 PM   #1
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Free Bibles in the Kindle store (limited time)

The two following bibles are available for free from the Kindle store.

Holy Bible, GOD'S WORD Translation (GW) til May 31st.
Holy Bible, Today's New International Version, TNIV til June 31st.
The Holy Bible English Standard Version (ESV)

...via the Kindle blog.

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 04-04-2009 at 12:55 PM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:48 PM   #2
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1
There is also a free book

Because He Loves Me: How Christ Transforms Our Daily Life by Elyse M. Fitzpatrick
Sporadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2009, 06:13 PM   #3
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Wow!! I paid $14.95 for the TNIV, a year ago. Great stuff. I'll download this too (they didn't tell me "you already have it") -- maybe they've done some work on formatting, or something.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 06:14 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Wow!! I paid $14.95 for the TNIV, a year ago. Great stuff. I'll download this too (they didn't tell me "you already have it") -- maybe they've done some work on formatting, or something.
Tell me how long it takes to index.

BOb
Old 04-01-2009, 06:34 PM   #5
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

(how do I tell?)
Advert
Old 04-01-2009, 07:11 PM   #6
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Great, now I have three different bibles on my Kindle. Unfortunately, the God's Word version doesn't include their translations of several Apocrypha / Deuterocanonical books.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:56 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
(how do I tell?)
Search for something that you know is in the bible. It won't find it until it is done indexing. (I think).

BOb
Old 04-01-2009, 08:15 PM   #8
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

Sorry -- had to leave my desk for an hour. It finished in less than THAT time. (2 additional large bibles). It found Nebuchadnezzar in the above mentioned free God's Word version and TNIV version, and also in the previously downloaded TNIV and ESV.

Also in "Mobipocket Guide. I'm gonna have to check THAT instance! Huh -- one of Voltaire's books has someone in love with Nebuchadnezzar!
Old 04-01-2009, 09:43 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Sorry -- had to leave my desk for an hour. It finished in less than THAT time. (2 additional large bibles). It found Nebuchadnezzar in the above mentioned free God's Word version and TNIV version, and also in the previously downloaded TNIV and ESV.

Also in "Mobipocket Guide. I'm gonna have to check THAT instance! Huh -- one of Voltaire's books has someone in love with Nebuchadnezzar!
Cool thanks. That's close enough. It seems to take about 15 mins to index the feedbooks guide.

BOb
Old 04-01-2009, 09:52 PM   #10
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
The English Standard Version is also there for free.

http://www.amazon.com/Holy-Bible-Eng...8637100&sr=1-1
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:09 PM   #11
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Great, now I have three different bibles on my Kindle. Unfortunately, the God's Word version doesn't include their translations of several Apocrypha / Deuterocanonical books.
I uploaded a King James version Apocrypha some time ago, if that's any use.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 02:04 PM   #12
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I uploaded a King James version Apocrypha some time ago, if that's any use.
I downloaded it at that time. It's interesting (though I've not really started it) to those of us who've never seen the Apocrypha. Since they're apocryphal, and all.....
Old 04-02-2009, 04:14 PM   #13
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It has some good stories: Tobias and the angel; also the story of Susanna and the Elders who spied on her while she had a bath.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:17 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
It has some good stories: Tobias and the angel; also the story of Susanna and the Elders who spied on her while she had a bath.
Is the gospel of Mary Magdalen in there somewhere?

BOb
Old 04-02-2009, 04:31 PM   #15
Patricia
Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Is the gospel of Mary Magdalen in there somewhere?

BOb
No, that's non-canonical. But I've also uploaded a heap of works which failed to make the cut when Jerome and, later, Irenaeus were choosing Biblical books. See my upload of Archbishop Wake's "The Forbidden Gospels." It has both the Infancy narrative of St Thomas, the Gospel of Thomas etc.

I'm not sure whether the Magdalene Gospel translation is out of copyright. If you want to find more non-canonical texts than you can wave a stick at, then consult the Gnostic Society Library here:
http://www.gnosis.org/library.html

They have all the Nag Hammadi texts in translation, too, and some translations of the Dead Sea Scrolls.
http://www.gnosis.org/library/scroll.htm