Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 11-20-2015, 11:54 AM   #1
blue_skies
Evangelist
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue T62+; Boyue Mimas; and my old Kindle Keyboard
Boyue T62+ - FBReader & Dictan?

I really love the way the built-in FBReader renders text and would like to stay with it, but I'm not sure what to do regarding adding a dictionary.

The FBReader site mentions their latest version which includes Dictan - https://fbreader.org/content/fbreader-246-android

Dictan Overview - http://www.softex.info/

Dictan looks like it would be very simple to add and easy to use. But when I look at my apps on the T62+, it looks like a very old version that I don't think would be compatible.

How can I update to the latest version of FBReader so I can install Dictan? I don't see any update software option. Do I just download and install the APK and it overwrites it, or something?

I finally have the T62+ working great and I don't want to mess it up.

Is anyone using Dictan with FBReader?
blue_skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 10:13 AM   #2
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EnergySistemEreaderPro, Nook STG, Pocketbook 622, Bookeen Cybooks ...
If I remember right the T62+ has an option to change the global dictionary app via system settings. Just install dictan and look for that dictionary-settings. Didn't test it but Dictan should be selectable.
nhedgehog is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2015, 12:26 PM   #3
blue_skies
Evangelist
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhedgehog View Post
If I remember right the T62+ has an option to change the global dictionary app via system settings. Just install dictan and look for that dictionary-settings. Didn't test it but Dictan should be selectable.
Thank you for your reply nhedgehog. What do you mean by "global" dictionary app? Does that mean default?

I ended up installing Colordict and Wordnet... and I can use it to look up words, but I can't get a pop-up definition in FBReader. I have to stop reading and go to home, then go to Apps, Colordict, and type or paste my word to get the definition... and then go back to reading.

I think if I just install Dictan, it will be the same problem unless I update to the latest version which is supposed to have support for Dictan.

Is there any "Update App" option for FBReader? Should I just download the latest APK? (Will that just overwrite it?)
Old 11-23-2015, 12:46 PM   #4
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EnergySistemEreaderPro, Nook STG, Pocketbook 622, Bookeen Cybooks ...
Yesss, change default dictionary app:
1) (on Onyx firmware, Boyue, Energy Sistem should be similiar):
Homescreen - Settings - Language - Dictionary - Dictionary Apps - ...
2) FBReader update - possible but you will loose a lot of the eInk adaptions made by the firmware makers, wouldn't recommend that.
nhedgehog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 03:15 PM   #5
blue_skies
Evangelist

Quote:
Yesss, change default dictionary app:
1) (on Onyx firmware, Boyue, Energy Sistem should be similiar):
Homescreen - Settings - Language - Dictionary - Dictionary Apps - ...
On the Boyue, I don't see any Dictionary options under Home - Settings - Language. Unfortunately.

Quote:
2) FBReader update - possible but you will loose a lot of the eInk adaptions made by the firmware makers, wouldn't recommend that.
Thank you for letting me know that! I really love how the pages are rendered in FBReader right now. The font I chose looks great, and there are almost never any weird spacing issues. Also, I really like the way it distinguishes paragraphs... so I'd rather not mess with that. (Especially since I did the manual FW update, so I'm not confident about doing any kind of factory reset to get my current FBReader back if it didn't work out.)

I installed ForaDict (using Wordnet dictionary) and I like it much better than ColorDict. There are more options, and it displays much nicer for me... so I ended up unistalling ColorDict.

The only problem is, I still can't get a definition to pop-up while reading a book with the default FBReader. Is there an option somewhere in ForaDict that will make that happen?
Advert