Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-15-2012, 05:35 PM   #226
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by awh_tokyo View Post
Well, Amazon updated my Paperwhite without asking me first, so I'm here to see if there's really a way to get the Jailbreak and then Collections Manager back on this using the serial port? What sort of cable will I need to make to get the serial port working?

*EDIT Found the info that the serial port is just 2 solder pads on the motherboard. I can work with that. So now the question is just whether I can actually install the jailbreak that way.
I believe you can flash a 5.2 image and bridge up via fastboot, Or maybe someone has a 5.3+jb image already put together (or extract these from the bridge installer IIRC)

***Take the above with a grain of salt, I don't actually have a device with fastboot***
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:59 PM   #227
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@awh_tokyo/@qlob: A serial access *should* allow you to boot in diags, which in turn should allow you to run the jailbreak. (Or play with uboot/fastboot and do it the hard way ).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2012, 06:09 PM   #228
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@awh_tokyo/@qlob: A serial access *should* allow you to boot in diags, which in turn should allow you to run the jailbreak. (Or play with uboot/fastboot and do it the hard way ).
That works too That was the only way I know how to do it... Hey, at least I got it right I don't even own a device with fastboot
Old 11-15-2012, 06:35 PM   #229
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlob View Post
That works too That was the only way I know how to do it... Hey, at least I got it right I don't even own a device with fastboot
There are a number of paths that could be taken, now that access to the full featured version of u-boot has been confirmed.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:46 PM   #230
awh_tokyo
Enthusiast
awh_tokyo began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Well, now I just have to find someplace in Tokyo where I can find a 1.8V TTL Serial -> USB converter. Luckily there are several blocks full of such places!
awh_tokyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2012, 07:07 PM   #231
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Small USBNet update (0.6.N), with updated binaries (updated toolchain).
Old 11-21-2012, 05:43 PM   #232
cryzed
Evangelist
cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quick question, because I am really somewhat new to Jailbreaking if it comes down to it: I am currently still running the 5.2.0 version of the Paperwhite operating system -- if I jailbreak it (which is essentially just adding a developer key to the keystore?) and then update to 5.3.0 the jailbreak will be essentially gone. That's what the "bridge" is for -- could you elaborate on how that works and if I can completely revert any changes made to the Kindle?

I am a bit scared of jailbreaking my device and then suddenly receiving an update which leaves my Kindle in a half-broken/half-working state because I messed with some system files. Basically I want to know: What do I do after jailbreaking my 5.2.0 Kindle Paperwhite? Can I create a full backup of some kind and later revert to it? After installing the Jailbreak "bridge" and updating to 5.3.0 will I still be able to remove the Jailbreak/installed hacks if I choose to do so?
cryzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:09 PM   #233
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
The PW jailbreak "bridge" (which is built into the most recent jailbreak files) only ensures that the custom developer key will be safe across the update from 5.2 to 5.3.

It does not interfere with the update process.

**Other** end-user customizations may or may not survive.
Which is one of the reasons for having a custom key that does - you can re-install anything that does not survive the update process.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:06 PM   #234
NiLuJe
BLAM!

The 5.3.0 update is actually a full image, so it actually wipes everything when you install it. (So it kinds of take care of the 'uninstall' & 'backup' parts of your queries ^^).

As for the JB, it's a single extra file, so, nothing dire or weird, easily (un)doable, we're not in Android/iDevice land .
Old 11-21-2012, 07:11 PM   #235
cryzed
Evangelist
cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How is it possible for the bridge to survive the image flash then, that's what I am interested in. Thanks for the answers already.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:13 PM   #236
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Magic!

(Not really ^^. It just lives in a different partition, one that's left untouched by the update process).
Old 11-21-2012, 07:15 PM   #237
qlob
Official Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Magic!
I knew it!
Old 11-22-2012, 02:19 AM   #238
cryzed
Evangelist

But at this point the jailbreak stops being "just a single file", right? And how do you force the Kindle software to check for the private key in the new partition? I'd imagine that they usually lie in a set position on the system or data partition, probably the root home folder?

I'd just like to understand the inner workings, of both, the jailbreak and the Kindle OS a bit better.

And what do you mean by "takes care of the back up"? Can I reflash the image whenever I feel like it?
Old 11-22-2012, 05:42 AM   #239
Ferrian
Ferrian began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kindle Paperwhite
Would having my Paperwhite jailbroken cause any problems if I decide to pay to remove special offers from my device? Also if I have to send the Paperwhite back for warranty is it easy to remove the jailbreak?

Last edited by Ferrian; 11-22-2012 at 05:45 AM.
Ferrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:41 AM   #240
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrian View Post
Would having my Paperwhite jailbroken cause any problems if I decide to pay to remove special offers from my device? Also if I have to send the Paperwhite back for warranty is it easy to remove the jailbreak?
1. No
2. Yes

ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5.1.0, 5.2.0, jailbreak, kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, touch