Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-23-2011, 12:58 PM   #226
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Too Good to Be True?

I know we're all speculating but I think the watermark will be a tasteful "Ex Libris" patch on the title page.

As to the WSJ thing, I really doubt the FBI and MI5 will go on "potter patrol" to hunt granny down for having an illegal copy of Goblet of Fire. My grandchildren's granny would do all she could to correct them if they showed up with any sort of stolen property. Frankly, I haven't trusted the WSJ as much since they became part of the Merdock empire. Their speculation may prove no more accurate than the USA Today article yesterday claiming Pottermore was a kind of Scavenger Hunt.

We'll all have to wait to know for sure but I think this will truly mark a turning point with the most valuable book series published essentially DRM free.

Too good to be true? Maybe. We'll see.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:09 PM   #227
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You do realise that Diap knows more about DRM than you could ever hope to in your wildest dreams? I think you can be confident that he's very well aware of how Kindle DRM works .
I haven't seen any news on the change.

Last edited by CleverClothe; 06-23-2011 at 01:15 PM.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2011, 01:11 PM   #228
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
<quote revised>

Last edited by ApK; 06-23-2011 at 01:20 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:12 PM   #229
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Where's that smiley of a smiley eating popcorn? I need it now.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:17 PM   #230
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
I know we're all speculating but I think the watermark will be a tasteful "Ex Libris" patch on the title page.

As to the WSJ thing, I really doubt the FBI and MI5 will go on "potter patrol" to hunt granny down for having an illegal copy of Goblet of Fire. My grandchildren's granny would do all she could to correct them if they showed up with any sort of stolen property. Frankly, I haven't trusted the WSJ as much since they became part of the Merdock empire. Their speculation may prove no more accurate than the USA Today article yesterday claiming Pottermore was a kind of Scavenger Hunt.

We'll all have to wait to know for sure but I think this will truly mark a turning point with the most valuable book series published essentially DRM free.

Too good to be true? Maybe. We'll see.
I'm less worried about the government and more about (unethical*) hackers.

* Disclaimer: Not all hackers are unethical. To be clear, I'm only worried about the unethical ones.

The announcement seems to claim that individual books will be tied to individual people. And that the tie will be done in such a way that IF they wanted to, they could find you.

What can that mean, practically? There are about 3 pieces of information you give out in a purchase: Credit Card Number, Name on the Card, and Address.

Addresses and names are not really worthwhile as persistent location data. Names change; people move. Furthermore, names/addresses are hard to verify at time of purchase. Usually CC#s are the only piece of information that can be actually verified during the purchase, and even then it's a pass/fail: did the purchase go through? Card number must be good.

So I have to assume that IF they really are serious about ANY HP book being immediately traceback-able to the initial purchaser, then to me that means that identification data will be embedded into the book file.

Either the identification data will be directly associate with you -- in which case, the FBI and hackers and anyone else who accesses that file can crack the file open and get that data. OR the information in the book file will be meaningless to us but will map back to a database on the Rowling end where a GUID in the book file corresponds to your purchase request -- in which case, the Rowling end is planning to maintain all our CC# data in a database for perpetuity that will likely not be some stand alone mainframe somewhere.

A HP database containing the CC# of every HP fan ever will be Fort Knox for identity thieves. And I'm not confident that Rowling Inc is going to be able to keep it secure, especially with their attitude that they have to reinvent the wheel every time they do something.

I'm not going to trust the homebrew firewall of a group of people who make statements like "every eReader device can read ePubs". Rowling and her people aren't experts in every single field on earth just because she's richer than Croesus.

Last edited by anamardoll; 06-23-2011 at 01:20 PM.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2011, 01:18 PM   #231
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Where's that smiley of a smiley eating popcorn? I need it now.

eP
Can we just call on the Who Knows More About Amazon DRM wars?
Old 06-23-2011, 01:19 PM   #232
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm not trying to start a fight, I just saw something that seemed very wrong. I have heard of the changes made to Kinde for PC and the mobile apps.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:26 PM   #233
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverClothe View Post
I'm not trying to start a fight
You didn't. We were just trying to point out who it was you were correcting.
And if you WERE trying to start a fight with DiapDealer, then unless you happen be, say, Dark Reverser under another name, it would not have been much of a fight.

Last edited by ApK; 06-23-2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:28 PM   #234
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You do realise that Diap knows more about DRM than you could ever hope to in your wildest dreams? I think you can be confident that he's very well aware of how Kindle DRM works .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
You didn't. We were just trying to point out who it was you were arguing with.
And if you WERE trying to start a fight, then unless you happen to also be known as "Dark Reverser", it would not have been much of a fight.
Yeah, but saying stuff like "X knows more about Y than you ever could/would/do/will/can dream of/etc." is kind of flame-baity and seemed to indicate that a fight had somehow been started. It was actually pretty cool of CC to back down so politely like that.

Is there anything wrong with a simple, "No, he's right, Google it, back on topic please"?

EDIT: Because obviously I know more about conflict resolution than the rest of ya'll could ever DREAM of knowing.

(That was intended as an ironic jab at myself ^^.)

Last edited by anamardoll; 06-23-2011 at 01:31 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:28 PM   #235
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Can we just call on the Who Knows More About Amazon DRM wars?
Not until Diap comes back. Because it's fun.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:30 PM   #236
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
To be fair to CleverClothe, he's not technically wrong on a semantic level (or so my identical online cousin told me when I asked him).

A device PID is still generated... it's just not used (or used by itself) to encrypt Amazon books anymore. You used to have one master device PID that worked for every single book that you purchased for that particular Kindle. One PID to rule them all, so to speak. That changed when the 2.5 software was released (hello?? collections?). From that point on, there were unique PID's for each book that were generated from a combination of hardware details and metadata tokens in the ebooks themselves (which was how K4PC worked from the start). All I was trying to say was that the old device PID that you had to generate from the "kindlepid" script doesn't have f**k-all to do with removing the DRM from Amazon purchases anymore.

I'd like to thank everyone for coming to the defense of the guy that apparently uses the same username/avatar as me in other corners of the internet.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:31 PM   #237
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
The announcement seems to claim that individual books will be tied to individual people. And that the tie will be done in such a way that IF they wanted to, they could find you.
Wired magazine published an excellent article. They seem to feel sure this is an important new direction for eBooks in general. They also see this as the publication of important books without the DRM.

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2011/...rmore-details/
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:32 PM   #238
ApK

Quote:
It was actually pretty cool of CC to back down so politely like that.
Yes, and I did redact my Thomas Edison line when he did.

Quote:
Is there anything wrong with a simple, "No, he's right, Google it, back on topic please"?
On topic? Holy Mackerel, this is the JK Rowling thread...I forgot where I was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
the guy that apparently uses the same username/avatar as me in other corners of the internet.
I'd sue.

ApK

Last edited by ApK; 06-23-2011 at 01:35 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:33 PM   #239
CleverClothe
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
To be fair to CleverClothe, he's not technically wrong on a semantic level (or so my identical online cousin told me when I asked him).

A device PID is still generated... it's just not used (or used by itself) to encrypt Amazon books anymore. You used to have one master device PID that worked for every single book that you purchased for that particular Kindle. One PID to rule them all, so to speak. That changed when the 2.5 software was released (hello?? collections?). From that point on, there were unique PID's for each book that were generated from a combination of hardware details and metadata tokens in the ebooks themselves (which was how K4PC worked from the start). All I was trying to say was that the old device PID that you had to generate from the "kindlepid" script doesn't have f**k-all to do with removing the DRM from Amazon purchases anymore.

I'd like to thank everyone for coming to the defense of the guy that apparently uses the same username/avatar as me in other corners of the internet.
I apologize for insulting you, I don't background check every poster I run across.

[Funny note, I mistyped "insulting" as "insluting", thank you Chrome spell check.]
Old 06-23-2011, 01:34 PM   #240
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
Wired magazine published an excellent article. They seem to feel sure this is an important new direction for eBooks in general. They also see this as the publication of important books without the DRM.

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2011/...rmore-details/
Can someone please explain to me how digital watermarking isn't digital rights management (DRM)?

If the answer is "it doesn't lock you into a device!" then I have a different, broader definition of DRM than that. (Perhaps I'm wrong.)