Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-11-2010, 01:13 PM   #16
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
I've just heard the first anti-US joke from a friend of mine. Here you go:

Q: What time does the England vs US match start?

A: 19:39 but the US will turn up at 19:41 and claim victory.
As a person aware of the sensibilities of other countries, I would like to disassociate myself from this joke. Thrashing them tomorrow will be enough humiliation, surely?

(Seriously though Moejoe - hilarious )
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:30 PM   #17
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
As a person aware of the sensibilities of other countries, I would like to disassociate myself from this joke. Thrashing them tomorrow will be enough humiliation, surely?

(Seriously though Moejoe - hilarious )
I also disassociate myself from the joke and blame my friend who told me the joke (he must be blamed for all things ). Also, he has another joke which he says he'll only tell me tomorrow, the dastard!

Oh and we better thrash them damn Yanks, I've got a fiver riding on the outcome with my joke telling friend.

Last edited by Moejoe; 06-11-2010 at 01:33 PM.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 02:10 PM   #18
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I also disassociate myself from the joke and blame my friend who told me the joke (he must be blamed for all things ). Also, he has another joke which he says he'll only tell me tomorrow, the dastard!
I'll look forward to disapproving of that one as well then.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:31 PM   #19
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Indeed it was a good game. Felt a bit sorry for South Africa; they really should have won it in the last minute.
Well at lest the refs gave them a tie, it should have been 2-1 Mexico.

Oh and btw go US, I'll be watching the US vs UK game at my brothers house.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 02:34 PM   #20
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Why do you say that?
Old 06-11-2010, 02:46 PM   #21
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:

Oh and btw go US, I'll be watching the US vs UK game at my brothers house.
Was there a goal disallowed that I missed? I was away from the match a couple of times on the phone.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 02:49 PM   #22
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Why do you say that?
Unless I'm not understanding the Offside rules, the first goal Mexico scored was recalled due to offside. But there was clearly a defender between the offensive player and the goal. There was several replays to show this error.

=X=
Old 06-11-2010, 02:50 PM   #23
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by obs20 View Post
http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/th...teams--one-cup
Had to share this. But the link only takes you to the daily show sight.

Look for John oliver's piece: Two Teams One Cup
The link worked, maybe I should have been watching it at work, I couldn't stop laughing.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:51 PM   #24
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Was there a goal disallowed that I missed? I was away from the match a couple of times on the phone.
Yes, it happened in the first half.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:54 PM   #25
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
Unless I'm not understanding the Offside rules, the first goal Mexico scored was recalled due to offside. But there was clearly a defender between the offensive player and the goal. There was several replays to show this error.

=X=
Sorry, I think you are misunderstanding it. We too had several replays and commentary that clearly demonstrated that it was offside.

The offside rule states that there must be two opposing players between the offensive player and the goal. The fact that one of these is almost always the goalkeeper means that a lot of people read it the way you do.

In today's case, the goalkeeper had come out and got himself ahead (or behind, depending how you look at it) of the offensive player leaving just one player (the defender you correctly mention) between the offensive player and the goal-line. Therefore the ruling of offside was correct.

Last edited by Bilbo1967; 06-11-2010 at 02:58 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:15 PM   #26
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Sorry, I think you are misunderstanding it. We too had several replays and commentary that clearly demonstrated that it was offside.

The offside rule states that there must be two opposing players between the offensive player and the goal. The fact that one of these is almost always the goalkeeper means that a lot of people read it the way you do.

In today's case, the goalkeeper had come out and got himself ahead (or behind, depending how you look at it) of the offensive player leaving just one player (the defender you correctly mention) between the offensive player and the goal-line. Therefore the ruling of offside was correct.
Yes, okay I understand now, as much as I've heard people explain the rule, nobody explained it as easily as you.

Based on my new understanding, I do agree that was a good call, I just thought that since the defender was hidden in the net the refs did not see him.

I was able to watch the Mexico vs South America game since it was early enough before going to work. But I'm missing the Uraguay vs France game, since I'm now at work. Maybe I'll go to lunch in a few and catch the the second half.

=X=
Old 06-11-2010, 03:16 PM   #27
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Portugal!!!

I'll have to wait for next tuesday to watch my country's first match.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 03:18 PM   #28
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
Yes, okay I understand now, as much as I've heard people explain the rule, nobody explained it as easily as you.

Based on my new understanding, I do agree that was a good call, I just thought that since the defender was hidden in the net the refs did not see him.

I was able to watch the Mexico vs South America game since it was early enough before going to work. But I'm missing the Uraguay vs France game, since I'm now at work. Maybe I'll go to lunch in a few and catch the the second half.

=X=
Well, 0 v 0 at half time and not a great game to be honest (I'd hate to see you waste a lunch hour).
Old 06-11-2010, 03:25 PM   #29
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
Portugal!!!

I think that Portugal have a good chance - shame Nani is injured and out but still a lot of good players there.

Looks like there could be a Spain v Portugal match at some point if all goes according to form; should be an interesting game
Old 06-11-2010, 04:05 PM   #30
ravenne
Wizard
ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PocketBook 360°, Cybook Gen3, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
Portugal!!!

Ha! Here you are, Portugal! I'm looking forward to that game too.
ravenne is offline   Reply With Quote