Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-25-2008, 09:18 PM   #1
smp_iliad
Connoisseur
smp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-books

Device: KindleDX, iPhone3Gs
Another defective unit

My DR1000s arrived today and it apparently has fault in capacitive sensor. I saw somewhere in the thread complaining about the same problem. This problem comes up random. You can see in the picture three sensor lights stay on. I think anyone receiving DR1000s should check the problem as well. Personally, I don't understand why iRex had to use the capacitive sensor...iLiad has more useful buttons than DR.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0218s.JPG
Views:	625
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	17303  
smp_iliad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 09:22 PM   #2
Morffius
Enthusiast
Morffius began at the beginning.

Device: IPhone / Paper
The capacitive sensors don't make much sense to me either. I suppose the only thing they provide is a unified aesthetic to the device and maybe prevent accidental powering on.
Morffius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 06:48 PM   #3
veeraganesh
Enthusiast
veeraganesh began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000s
I got the same problem, once. As soon as I reset it they are ok.
veeraganesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 01:26 PM   #4
smp_iliad
Connoisseur
smp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-books

Device: KindleDX, iPhone3Gs
It turns out that the problem was due to high EMI from fluorescent light!
The button problem disappeared when I turned off the light on my desk.
smp_iliad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:55 PM   #5
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man
allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo, Nook Classic,Color,ST/Glow, iRex DR1000, Sony 505, REB1100&1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by smp_iliad View Post
It turns out that the problem was due to high EMI from fluorescent light!
The button problem disappeared when I turned off the light on my desk.
Woah, didn't realize they were this sensitive, between this and the static from the Deluxe cover (as other users have experienced) Personally I haven't run into any problems myself yet.

I think the biggest advantage is that there will be no wear-and-tear or mechanical failure or dirt intrusion, which I like, as well as the fact that it can be used equally well by lefties and righties (hand-wise :)
allovertheglobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:40 PM   #6
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by smp_iliad View Post
My DR1000s arrived today and it apparently has fault in capacitive sensor. I saw somewhere in the thread complaining about the same problem. This problem comes up random. You can see in the picture three sensor lights stay on. I think anyone receiving DR1000s should check the problem as well. Personally, I don't understand why iRex had to use the capacitive sensor...iLiad has more useful buttons than DR.
What are capacitive sensors anyway?
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 07:21 PM   #7
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man
allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
What are capacitive sensors anyway?
Here's a page that may explain things. At least the top of the pages keeps it fairly easy. Basically they generate a small electrical field, which will be changed by the presence of your fingertip and this can be interpreted as a "button push" (without the need of a physical switch)
Old 11-06-2008, 07:52 PM   #8
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Can this function be disabled - I don´t like to be radiated in an unfriendly way. Additionally this costs a lot of battery power.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:25 PM   #9
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
Can this function be disabled - I don´t like to be radiated in an unfriendly way. Additionally this costs a lot of battery power.
OK, to be clear: we're not talking about nuclear radiation here, or even cellphone radiation, for the paranoid.

If you look at the diagram in the link, you can see it only goes for 1-2mm above the button, and obviously not further sideways either because otherwise it wouldn't know which one of the three "buttons" side-by-side you pressed. It doesn't use a lot of power at all (like the tablet does) and it can't be turned off completely (remember you have to hold down the menu button to turn the reader on...)

You can lock the sensors in the preferences. But then you have to use the pen. And the reason your pen doesn't need a battery is because the Wacom tablet generates its own inductive field.

You can turn that off too if you are worried about "radiation", but than you can't do anything with reader anymore

Last edited by allovertheglobe; 11-06-2008 at 10:04 PM.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:54 AM   #10
joblack
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertheglobe View Post
OK, to be clear: we're not talking about nuclear radiation here, or even cellphone radiation, for the paranoid.

You can turn that off too if you are worried about "radiation", but than you can't do anything with reader anymore
We are talking about nuclear radiation -> flying electrons are beta radiation. It's not a strong one but if you don't need it don't have it ... wouldn't you agree? ...

Last edited by joblack; 11-07-2008 at 08:57 AM.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:24 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
We are talking about nuclear radiation -> flying electrons are beta radiation. It's not a strong one but if you don't need it don't have it ... wouldn't you agree? ...
Beta radiation is indeed "flying electrons", but there's no "flying electrons" here - this is a static electromagnetic field. Do you worry about being "irradiated" by the field around a magnet? This is no different, and is far weaker than the EM field you are sitting in every moment of your life due to the Earth's magnetic field.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 12:38 PM   #12
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
I was joking about "nuclear radiation", meaning as in Chernobyl or 3-Mile Island (not that THOSE were a joke) There is radiation everywhere anyway, whether it's harmful to humans is often a matter of degree...

In this case your DR1000 emits only very weak ones, no more than any other electronic device without a true transmitter, and furthermore they don't go far (not much beyond either the tip of your finger or the tip of your stylus respectively)

Maybe the wireless & bluetooth version would be more of a concern, but right now it seems more of a concern when will it ever be released to most people

Anyhoo, we're getting so I'll leave it at this.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:40 PM   #13
kreg
kreg began at the beginning.

Device: DR 1000s
This is not "Radiation" in the lay sense

Quote:
No. Absolutely not. In fact, these sensor are not even emitting electrons. They simply create an electric field. You are exposed to stronger fields every time you walk around wearing slacks, every time you sit in a car, ever time you sit in front of a computer, or when you comb your hair. These fields are absolutely, incontrovertibly of no possible harm.

I have, however, had occasional problems with there behavior. I was thinking it was when the battery was low? When I tried to power the unit up while sitting on a plastic stand through which I had drilled a whole for the usb cord, they totally flaked out--big surprise, the plastic carries a static charge from routine handling.
kreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 07:15 AM   #14
Bunter
Bunter began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
Put your tin hats on...

I think iRex used these type of buttons just because they could. In old iLiad there is also a lot of strange hardware (audio, two different memory card slots, USB connection that never worked, standard ethernet through dock), probably somebody with strong engineering background and no marketing vision for the device decided to stuff all that into iLiad following more is better... Now probably someone who knew about capacitive sensor thought they are such a neat piece of electronics and stuffed those into DR without thinking more than 3 seconds about usability. Sorry, but iRex guys in my opinion have strong management/product development issues... I personally use my old worn iLiad and wait for next year to see if iRex manages to deliver any of the promises it has made for the DR.
Bunter is offline   Reply With Quote