Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-24-2012, 10:43 AM   #16
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
You made the front page at TechCrunch.

http://techcrunch.com/2012/07/24/ama...p-hack-tether/
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #17
chamekke
Groupie
chamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Yeah, I noticed! o_0

First head over the parapet, that's me.

BTW, I'd never even heard of tethering until this thread. Yikes, no wonder they established a limit.
chamekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:39 AM   #18
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
I may be partly responsible for this. I used my Kindle Keyboard exclusively for internet on a trip to china last month. (No other way of getting on). I even saw the exact moment they downgraded all the images through their proxy.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:39 AM   #19
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 3 3G, Kobo Touch, Playbook, Kobo Clara HD
I bought my second Kindle 3 the 3G variety so I can use it for emails and online banking when traveling oversees.

50 MB is cutting it too close. I have no choice but turn off the images and hope for the best. A 500 MB limit would have been more proper in my opinion.
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:45 AM   #20
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskimo49 View Post
This could be open to abuse very easy, especially if you go on holiday abroad, and let Amazon pick up the bill for roaming internet charges.
You won't be able to download files, listen to music, watch video, have access to flash ... . Plus the use of the browser is quite awkward so I do not think many people would generate substantial traffic.
Unless you use tethering, which should be very easy to spot for an Amazon server, if they cared to watch for it (they definitely would once it got widespread).
Amazon has roaming agreements that are, I suspect, different from racketeering prices big telecos charge us - hapeless individual users.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:50 AM   #21
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
On Kindle Touch, 3G browser access is limited to amazon.com and wikipedia.org. That said, I think it is totally worth paying for the 3G model (though I got mine for only $110 at Walmart).

It is not just for Kindle Store/library access: all of the internet-enabled reading features are available whenever 3G is (sync, Translate, wikipedia lookup, rate this book, report content error, Share). I use wikipedia lookup a lot (the article summary pops up just like dictionary definitions, no need to launch browser unless you want more than the summary). It's a pain to connect to wifi sometimes also, and KT will not connect at all to one wifi network that I spend a lot of time in.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:45 PM   #22
Dallista
Connoisseur
Dallista doesn't litterDallista doesn't litter

Device: K3, PW
Wow, that is really bad news for me. I've been using it as free internet access on hols in the US and Japan. 50 Mb doesn't sounds like a lot...
Dallista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:58 PM   #23
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
On Kindle Touch, 3G browser access is limited to amazon.com and wikipedia.org. That said, I think it is totally worth paying for the 3G model (though I got mine for only $110 at Walmart).
Even a new kindle touch 3G can access any web page (unless a very recent update changed that) by using the "social networking" app, navigating to facebook, turning on article mode, and clicking a posted link to google. Then from google, "the world is your oyster". No jailbreak or hack needed.

For some reason, the youtube video showing this no longer exists. But there are written instructions using Twitter instead of Facebook here. I will not post a link, but you can use your Google skills if you are interested. The page in question claims they copied their instructions from a DELETED MobileRead page (even though it does not use any jailbreak hack or other modification).

The point is, you CAN access any web page if you know what options to select in the built-in kindle touch 3G menus. This has not been tested on the new 5.1.2 firmware, so perhaps they fixed it by now (or not).

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-29-2012 at 01:02 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:06 PM   #24
jreuschl
jreuschl is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS-500
This was useful on a trip to Turkey I took in the spring, too bad Users using it to tether PCs I'm sure was a big red flag...

http://www.justsearchseo.co.uk/tools/page-size/ Use that to calculate a page size.

This page as it stands could be downloaded 517 times over the 50MB limit. That isn't too bad if you really limit your use to absolutely necessary situations.

Last edited by jreuschl; 07-24-2012 at 04:27 PM.
jreuschl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:19 PM   #25
geoffwood
Addict
geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT+K4T+PRST1
Even without tethering, overseas use is expensive. I'm sure Amazon gets a good deal, but roaming on AT&T costs Joe Public $19.98 per MB. So Amazon is still giving you a service that would cost $1000/month at street prices. I know it sucks that they changed the rules, but it is still free data.
geoffwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:24 PM   #26
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
I just sent Amazon support an email about how unhappy I am to be punished for the actions of a few bad apples. I paid extra for my 3G Kindle and expect the service that was promised to me when I bought it. I have been planning on buying the new Kindle Fire when it comes out but now may get the Google Nexus instead just because I don't feel like supporting Amazon right now.
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:25 PM   #27
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shack70 View Post
I just sent Amazon support an email about how unhappy I am to be punished for the actions of a few bad apples. I paid extra for my 3G Kindle and expect the service that was promised to me when I bought it.
Did they actually promise unlimited 3G browsing? I can't remember.

I've always looked at the whole browser as a feature that could go away since it's always been experimental.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:56 PM   #28
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Did they actually promise unlimited 3G browsing? I can't remember.
To my knowledge... no one was ever promised unlimited free 3G web browsing forever.

Quote:
Several sources report that as of July 1st Kindle Keyboard 3G web browsing is limited to 50 MB per month in some areas outside the United States.
So Kindle 1s and 2s are exempt? Cool.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-24-2012 at 05:58 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:00 PM   #29
geoffwood
Addict
geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT+K4T+PRST1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shack70 View Post
I just sent Amazon support an email about how unhappy I am to be punished for the actions of a few bad apples. I paid extra for my 3G Kindle and expect the service that was promised to me when I bought it. I have been planning on buying the new Kindle Fire when it comes out but now may get the Google Nexus instead just because I don't feel like supporting Amazon right now.
I don't recall Amazon ever saying the 3G was intended to allow you to Pay your bills and check email while travelling half way round the world, or at the nearest coffee shop.

I really struggle to understand how anybody can believe that paying a onetime $50 upgrade to get a 3G ereader somehow entitles them to unlimited global data for life.

For the record, I own a 3G Kindle with keyboard, and I don't feel hard dome by. If you think you'll get better customer Service from Google, then go for it.
geoffwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:31 PM   #30
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
And 50MB/month is still useful for EMERGENCY web access, for checking email and such (without images). It will certainly put a damper on the folks doing the tethered access though.

It is irritating that a few people pissing in the punch spoils it for everybody though. It is called "tragedy of the commons" and it is all too common, unfortunately.

Rather than pissing and moaning to amazon, we should THANK them that they still allow 50MB/month of unrestricted access, instead of locking it all down to a few websites like they do with the newer kindles. Also, they did not impose this data cap when used in the USA (yet).

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-25-2012 at 07:57 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote