Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 12-28-2011, 09:38 PM   #1
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Sony PRS350, Onyx M92, Onyx T68 (defective!)
Cool Reader vs FBReader vs Reader

which reader do you think is the best for T1?
FinancialWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:01 AM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
All of them.

What do you need it to do?
Pen-based annotation?
Rich formatting controls?
Dual-column landscape?
OPDS support?
Access to non-Adept ebookstores?

Since most reading apps are free, try them and see which one works best for you.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:19 PM   #3
tayseidel
Zealot
tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Glo HD, Aura H20, PRS-T1
What fjtorres said. All of them. So far I haven't seen a clear advantage of using one of them exclusively. I would use coolreader exclusively, but it has trouble with some of my epubs. Too bad, because the customization options in coolreader are amazing. I love the font options, and the ability to put a percentage counter instead of page count, and the clock/battery % as well.
tayseidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:25 PM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Plus the ergonomics of the T1 buttons works best in the Coolreader 2 column landscape mode.

Still, some people swear by Aldiko, MoonReader+, or Mantano.
And then there's the ebookstore apps (Kindle, Nook, Kob, Audible, whatever).
All are competent enough at the basics, but all have a different approach and a different target user.
There is no single answer for everybody.
Just different answers for different questions/needs.

Last edited by fjtorres; 12-29-2011 at 12:31 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:26 AM   #5
Konina
Konina began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPad 2, Astak EZ Reader
Do any of these readers allow for the use of folders and subfolders. This was the feature I most love on my 650 with PRS+ and I'd like to just be able to pop the SD card (or a new one) without having to change my files.
Konina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:00 AM   #6
damaki
damaki has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3
I think that the official Sony Reader app is the post polished so far, on the T1. Not perfect, but it works.
damaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:47 AM   #7
Konina
Konina began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPad 2, Astak EZ Reader
But does the Sony app read folders and subfolders instead of "collections"?
Konina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:03 AM   #8
ewandeep
Zealot
ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Sony PRS-T1 Sony PRS-350 Nook Touch Glow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konina View Post
But does the Sony app read folders and subfolders instead of "collections"?
No, Indeed
ewandeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:21 PM   #9
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Do any of these third party readers support lookup using the built in dictionary?
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:47 AM   #10
damaki
damaki has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3
For me, the selling features are :
- I can easily export quotes to text even without Sony's ugly piece of software
- multiple dictionary
- physical buttons support
- page flipping gestures so that I can handle it either left or right handed
- it works
damaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:24 PM   #11
dmiller
Enthusiast
dmiller began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
damaki,
How do you export quotes to text in the Sony app without using Sony's ugly desktop Sony Reader?
dmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:52 AM   #12
vietchovui
Zealot
vietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS T1, Kobo Forma 8G, Kobo Libra H2O
I love Coolreader most for its text quality and customization possibility. But there is one thing I think that coolreader's creator can improve is the option to reduce the space btw paragraphs. You can see the space difference btw the two apps: Coolreader and FBreader in the attached files.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Coolreader Page1.png
Views:	817
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	81758   Click image for larger version

Name:	Coolreader page2.png
Views:	755
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	81759   Click image for larger version

Name:	FBreader one page.png
Views:	713
Size:	185.0 KB
ID:	81760  
vietchovui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:05 AM   #13
salines
Zealot
salines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by vietchovui View Post
I love Coolreader most for its text quality and customization possibility. But there is one thing I think that coolreader's creator can improve is the option to reduce the space btw paragraphs. You can see the space difference btw the two apps: Coolreader and FBreader in the attached files.
Make a feature request at the CoolReader SourceForge page or contact the developer in mobileread-forum.
salines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:51 AM   #14
Thor
Thor will become famous soon enoughThor will become famous soon enoughThor will become famous soon enoughThor will become famous soon enoughThor will become famous soon enoughThor will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
For me Cool Reader wins the race as it is the most customizable reading app I have found. I have one book as ebook and as "real paper version". Only with Cool Reader I am able to adjust the look of the ebook as close as possible to the real one.
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:55 AM   #15
Azhad
Azhad began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500, PRS-505, Milestone, Galaxy Tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by vietchovui View Post
I don't have the T1 here with me at work, but I remember that I was able to fine tune the space between the paragraphs using the "space before the paragraph" and the "space after the paragraph" setting under the CCS menu.
Azhad is offline   Reply With Quote