Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-08-2015, 10:09 AM   #31
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Nothing from Amazon, in English - yet.
Nothing for Kindle, but there are a few in paper...

Voices from Chernobyl: The Oral History of a Nuclear Disaster

Zinky Boys: Soviet Voices from the Afghanistan War
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 10:10 AM   #32
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
I think about 2 of her books have been translated into English, Amazon are probably frantically trying to get some stock in, can't see them having crates of them on hand.
Amazon France on the other hand had a link to her books on the main Books page shortly after it was announced, but then, unsurprisingly, more of her stuff is available in French than in English.

Edit: looks like Amazon.fr has run out of stock, though 1 is available in Kindle format

Last edited by Yolina; 10-08-2015 at 10:23 AM.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2015, 11:17 AM   #33
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
According to the Nobel committee's official press statement, a few of her works have been translated into English. Perhaps Amazon doesn't stock everything after all?

That's good to know.

I'll do an extensive search to see if there's anything to buy.

Thanks.

--- I just realized - and did not at all make clear - that I was checking only for the Kindle.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 11:19 AM   #34
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post

Thank you.

I failed to make clear that I had only looked for something in the ebook format.

Armed with the information you've given me, I'll probably buy something in paper if I fail to find anything in an ebook (or PDF) format.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:34 PM   #35
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
Anyone read anything by her?
I've read one she wrote about women in the Red Army during WWII (a Norwegian translation, possibly abridged version of the original). It was very good, a matter-of-fact description of war, with tragedies, trivialities, and humour.
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2015, 01:07 PM   #36
Shamil
Shamil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shamil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shamil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shamil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shamil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shamil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shamil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shamil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shamil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shamil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shamil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
In what way?
1) Again an unknown author from a 3rd world country instead of world literature. If the author is almost unknown in the anglophone, frankophone and germanophone world (through existing translations of his work, for example), then it seems to be a local phenomena only.

2) Alexievichs work seems to be rather journalistic or historic than artistic.

3) The Nobel price should promote idealistic art (whatever that may be in 2015): The most outstanding work in an ideal direction (i en idealisk riktning) should get awarded.

So, I'm disappointed in three ways at least.
Shamil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 02:10 PM   #37
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamil View Post
1) Again an unknown author from a 3rd world country instead of world literature. If the author is almost unknown in the anglophone, frankophone and germanophone world (through existing translations of his work, for example), then it seems to be a local phenomena only.

2) Alexievichs work seems to be rather journalistic or historic than artistic.

3) The Nobel price should promote idealistic art (whatever that may be in 2015): The most outstanding work in an ideal direction (i en idealisk riktning) should get awarded.

From the Nobel Prize criteria for the Laureate in Literature:

"...the person who, in the literary field, had produced "the most outstanding work in an ideal direction". The Laureate should be determined by "the Academy in Stockholm", which was specified by the statutes of the Nobel Foundation to mean the Swedish Academy. These statutes defined literature as "not only belles-lettres, but also other writings which, by virtue of their form and style, possess literary value"

It would appear that the Academy has very wide discretion as to their choice, and that journalistic or historic writings are eligible, if they possess literary value.

As to the nationality of the laureates:

"A new policy, long on its way, had a breakthrough in the 1980s. Again, it was an attempt to understand and carry out Nobel's intentions. His will had an international horizon, though it rejected any consideration for the nationality of the candidates: the most worthy should be chosen, "whether he be Scandinavian or not". The problem of surveying the literature of the whole world was, however, overwhelming and for a long time the Academy was, with justice, to be criticized for making the award a European affair."

Source: http://www.nobelprize.org/index.html
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 02:44 PM   #38
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

I was hoping the choice would be Murakami as I really like his books. However, I am always happy to be introduced to an author that I have never read and in this case never even heard of. I checked my local library system just minutes ago and was pleased to find that Voices from Chernobyl in English translation was available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
From the Nobel Prize criteria for the Laureate in Literature:

"...the person who, in the literary field, had produced "the most outstanding work in an ideal direction". The Laureate should be determined by "the Academy in Stockholm", which was specified by the statutes of the Nobel Foundation to mean the Swedish Academy. These statutes defined literature as "not only belles-lettres, but also other writings which, by virtue of their form and style, possess literary value"

It would appear that the Academy has very wide discretion as to their choice, and that journalistic or historic writings are eligible, if they possess literary value.
It has always been very broad. Rudolf Eucken (1908 winner) was a philosopher. Theodor Mommsen(1902 winner) was a historian.
Old 10-08-2015, 02:59 PM   #39
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Found the Award-Winning Books section on Amazon UK - for the Nobel Prize, they're still in 2014 and haven't updated the page yet

Last edited by Yolina; 10-08-2015 at 03:24 PM.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 03:27 PM   #40
Shamil
Shamil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shamil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shamil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shamil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shamil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shamil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shamil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shamil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shamil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shamil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shamil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2
Ty, poohbear.

To me, there's still a difference between "the most outstanding work in an ideal direction" and something else that "possesses literary value". But that seems to be a problem with the Nobel Pice in Literature in general.

I've had a look, my library has three Ebooks from Alexievich so far.

Personally I would have prefered Peter Handke.
Shamil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 05:24 PM   #41
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
It has always been very broad. Rudolf Eucken (1908 winner) was a philosopher. Theodor Mommsen(1902 winner) was a historian.
And Churchill won in 1953, of course, on the basis of his historical works and memoirs. It certainly isn't always awarded for fiction.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 06:12 AM   #42
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
I would have thought that the Russian market is a big one, too. And in Germany she is not unknown, at least she was awarded several literary prices here.

Quote:

I am not exactly disappointed but I hoped a little bit that they would give the price to Henning Mankell. Maybe mystery and crime doesn't count as literature with the Nobel comittee.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 06:18 AM   #43
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Ty, poohbear.

To me, there's still a difference between "the most outstanding work in an ideal direction" and something else that "possesses literary value". But that seems to be a problem with the Nobel Pice in Literature in general.

I've had a look, my library has three Ebooks from Alexievich so far.

Personally I would have prefered Peter Handke.

Are those ebooks in English?
Old 10-09-2015, 06:23 AM   #44
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
I am not exactly disappointed but I hoped a little bit that they would give the price to Henning Mankell. Maybe mystery and crime doesn't count as literature with the Nobel comittee.
Mankell is dead. Nobel Prizes are not awarded posthumously. As you say, also, they tend not to be awarded to authors of popular fiction.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 06:38 AM   #45
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Interesting list/analysis (pre-award) here:

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/1...ize-literature
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote