Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-26-2015, 11:39 AM   #46
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterwardgd View Post
Sorry for going off topic but i've never seen the word shutters used that way before. Is it an american thing? You also use the word 'shuts' right? colour me curious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimSham View Post
I was wondering the same thing. Shutters sounds rather odd, and brings up images of windows in my mind.
Not sure if it's an American idiom per se, but it does get used frequently here in the States.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 11:55 AM   #47
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Sorry for going off topic but i've never seen the word shutters used that way before. Is it an american thing? You also use the word 'shuts' right? colour me curious.
They don't use it in merry old?
Odd. It's an older English term, early 19th, roots going back to the 16th:
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?...earchmode=none

http://www.learnersdictionary.com/definition/shutter

Shutters are protective covers for windows (or a mechanism inside a camera inspired by them).
Storm shutters are heavy, robust shutters used to protect from incoming storms and hurricanes (depending on location.)
When a store goes under, it has long been typical to cover up the big glass display windows that would otherwise be empty. Hence, a failed store has been "shuttered".
If nothing else, it prevents vandalism.

Last edited by fjtorres; 09-26-2015 at 11:59 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2015, 12:01 PM   #48
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Here you all go.
:to close by or as if by shutters <corporations shuttering their production plants>
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 02:54 PM   #49
peterwardgd
Addict
peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura
Ha, yes i know the word shutters in regards to external window coverings but I've genuinely in my meagre 37 years never heard or rather seen it used that way anywhere.

I could see a shop that's gone out of business being shut up or ok shuttered. But if i was to describe it to someone i would say: it (the shop) had shut its doors. Shutters its ebook service just sounds strange to me, happily strange though i like our linguistic differences. Sorry op i've dragged it way off here.

I do kinda wish that the spell checker wouldn't keep trying to force color or meager on me though as opposed to colour and meagre. Ah it just did it again!
peterwardgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 05:15 PM   #50
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
I do kinda wish that the spell checker wouldn't keep trying to force color or meager on me though as opposed to colour and meagre. Ah it just did it again!
It's trying to teach you Brits how to spell correctly
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2015, 06:47 PM   #51
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Quote:
Ha, yes i know the word shutters in regards to external window coverings but I've genuinely in my meagre 37 years never heard or rather seen it used that way anywhere.
Well, now you have Talk about a broadening experience, eh?
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 12:12 AM   #52
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Why are you using an en_US dictionary then?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 07:47 AM   #53
peterwardgd
Addict
peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

no, definitely English uk keyboard selected on laptop. Unless there is a setting on mobileread? but if there is i cant find it.

edit
ah, just dawned on me im using chrome and you cant select uk english to be used as a spellechecker only american english. Which is a thread in itself!

double edit
I found an article online on how to change it in chrome. jackpot.

Last edited by peterwardgd; 09-27-2015 at 07:56 AM.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:35 AM   #54
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Why are you using an en_US dictionary then?
So when colour is underlined as an incorrect spelling we can sneer at the poorly educated computer
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 05:37 AM   #55
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
I can't look at peterwardgd's profile pic without thinking of Airplane ("Which led to my drinking problem")
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 06:01 AM   #56
peterwardgd
Addict

Well that's nice. i switched to chrome last week still fiddling with settings. Just private message me insults will you both so at least others cant see. I'm fine with that but i like the site and it doesn't make the place look to friendly.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:09 AM   #57
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
THE BOOKSELLER has a rambling piece quoting euro-side subscription service operators on Oyster's business model:

http://www.thebookseller.com/news/de...eo-says-313249

Note the size of their customer base as they brag about *their* success.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 07:26 AM   #58
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimSham View Post
I was wondering the same thing. Shutters sounds rather odd, and brings up images of windows in my mind.
Quote:
In American English business-speak, to "shutter" [see photos] or "wind up" a business is to shut it down.

Last edited by Froide; 09-28-2015 at 07:29 AM.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 11:23 AM   #59
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Well that's nice. i switched to chrome last week still fiddling with settings. Just private message me insults will you both so at least others cant see. I'm fine with that but i like the site and it doesn't make the place look to friendly.
Darling,
If they ever heard your voice, they would not insult you. I love your accent.
Please stay.
Note this was posted with a Texas accent.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 08:07 PM   #60
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Who's insulting you?

If someone is violating the Posting Guidelines rule #1, you should report their post to a moderator and it will be dealt with.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote