Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-28-2015, 11:32 PM   #1
wellesradio
wellesradio is a rising star in the heavenswellesradio is a rising star in the heavenswellesradio is a rising star in the heavenswellesradio is a rising star in the heavenswellesradio is a rising star in the heavenswellesradio is a rising star in the heavenswellesradio is a rising star in the heavenswellesradio is a rising star in the heavenswellesradio is a rising star in the heavenswellesradio is a rising star in the heavenswellesradio is a rising star in the heavens

Device: apple ipad (3rd generation)
Voyage: Why are some files different?

Ok, so I had a Kindle Touch a couple of years ago and I went through the whole rigmarolle, adding book covers to side loaded books and what not. I lost that machine a year ago and recently purchased the Voyage and it starts all over again. I don't understand: why do some MOBI files show up in cover view on my device WITH covers and others don't? I've tried to convert to AZW3 and MOBI and it just seems that the covers don't show. What's more some sideloaded books appear as books and some appear as Personal Documents.

What is the fix for all this? I've searched this and other forums to no avail (at least not with up to date info regarding the Voyage). I have Calibre 2.22 on Windows. Which file format works best for epub conversions on the Voyage to get rid of, if not the personal tag, at least include the covers?
wellesradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 11:35 PM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I don't have an answer for covers showing or not, but in the Calibre conversion window under "Mobi output" you can select "PDOC" (which is the current default value when I bring it up). If I remember correctly, leaving it blank tells your reader to treat it as a book.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2015, 02:21 AM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Pretty much -- but do note that you must select all books and click Edit Metadata, then check "Remove stored conversion settings for selected books" -- otherwise calibre will use the stale values for any previously-converted books.

Regarding covers, they will not appear except for PDOCs, as "Books" must get their covers from Amazon's servers. calibre works around this by sideloading the cover thumbnails itself, which requires you use calibre to do the sideloading.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 03:46 AM   #4
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Regarding covers, they will not appear except for PDOCs, as "Books" must get their covers from Amazon's servers. calibre works around this by sideloading the cover thumbnails itself, which requires you use calibre to do the sideloading.
Learned something new today. Gracias.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:47 AM   #5
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Pretty much -- but do note that you must select all books and click Edit Metadata, then check "Remove stored conversion settings for selected books" -- otherwise calibre will use the stale values for any previously-converted books.

So does that mean that for sideloaded documents they can either show as books or have a cover, but not both?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2015, 12:11 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Yes... unless you use calibre, in which case they can have both. Since calibre places all the files the Kindle expects.

In fact, calibre has a FAQ entry about this, targeted mainly towards smartphone/tablet users (where the workaround doesn't work): http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....droid-ipad-etc
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 02:47 AM   #7
wellesradio
wellesradio is a rising star in the heavenswellesradio is a rising star in the heavenswellesradio is a rising star in the heavenswellesradio is a rising star in the heavenswellesradio is a rising star in the heavenswellesradio is a rising star in the heavenswellesradio is a rising star in the heavenswellesradio is a rising star in the heavenswellesradio is a rising star in the heavenswellesradio is a rising star in the heavenswellesradio is a rising star in the heavens

Device: apple ipad (3rd generation)
Funny, "PDOC" isn't the default when I look at the MOBI Output window. In fact, it's blank. Oddly enough, the particular Epub (converted to a MOBI) I want to sideload doesn't appear anywhere in my Kindle when it's unplugged from my PC, though Calibre claims it's in there.
wellesradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:47 AM   #8
BZee2
BZee2 doesn't litterBZee2 doesn't litter

Device: Paperwhite 1 and 4 & Fire 7 HDX
Maybe the same problem I had:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZee2 View Post
Calibre converts the docx document to .mobi, sends it to the Paperwhite (via USB), says it is on the device but the document does not show on the Paperwhite. If I have Calibre convert the same docx to azw3 and send it to the Paperwhite, it shows. I have other mobi files on the Paperwhite that do show. Any ideas what is happening?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The MOBI file you attached works in both Kindle Previewer and shows up on my Kindle PaperWhite.

Your problems are almost certainly caused by some MOBI file on the device that is causing the kindle indexer to crash. All files that the indexer would have gotten to after the bad file will therefore not show up. Presumably, the Kindle indexes azw3 files separately/before MOBI files.

Reset your kindle or delete everything from it manually and you should be fine.
I reset my Kindle and now all the MOBI books show up.
BZee2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover art, kindle voyage