Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 06-16-2012, 05:39 PM   #1
terminalveracity
terminalveracity got an A in P-Chem.terminalveracity got an A in P-Chem.terminalveracity got an A in P-Chem.terminalveracity got an A in P-Chem.terminalveracity got an A in P-Chem.terminalveracity got an A in P-Chem.terminalveracity got an A in P-Chem.terminalveracity got an A in P-Chem.terminalveracity got an A in P-Chem.terminalveracity got an A in P-Chem.terminalveracity got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle
New recipe for National Geographic Magazine

This feed contains the main articles from the print magazine. Some of the miscellaneous topics (Your Shot, Wallpaper...) don't parse properly and are removed.

Spoiler:
Code:
import re
from calibre.web.feeds.recipes import BasicNewsRecipe

class NatGeoMag(BasicNewsRecipe):
    title                  = 'National Geographic Mag'
    __author__             = 'Terminal Veracity'
    description            = 'The National Geographic Magazine'
    publisher              = 'National Geographic'
    oldest_article         = 31
    max_articles_per_feed  = 50
    category               = 'geography, magazine'
    language               = 'en_US'
    publication_type       = 'magazine'
    cover_url              = 'http://www.yourlogoresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/national-geographic-logo.jpg'
    use_embedded_content   = False
    no_stylesheets         = True
    remove_javascript      = True
    recursions             = 1
    remove_empty_feeds     = True
    feeds                  = [('National Geographic Magazine', 'http://feeds.nationalgeographic.com/ng/NGM/NGM_Magazine')]
    remove_tags            = [dict(name='div', attrs={'class':['nextpage_continue', 'subscribe']})]
    keep_only_tags         = [dict(attrs={'class':'main_3narrow'})]
    extra_css              = """
                                h1 {font-size: large; font-weight: bold; margin: .5em 0; }
                                h2 {font-size: large; font-weight: bold; margin: .5em 0; }
                                h3 {font-size: medium; font-weight: bold; margin: 0 0; }
                                .article_credits_author {font-size: small; font-style: italic; }
                                .article_credits_photographer {font-size: small; font-style: italic; display: inline }
                             """

def parse_feeds(self):
        feeds = BasicNewsRecipe.parse_feeds(self)
        for feed in feeds:
            for article in feed.articles[:]:
                if 'Flashback' in article.title:
                    feed.articles.remove(article)
                elif 'Desktop Wallpaper' in article.title:
                elif 'Visions of Earth' in article.title:
                elif 'Your Shot' in article.title:
                elif 'MyShot' in article.title:
                elif 'Field Test' in article.title:
        return feeds

Note:
The other National Geographic recipes make use of the news feed: http://feeds.nationalgeographic.com/ng/News/News_Main

This recipe uses the magazine feed: http://feeds.nationalgeographic.com/ng/NGM/NGM_Magazine
terminalveracity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:13 AM   #2
Steven630
Groupie
Steven630 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite2
Thank you. I was looking for a recipe for the magazine.
Steven630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2012, 01:21 AM   #3
Steven630
Groupie

This recipe seems to catch past articles as well. I just tried and one article was from 2005. Wouldn't it be better to use to official TOC for each month?

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/20...le-of-contents
Old 06-28-2012, 01:23 PM   #4
terminalveracity
terminalveracity got an A in P-Chem.terminalveracity got an A in P-Chem.terminalveracity got an A in P-Chem.terminalveracity got an A in P-Chem.terminalveracity got an A in P-Chem.terminalveracity got an A in P-Chem.terminalveracity got an A in P-Chem.terminalveracity got an A in P-Chem.terminalveracity got an A in P-Chem.terminalveracity got an A in P-Chem.terminalveracity got an A in P-Chem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven630 View Post
This recipe seems to catch past articles as well. I just tried and one article was from 2005.
It seems to be working properly for me and should only fetch articles from the last 31 days. Are you using the code I provided here? (The latest version of Calibre has it built in too as "National Geographic Mag".)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven630 View Post
Wouldn't it be better to use to official TOC for each month?
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/20...le-of-contents
While I suppose it's theoretically possible to scrape that page for each article, it's a lot easier to use RSS. The RSS feed contains the bulk of the text from the print version. I've intentionally removed the image galleries (Your Shot, Flashback...) as they're too complex and aren't going to look good on a little e-ink device anyhow.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:40 PM   #5
Steven630
Groupie

Yes, I was using the recipe you provided. It worked fine except that one of the articles fetched was from 2005. Perhaps, it was the problem with rss, not the recipe.

Last edited by Steven630; 06-28-2012 at 11:43 PM.
Advert
Old 08-30-2012, 09:24 PM   #6
xfiles
xfiles can extract oil from cheesexfiles can extract oil from cheesexfiles can extract oil from cheesexfiles can extract oil from cheesexfiles can extract oil from cheesexfiles can extract oil from cheesexfiles can extract oil from cheesexfiles can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle
Post NatGeo Mobile

I have a Google Chrome browser extension for National Geographic Magazine (link Barry Welch autor), mobile version.

Is it possible to make a recipe based on this extension? At least use the feed. I think that this feed contains more content than the previous recipes.

xfiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 02:34 AM   #7
terminalveracity

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfiles View Post
I have a Google Chrome browser extension for National Geographic Magazine (link Barry Welch autor), mobile version.

Is it possible to make a recipe based on this extension? At least use the feed. I think that this feed contains more content than the previous recipes.

That extension is a fraud. It's nothing more than a frame linking to the NatGeo mobile site with ads bolted on. Bookmark > Extension.

As for content, the 2 existing recipes are far superior. The NatGeo mobile site only has a small subset of articles from the main news feed. The recipe named "National Geographic" uses the full news feed (shorter articles, more frequent new content) and "National Geographic Mag" uses the magazine feed (longer articles, less frequent new content).