Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-24-2012, 06:41 PM   #1
Binkyboy
Binkyboy began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Touch
EPUB BOOKS NOT Displaying Correctly

I am having a problem with My Nook ST reader displaying some Epub books. I will be reading and come to a few pages in a row where they are out of sequence not the pages but the sentences.....they are like every other sentence is correct...when I look at the book on Calibre in the original PDF they are right, so its when I convert them to EPUB so I can read them on my Nook ST they are screwed up... I hope you can understan what I am saying. Anyone have any ideas what I can do to alleviate this problem? I would sure appreiate it very much.

Thanks,
Dennis
Binkyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:17 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Unless you are willing to take the time to A/B compare the PDF to the ePub and fix anything you find erroneous in the ePub, delete the ePub and call it a night.

The ePub is displaying correctly. It's the conversion that didn't go so well. You cannot convert a novel length PDF and expect it to be free of errors. That's just ludicrous if you think that's even remotely possible. There is not one piece of software out there that can convert a novel length PDF and do it perfectly (without errors).

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-24-2012 at 11:19 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2012, 11:38 PM   #3
MSJim
Bookworm
MSJim began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600, Nook STR
I agree with JSWolf

I’ve had similar experiences of scrambled text with converted PDF books. Unfortunately, I don’t think there is a simple fix.

The books that gave me the type of problem you described had each chapter start off with a large drop character. All of the scrambled lines were from the first page of the (PDF) chapter. In searching for a reason and hopefully a fix, I found that, using Adobe Reader, I could not cleanly highlight and block copy the first page a chapter. Some of the text would highlight and some would be skipped. A block copy of the second or any number of subsequent pages would highlight and block copy as you would expect.

My brute force fix for this scrambling problem was to use a text editor (I use Sigil) to unscramble the ePub text via cut - and – paste, and using the PDF original as a guide. It’s a crude solution, but it’s the only fix I’ve found. If it was more than one page per chapter, I wouldn’t have bothered.

I refuse to read PDF books and have not personally found a PDF to ePub conversion that would produce acceptable results and didn’t require some post conversion tweaking. Over time I have worked out a system that gives me marginal, by my standards, acceptable conversion results, but I really really have to want to read the book to go through the process. I usually just pass and hope an ePub version becomes available.
MSJim is offline   Reply With Quote