Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-07-2012, 05:10 PM   #1
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
New Viewer?

What is the significance of the two font sizes in the new viewer "Table of Contents"?

Regards - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:18 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There's only one font size. Bold entries indicate the current chapter/section you are on in the viewer to the right.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2012, 04:02 AM   #3
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
There's only one font size. Bold entries indicate the current chapter/section you are on in the viewer to the right.
I am running Windows 7 64 bit, and I am displaying two font sizes on a dark gray background. A small normal font and a larger bold font.

A typical display would look like this:
TOC entry 1 and 2 - large bold
TOC entry 3,4 and 5 - small normal.
TOC entry 6,7 and 8 - large bold
TOC entry 9 and 10 - small normal.

This started with calibre-0.8.54 and continues with 8.55. This doesn't happen with all files.

I am sending two files that display this behavior. One I downloaded from Feedbook and the other a file I use for testing.

Regards - John
Attached Files
File Type: epub Edgar Rice Burroughs - Tarzan the Invincible - Tarzan n1.epub (194.1 KB, 117 views)
File Type: epub Who-Meth Lab.epub (84.6 KB, 109 views)
Old 06-08-2012, 04:23 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I tried opening Tarzan, and I dont see anything like that. See screenshot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	186
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	87465  
Old 06-08-2012, 08:57 AM   #5
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member

Quote:
I tried opening Tarzan, and I dont see anything like that. See screenshot.
Your TOC window is wide enough for everything to fit. If you decrease the window width you will see the behavior I described.

The problem has to do with the line length. If you drag the TOC window to make all lines fit, all is normal. If you make the window just wide enough for a given line and then select it, the smaller font will appear.

Earlier versions of the viewer truncated the line if it was to long to fit. This new method makes me grab a magnifying glass to to read it.

Regards - John

P.S. It would be nice to have the option to do away with the dark gray background. Old eyes lose the ability to discern contrast.

Last edited by Jabby; 06-08-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Advert
Old 06-08-2012, 12:37 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Nope, I still dont see that, entries are truncated with dots as they always were. See attached.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	170
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	87485  
Old 06-08-2012, 12:58 PM   #7
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member

Quote:
Nope, I still dont see that, entries are truncated with dots as they always were. See attached.
Well, something is going on - but what?

My screenshot.

Regards - John
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screenshot.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	87486  
Old 06-08-2012, 01:01 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

That looks like you're on XP, not windows 7. Go to preferences->Look & Feel and change the User Interface style to "Calibre style".
Old 06-08-2012, 01:02 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabby View Post
Well, something is going on - but what?

My screenshot.

Regards - John
What Windows Theme are you running? (It look like W2K )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:24 PM   #10
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
What Windows Theme are you running? (It look like W2K )
Running Windows 7 with the "classic" theme.

Regards - John
Old 06-08-2012, 03:40 PM   #11
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member

Quote:
That looks like you're on XP, not windows 7. Go to preferences->Look & Feel and change the User Interface style to "Calibre style".
I made the change you suggested but to no avail.

I am running Windows 7 (I swear on my granny's grave) with a "classic" theme.

Regards - John
Old 06-08-2012, 09:33 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I made the change you suggested but to no avail.

I am running Windows 7 (I swear on my granny's grave) with a "classic" theme.

Regards - John
John

I just tried switching my Win 7 Pro to Classic. And the Chapter titles on your Tarzan book get truncated, in System Default and Calibre styles.

Phil
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:37 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Running Windows 7 with the "classic" theme.

Regards - John
Ah, try changing your theme to the default theme temporarily and see if it makes a difference.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:47 AM   #14
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member

Changed the theme and the "look and feel" back to default. and it worked as expected.

Odd thing. When using the default theme I lost the ability to resize the TOC window by itself.

Back to classic theme and the problem returns.

Regards - John
Old 06-09-2012, 08:49 AM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Hmm, I have no idea why your classic theme behaves differently or how to get it to not do that.