Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-29-2011, 02:43 PM   #61
John K
Reader
John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Last Night on Twisted River - John Irving
I'm working on this now. It's hard work. To keep my eyes open. Usually I like what you like but I'm on page 194 wondering what could possible fill another 300 pages?

Maybe it just that it's a time, place and people I'm already familiar with.
John K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:35 PM   #62
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
You won't be disappointed. I enjoyed it from the very start.
that is what i keep hearing .. .err reading. going to jump into it this weekend, i can't get away from john locke's donovan creed novels.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2011, 03:53 PM   #63
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
The most recent 5 star I've read is an older book: Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlien. I really enjoyed it!
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:49 PM   #64
Arthur Slade
Enthusiast
Arthur Slade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arthur Slade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arthur Slade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arthur Slade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arthur Slade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arthur Slade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arthur Slade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arthur Slade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arthur Slade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arthur Slade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arthur Slade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
The Hunger Games is by far one of the best books I've read in years. Just absolutely relentless. Am reading the sequel now and enjoying it, but not sure how it could match up to the original.
Arthur Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:14 PM   #65
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
As for the single quotes for dialog, I didn't even notice after the first few pages.
I should probably give it another go and push past the first few pages until I don't notice the quotes anymore! It's just when i first saw them I had to go and figure out what was going on! I had no idea that it was considered the correct puncutation for Australia/New Zealand. But by the time I finished reading up on it I sort of never picked up the story again.

I do agree her ebook formatting was lovely.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2011, 10:27 PM   #66
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
The most recent 5 star I've read is an older book: Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlien. I really enjoyed it!
Agreed! 5 stars for sure!
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:00 AM   #67
nastygurl22
nastygurl22 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I've read some of the ebooks from Jacob Drake too. I'm sure it's the same author, since the titles match. I haven't read all the vampire books yet, but I have read Superion and Forever Undead and Parallels and BABES & STUDS. Great books. Five stars.
nastygurl22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:20 PM   #68
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
The books I've read recently that I gave five-stars to were:
The Lock Artist by Stephen Hamilton
Beat the Reaper by Josh Bazell
The Damage Done by Hilary Davidson
A Beautiful Place to Die by Malla Nunn

All excellent.
L.J.
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:23 PM   #69
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Banana Yoshimoto's Kitchen was phenomenal for me. I have been reading alot of Japanese literature lately, and that one really struck a chord with me.
She has a new book that will be published on the 2nd or 3rd of May, in English. Kitchen was a five-star read for me, too. I've read it several times over.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:50 PM   #70
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
I don't keep track of stars, so I'm not sure. I read popular books, so I'm sure I must have read some.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:05 AM   #71
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
For me two memorable books over the last year.
'The White Tiger' by Aravind Adiga (the audio version is best)
'The Art of Racing in the Rain' by Garth Stein

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:46 AM   #72
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
test with > 5 characters
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:57 AM   #73
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I see lots of titles in this thread that I have read and enjoyed. The Blind Assassin, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, Radium Halos and The Brief History of the Dead were all excellent.

I have Ender's Game, Last Night on Twisted River and the Rothfuss novel on my to-read list.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:13 PM   #74
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I see lots of titles in this thread that I have read and enjoyed. The Blind Assassin, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, Radium Halos and The Brief History of the Dead were all excellent.
You mentioned Radium Halos (A novel about the Radium Dial Painters), by Shelley Stout, so I thought I'd post this link for anyone interested in the book: "Using Historical Fiction in the Classroom".

The beginning of the author's blog post:

What initially began as an offer to donate copies of my novel to area high schools, has now become an opportunity to share my story with thousands and potentially millions of young people across the country.

I'm so happy that the author has this incredible opportunity to share the book with such a wide audience. It's a story that needed to be told, the book is an enjoyable read, and students will find the subject interesting and relevant.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:53 PM   #75
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
You mentioned Radium Halos (A novel about the Radium Dial Painters), by Shelley Stout, so I thought I'd post this link for anyone interested in the book: "Using Historical Fiction in the Classroom".

The beginning of the author's blog post:

What initially began as an offer to donate copies of my novel to area high schools, has now become an opportunity to share my story with thousands and potentially millions of young people across the country.

I'm so happy that the author has this incredible opportunity to share the book with such a wide audience. It's a story that needed to be told, the book is an enjoyable read, and students will find the subject interesting and relevant.
It is interesting you mention that. I had a history prof. who assigned The Devil in Velvet by John Dickson Carr in his Stuart England class and The Daughter of Time by Joesphine Tey in his Tudor class. Incidentally, I would give both books 5 stars , though I haven't read them in years and lost my copy of Devil in Velvet.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote