Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-15-2010, 04:19 PM   #1
RodFrey
Rod Fitzsimmons Frey
RodFrey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Question Hoping for feedback

Hi. I'm new here since I just got my Kindle last week. I would like to ask a question about a Kindle application I'm thinking of developing. If this is out of bounds, I really do apologize - I don't mean to abuse the community here.

What I'm wondering is if anybody here thinks it would be a good idea to use your Kindle to access all the attachments (word documents, powerpoint files, spreadsheets, etc) in your email. That is, you could see lists of all the attachments you've ever received in your email, search them, etc. and if you want, select them and then have them accessible on your Kindle (usually as a PDF).

In my imagination the typical user would be somebody who always has their Kindle with them anyhow, and could fire it up on the train or whatever to review a proposal, look at a Word doc they were supposed to read, etc. and be able to do so spontaneously, without remembering to copy the file the day before.

I think *I'd* use it, but I'd like to know at least one other person would too, before I spend a month of my life building it.

Thanks for any insights!
Rod
RodFrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:28 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, RodFrey

Hopefully you'll get more feedback soon.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2010, 03:57 PM   #3
mowbray
mowbray began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Word documents definitely - I al ready do this manually - save to local disk and then reformat to A5 page and print to pdf.

How were you thinking of getting the documents onto the kindle?

I am not sure about powerpoint and excel etc as generally powerpoint are picture -heavy and wouldnt resize nicely for Kindle (2 anyway). Excel tends to be spread across the page and I dont think that would work well for the same reason.

I am interested in anything that simplifies getting the Word and other docs I work with every day onto to the kindle so I dont have to carry paper printouts around. (see my other threads on offline email and one-click copying of documents to kindle).
mowbray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:18 PM   #4
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
International K 2'ers dont have wireless access so your market is limited to the US.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 03:12 PM   #5
RodFrey
Rod Fitzsimmons Frey
RodFrey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Thanks for the feedback, mowbray and Pushka.

Pushka, don't the new Global Wireless devices have 3g access outside the U.S.?

mowbray, I planned on providing a browser for all your attachments that I could support, showing when you received it, who sent it, and a little bit of the message body. Choosing to download the attachment would send it through the Amazon email service. I'd convert XSL, PPT, etc. into PDFs on the server first.

I'd really like to provide more elegant access to documents rather than using the Amazon service (which costs extra, something like 15c/megabyte I think) but it doesn't seem to be possible right now with the device access Amazon is providing.
RodFrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2010, 09:20 PM   #6
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
No, in Australia (and presumably everywhere outside the US) we can only access Kindle store, and wikipedia. I think some may have worked around this, but not legally so.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:18 AM   #7
mowbray

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodFrey View Post
Thanks for the feedback, mowbray and Pushka.

Pushka, don't the new Global Wireless devices have 3g access outside the U.S.?

mowbray, I planned on providing a browser for all your attachments that I could support, showing when you received it, who sent it, and a little bit of the message body. Choosing to download the attachment would send it through the Amazon email service. I'd convert XSL, PPT, etc. into PDFs on the server first.

I'd really like to provide more elegant access to documents rather than using the Amazon service (which costs extra, something like 15c/megabyte I think) but it doesn't seem to be possible right now with the device access Amazon is providing.

What you could consider is generating a html file on the server/workstation side and transferring that to the Kindle using some sort of automatic copy facility every time that the Kindle was USB connected to the PC.

You would then have a list of all the attachments in your email and could highlight which ones you wanted to 'pull' next time you connect. If you dont want to use the Amazon service (and pay for it), then USB is your only real option (at least outside the US).
Old 02-18-2010, 05:19 AM   #8
mowbray

Oh, and by the way non-US kindles cost 0.99c/MB to send docs over Amazons service so it is really a bit of a non-starter for personal docs when USB is free.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:08 PM   #9
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodFrey View Post
Hi. I'm new here since I just got my Kindle last week. I would like to ask a question about a Kindle application I'm thinking of developing. If this is out of bounds, I really do apologize - I don't mean to abuse the community here.

What I'm wondering is if anybody here thinks it would be a good idea to use your Kindle to access all the attachments (word documents, powerpoint files, spreadsheets, etc) in your email. That is, you could see lists of all the attachments you've ever received in your email, search them, etc. and if you want, select them and then have them accessible on your Kindle (usually as a PDF).

In my imagination the typical user would be somebody who always has their Kindle with them anyhow, and could fire it up on the train or whatever to review a proposal, look at a Word doc they were supposed to read, etc. and be able to do so spontaneously, without remembering to copy the file the day before.

I think *I'd* use it, but I'd like to know at least one other person would too, before I spend a month of my life building it.

Thanks for any insights!
Rod
No way man feel free to post away. I think it starts to cross the line when people start pimping their product.

Now as to the feedback, I think that is a great idea, however I think saving the extension as a MOBI format would be much much more useful. With A MOBI format the Kindle user can use all of the features such as search, TTS, dictionary, etc. With the PDF you can only read.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote